• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just found my dream bike Honda CBX!

Reaction score
Just picked up this beauty yesterday, 1979 Honda CBX Super Sport! Long story short, was on the Dallas Craigslist, I was the first one to see it, call about it, and BUY IT! 20K original miles, ORIGINAL owner, long story short, the original owner bought it in 1980, rode it for about 20 years, then died in 2002 of cancer and the bike has been sitting in the parents garage ever since. The father passed away a few years ago, and the mother is in failing health now, so they finally decided to let this bike go and be restored to it's original glory! I'm not "new" to the vintage Honda world, I have a CX500 Turbo in my collection, and I have probably restored 30-40 V65 Magnas over the past 5 years, but this will be my first CBX resto! That is ASSUMING the motor is solid, and I was told that it was running when parked, so I'm hoping it will just need the basic carb clean, hydraulics flush, tank clean out, etc, etc, etc........So, here are some pics from yesterday, first time out of the garage in almost 10 years! Still has the original side covers in a box, he also threw in a BRAND NEW NOS set of gauges, tach and speedo! WOO HOO! Anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting up here more as the resto starts, it was an original red bike, I can see spots under the black paint on the tank. Also, haven't seen a chain guard like that one, I'm assuming it's aftermarket, along with the braided brake lines. I plan on having this bike in my collection for a VERY LONG time, I have been looking for a 79 CBX for probably 10 years, just was in the right place at the right time yesterday. Here are some pics, enjoy!

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

Very cool! My old motorcycle cop buddy had one and warmed it slightly. with the new exhaust system he put on it, it sounded like a 911 screaming up the road. Good luck with it.

You will spend all your time trying to synchronize the carbs :lol2:

It is, sure enough, a beautiful bike. :clap:

Nice find. I've heard the valve adjustments are fun.

I like seeing these old bike go to someone who can appreciate them and most especially to someone that has the skills to take care of them. Congratulations on your find!

Happy Motoring!

Very, very cool.

Amazing what parking in a garage can do to help preserve a bike.
I've seen 5 year old bikes that are always parked outside look like they've been kept at the bottom of the Gulf.

Actually worked on the bike a little bit on Sunday, enough to verify the motor sounded OK and I can now start the exhaust/engine removal to get the carbs out and have them rebuilt. I wish I were kidding about that statement, but carb removal on a CBX is not for the faint of heart, in the shop manual, it's called the "engine tilt" procedure. You are basically one bolt away from removing the entire engine! I'm going to have at it soon, but she's cleaning up pretty nice. I have my NOS gauges on eBay, hope that money will get me close to a new body set! Here are some more pics from yesterday, enjoy!

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/83GS1100E_Tornado/CBX_020601/?albumview=slideshow

Wow...she looks mean in the all-black scheme.

Good to see the beauty you've been talking about.

Glad to see another CBX getting back on the road and again don't hesitate to ask for help.

I am going from memory here, but I think one of the TWTEX inmates (TomN) is somewhat an officianato on the CBX. I think someone told me he has had 12 or 13 of these, may have turbo'd one, and may still have a few in his garage. He may be able to offer advice or help you with parts if you need it.

Nice find. I'd like to get one someday after hearing stories of the one that my stepdad had (that he ran head-on into a car in 1980 due to a drunk driver).

I am going from memory here, but I think one of the TWTEX inmates (TomN) is somewhat an officianato on the CBX. I think someone told me he has had 12 or 13 of these, may have turbo'd one, and may still have a few in his garage. He may be able to offer advice or help you with parts if you need it.

Thanks for the heads up, I sent him a PM and we're going to chat this weekend, he still has a couple and it sounds like he knows his stuff! I know I will appreciate his advice!!!

Great find! I really love these bikes, especially when it's a dead one being brought back to life.

Will help where I can, I will call you this weekend.

Cheers, Tom

When I was tinkering with them, I had over 12 complete bikes, the most I ever had running at the same time was 6, with insurance, inspection and title fees, it was more than I could afford. There have been a couple of folks in the Houston area that had more than 20 of these bikes at a time.

Attached is a pic taken around 2005 with the running part of the herd. In the line up are a '80 with custom wheels, bigger brakes better suspension. A '79 with custom paint, a '79 with turbo that we ran at Bonneville and the Texas Mile, a stock '79 silver model and a '82 with the fairing removed.

The second pic is me and my wife with the bikes, not our best picture, she had recently had a brain aneurysm and was fighting back to a normal life. This photo reminded us of some of the things we had and enjoyed. You can see some of the unique items each bike had from this picture.

I started thinning out the herd in 2007, still have a couple together running and a couple of them in parts. I was a great time in my life.

Cheers, Tom

Attachments

• My Harum.jpg
    My Harum.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 210
  • US.jpg
    US.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 214
We went 188 at Bonneville and 198 at Texas Mile, not too bad for a air cooled, unfaired bike designed for 135.

If you consider a Busa, water cooled and faired, designed for 190 and it runs 255, I think we did O.K.

Cheers, Tom

Back