• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A new ride for Sarah! (and subsequent OOPS!)

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab So a few months ago I got an unexpected PM from another TWT user telling me about an offer too good to refuse... As you might expect, that kind of kicks my radar into gear and makes me wonder what is going on. I was offered a used Honda XR80R... for free. Of course I immediately wonder why someone wants to give me a free bike and what might be wrong with it :ponder: I was assured that there was nothing major wrong with it, the few minor issues would be fixed, and the bike would even be delivered! The only condition was that I post up pics of the kids enjoying the bike. I can take pics and who doesn't want a free bike that is in good condition!? What is really amazing is that for a few weeks prior to this I had been thinking about Sarah needing a bigger bike because she was getting cramped on the XR50 she had been riding!! The timing could not have been better! So I agreed!

:tab Life gets in the way and various things came up in the coming weeks that prevented the deal from going down as soon as we were hoping. However, things eventually worked out, Snoopster donated some space next to her bike in the back of her truck, and her and Rainmaker met the owner and picked up the bike for us. She keeps her bike in our garage so it was on the way for her ;-) The kids were EXCITED and wanted to ride it NOW! :lol2: Daniel was bummed that Sarah was getting a bike he could not ride on his own, but he is still too short. Sarah can reach with one leg and hold it up. Daniel still fits the TTR-50E but Sarah was getting pretty cramped on it or the XR50. So for now, this bike is for her... and me! :trust:

2003 Honda XR80R
SVF_3508.jpg

:tab For a ten year old dirt bike, this bike is in great shape! Snoopster gives me all the extras, user guide, Clymer manual, and 50 feet of new header pipe fiber wrap. It has an after market exhaust and the header pipe has no shield.

:tab It fires on the first kick and idles great! I take it for a spin around the bike yard just to get a feel for it. Then I take Sarah riding around the yard for a bit. She LOVES it! But she is a bit intimidated by the height and the fact that this bike has a real clutch, unlike the TTR50 and XR50. Anyway, it gets dark real soon so we put the bike away.

:tab A few days later, I apply the fiber wrap to the header pipe. I've never done it before, but it was real easy. A few days after that, Daniel and I head out back to do some riding. He loves for me to chase him around the yard. After doing it on my KTM for a bit, I switched to the XR80R. As warned in the instructions, the new wrap smokes and STINKS. But it does work. While hot to the touch, it is not an instant skin/pant burn as would happen with the bare header. The smoke and stink eventually go away after about an hour of chasing Daniel all over the place.

:tab So finally... This afternoon after church Sarah wants to ride. I had been talking to her about how the clutch works, how to find first and neutral, how to find the friction zone, how NOT to wheelie, how to slowly feed in the gas, how to brake, etc,... It is hard not to overwhelm her with information. So we just head to the backyard and I explain that before she even tries to ride, we'll just experiment with the friction zone.

:tab First, I put her on the back and we talk while I ride around the yard. I have her watch my hand and let her feel the bike start to move as I let out the clutch. I get her to listen to the sound of the engine as I start to slip the clutch. I show her how the engine can rev like crazy but the bike won't move so long as the clutch is disengaged. I show her how to make slow turns while letting the engine rev and using the clutch to control speed. Then it was time for her to do it...

First some posing :-P
SVF_3488.jpg

:tab We get her helmet on, get the bike started, and then she climbs aboard. Since she can't reach the ground with both feet, I hold the bike up for her and we practice just slipping the clutch at idle until she gets the feel for the start of the friction zone. I have the idle set just a tad high so that the bike is not as likely to stall if she doesn't feed in the gas soon or fast enough. I also have her start in second gear. First is REAL low and I don't want her having to worry about shifting right now.

:tab After a few minutes of playing with the friction zone, she's ready to try riding. I steady the bike and cover the clutch with my hand over hers so I can grab it if she lets it out too fast. I talk her through slipping it out and feeding it the gas to get the bike rolling. The bike moves a few feet... and she is away!! Our arrangement is that when she is ready to stop, she'll come toward me slowly and yell, "STOP!" I'll grab the bars and ensure the clutch is disengaged. As she moves away, I grab the camera.

SVF_3489.jpg

SVF_3490.jpg

SVF_3491.jpg

SVF_3492.jpg

:tab She makes a big loop to the other end of the yard, executes a nice turn while keeping her eyes up and looking through the turn, then comes back toward me. "STOP!" She slowly coasts right up to me, already having the clutch in, and I grab the bars and cover the clutch. I show her how to do the thigh on the seat with one foot down, but she is still a bit nervous about that, so one thing at a time. I ask if she wants to go again. She does, but wants me to get her pointed in the right direction. I get her oriented and steady her for the next attempt. Once again, she pulls away with no problem and this time does 4-5 loops around the yard before deciding to call it quits... before I got any video! :doh:

SVF_3495.jpg

SVF_3500.jpg

SVF_3502.jpg

SVF_3504.jpg

SVF_3506.jpg

SVF_3507.jpg

:tab She was nervous when we started, but I reminded her of how well she rides the other bike and that once she was rolling this would be no different. She did great! The reach to the clutch is a bit long and the pull is a bit hard for her, but she will get it. Then I'll work with her on shifting gears. I think what makes me most proud is how well she listened the explanations and how she executed the steps flawlessly. It did wonders for her confidence.

:tab Well, it was a BEAUTIFUL day!! I found Rachel and Daniel sitting on the couch watching a Curious George video and shooed them out the back door. Sooo... Daniel decided he needed to ride. He has pretty much claimed the TTR50 as his own and Rachel rides the XR50. Rachel wanted to ride as well, but one of the wheels on the moose training wheels had come apart :doh: Fortunately, when I bought the TTR50, it came with a set of Moose training wheels as well. Since Daniel has long since moved on from those, I swapped one of the wheels and we were good to go. But first I shot a few pics of Daniel riding. Once I got on the XR50 with Rachel, I was WAY to busy hanging on for dear life to be taking pictures! Like Daniel, her throttle hand only has two settings... ON and OFF! So I ride with her to steer and cover the throttle/brakes in case I need to override her actions.

