• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2001 Suzuki Bandit 600 low beam headlight wont stay in place. Advice?

Reaction score
Why do incredibly bad designs get put into production? This low beam headlamp assembly - housing SHOULD just easily snap into place over headlamp bulb, but NOOOOOO! Instead it keeps falling off, the round short plastic tubular piece that should just click over top & bottom notches only fits over top or bottom but not both. And the notches in circular plastic piece attached to bulb socket is made too narrow so easily falls out with vibration even if the tubular piece were to snap in place on top and bottom correctly.

The man helping me explore this **** show of a design to try to get it to stay in place is the teacher of an auto repair class I'm taking. He's been working for over 30 years in auto repair, maintaining hundreds of San Francisco city fleet vehicles and others. And he too was flummoxed by how utterly idiotic, non functional the design is and how to get it to simply stay firmly reliably in place so headlight bulb stays in place.

Any 2001 suzuki bandit 600 owners - mechanics have similar issue and how did you fix it?

#suzukibandit #bandit600 #motorcycle #suzukibandit600 #motorcycles #motorcycling #motorcycletravel #motorcyclerepair

Attachments

• 20191121_150005.jpg
    20191121_150005.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 20191121_153045.jpg
    20191121_153045.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 447
  • 20190924_145037.jpg
    20190924_145037.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 20190924_145056.jpg
    20190924_145056.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 478
My first thought is that it is a 2001 piece of plastic that has had the heat generated by the bulb for 18 years and probably is not as flexible as it once was as the heat has made it harder than it originally was. Heat it in a pot of water for a time period to see if you can get some flexibility back.

Second thought is that possibly it is not the correct part, have you owned it since new? If not possibly the previous owner ordered a replacement part and was not given the correct one would not be the first time as a part is discontinued that a close substitute was sold.

Check someone like Ron Ayers microfiche to see if the part looks the same or if there is a superseded part number

Or it could just be a piss poor design that you have to deal with

Why does that outer ring with "TOP" embossed on it appear to be upside down? Is that ring supposed to be removed to remove/install the headlamp bulb? And the plastic piece you're manipulating is an adapter to fit DOT-sized bulb to the JP-spec lamp housing? I'm throwing out a guess here.
So the sequence would be: remove the outer retainer ring, put bulb in place and snap plastic holder in behind it, then reinstall outer retainer ring. Remember to thread the connector and wire through all the pieces.

Why do incredibly bad designs get put into production? This low beam headlamp assembly - housing SHOULD just easily snap into place over headlamp bulb, but NOOOOOO! Instead it keeps falling off, the round short plastic tubular piece that should just click over top & bottom notches only fits over top or bottom but not both. And the notches in circular plastic piece attached to bulb socket is made too narrow so easily falls out with vibration even if the tubular piece were to snap in place on top and bottom correctly.

The man helping me explore this **** show of a design to try to get it to stay in place is the teacher of an auto repair class I'm taking. He's been working for over 30 years in auto repair, maintaining hundreds of San Francisco city fleet vehicles and others. And he too was flummoxed by how utterly idiotic, non functional the design is and how to get it to simply stay firmly reliably in place so headlight bulb stays in place.

Any 2001 suzuki bandit 600 owners - mechanics have similar issue and how did you fix it?

#suzukibandit #bandit600 #motorcycle #suzukibandit600 #motorcycles #motorcycling #motorcycletravel #motorcyclerepair
I have a 2003 bandit 1200 had the same exact issue today when I was trying to reinstall the left, low beam assembly. I tried Budzrex's advice to heat up the plastic Bulb socket holder. Got a pot if water close to boiling through in the socket. This is never going to work I'm thinking to myself. Olaced The socket holder in the water for about a minute, then took it out to the garage and it snapped right in place. Thanks Budzrez. I got my light put back together again and it works. this Should takes care of the Fairing rattle And erractic headlight.

Back