Daniel likes to ZOOM the length of the ditch across the front yard and try to jump the drive way by riding up the hump next to the culvert... Yeah... it makes me cringe a bit, but he never misses.
SVF_3509.jpg

I showed him how to zig-zag along the length of the ditch to get used to swerving the bike and also shifting his weight because of the slope of the ditch sides. We watch for traffic since we are on the edge of the road (very little traffic anyway).
SVF_3510.jpg

A tiny bit of air under the front wheel!
SVF_3511.jpg

Rachel get's impatient for me to get her bike going
SVF_3513.jpg

SVF_3516.jpg

Daniel helps her gear up while I fix her bike
SVF_3518.jpg

SVF_3519.jpg

:tab We spend the next forty-five minutes chasing each other around the yard, around the trees, through the woods, down the ditches, and over the driveway. Near the end, Rachel was finally starting to show that she grasps the concept of part throttle :clap: I REALLY need to get the little throttle stop screw back in before I turn her loose on her own. Then we have to work on that whole looking where you are going and looking where you want to go thing... :shock:

:tab I finished up by letting Daniel ride on the back of the XR80 for a few "hot laps" around the back yard. It was a great chance to really show him the importance of body position when turning. He wants to lean like a road bike instead of pushing the bike down, but he is getting better at it. I also took the opportunity to go ahead and talk with him about the clutch while we were putting around. Then after a few ZOOMS across the yard, we parked the bikes for the day. While putting away the gear I lost track of the number of times he told me how much fun he had riding on the back of the XR80! :lol2:

:tab All in all, a great day with the kids! :bow:

Last edited:
Re: A new ride for Sarah!

Congrats, what a blast it looks like the kids are having and you have room for them to ride. Compared to the 50cc it looks Huge!

Nice work, Dad...and kudos to the giver of all that fun! :sun:

that's fantastic!!! she's lovely (as is your other little one, and a handsome son) and i noticed right away in the pics that she's keeping her head and eyes up. great job.
i remember when my dad bought me and my bro our honda z50s (early 70's).... we had a blast and it looks like your kids are, too. i so hope to turn our grandkids on to riding....
great job dad.

Great pictures. Looks like Sara fits the bike well. She'll grow into the knee armor! :lol2:

100% awesomeness!! Nice read!!

Kids are lookin' great. Love Sarah's intensely focused eyes in those shots. :rider:

How about from 7 years ago? Taken at Phil's, June 29, 2006.
2045137492_000401295e_z.jpg

Wow... there is a distinct lack of grey in my beard in that shot! Probably more hair under the hat too :lol2:

Great bike for her! Both of my sons had time on the XR-80. I had tons of fun playing with it in the trails too. A couple of adults actually got their dirt legs on our bike too. Darn fine bikes.

:clap:That is good stuff. Im looking for a crf 150f for my son now. It will be his first bike with a clutch, we did the TTR90 after the XR50 so still no clutch. I hope he will take to as well as Sarah.

I spent many an hour on an XL80 and XR75 as a kid. My friend I would ride from daylight until dark most Saturdays. Those things a bulit proof. I also learned basic maint. to ensure it was always ready to ride.:rider:

Scott, you have beautiful kids, why did you not show the boys face? :lol2: I have never met their mother, but she must be gorgeous, cuz you aint. Peace, have all the fun, y'all.

awesome!
sounds like they had fun.
and it really sounds like they have a good teacher.

That was a nice gesture of the forum member to offer the bike!
And... very good story and pictures too.

:tab I did some riding with Daniel this evening. We started with him on the back and just cruising around the yard. I covered a lot of the same stuff that I did with Sarah, showing and explaining the friction zone, gear positions, slipping the clutch at low speeds, executing tight turns and positioning the body, etc,... He really liked that. Then he wanted to sit in front of me. So we did that for a while. This let him see better what I was doing with the clutch/throttle. He liked that as well. Then he wanted me to chase him around for a bit while he rode the TTR50. He loves that!

:tab I really wish we lived somewhere that had a good pasture, empty lot with some hills, etc,... right near the house so we could ride the bikes there and play. Somehow I always lived near such places when I was growing up. As it is, I have to load the bikes to go ride anywhere else. I don't have a truck, just two minivans. So it just makes that a bit more of a logistical pain in terms of the time it takes before and after the riding. I don't always have 3-4 hours to spend loading up, going somewhere else, unloading and riding, then loading up to get home and having to put everything away. Often I only have maybe an hour or so at best. Also, paying for park riding adds up. The SHNF is not too bad cost wise but still has the time issue. Occasionally we are able to take the bikes over to my parents property and ride some of the trails in the back of their ten acres. I kind of jokingly mentioned to Beth this evening that it would be cool to bring in some dirt and build a little track in the backyard. Amazingly she did not instantly look at me like I was nuts :lol2: It would cost a lot and I don't really have the equipment to be shoving dirt around to make a track. She also likes the "lawn" look of the yard.

:tab Anyway, at least we have a yard now where they can ride as much as they do. When we lived in town there was not a lot of room to play in the yard we had. I just don't want them to get bored with riding because they get bored with just riding in our yard.

I can't wait til I can get mine going on a 50. Sooooooooooo looking forward to it.

There's a big field and some trails at the edge of my neighborhood that is perfect for learning dirt... I take my pathfinder out there sometimes after it rains just so I don't look like a poser in an suv lol

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do"

- www.pjsparts.com

Back