• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Gravel Guy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Drumm
Bigger engine, Water-cooled, more HP, better mileage, bigger fuel tank, more rear wheel travel.
A better Himalayan?

Now that's very cool! I love the more retro look, but yet modern engine, i.e. fuel injection. I don't know much about R.E. though; how reliable are they really? Are their engines clones of a Japanese brand, much like some of the communist engines are?

Now that's very cool! I love the more retro look, but yet modern engine, i.e. fuel injection. I don't know much about R.E. though; how reliable are they really? Are their engines clones of a Japanese brand, much like some of the communist engines are?
They design and build their own motors "in house".

I have experience owning a fairly recent Royal Enfield (not a Himalayan specifically). It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I still made sure my wife knew where the extra key to my truck was kept and where the ramp was stored in the garage. Last thing I would have considered would be going off road anyplace that would be a difficult rescue. More of a ride to the Post Office or hardware store sort of bike for me. They're fun motorcycles, but I wouldn't get into a position where one could ruin my day.

I have experience owning a fairly recent Royal Enfield (not a Himalayan specifically). It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I still made sure my wife knew where the extra key to my truck was kept and where the ramp was stored in the garage. Last thing I would have considered would be going off road anyplace that would be a difficult rescue. More of a ride to the Post Office or hardware store sort of bike for me. They're fun motorcycles, but I wouldn't get into a position where one could ruin my day.
@10mm Nut So it let you down? How many times were you rescued? And, how many miles did you ride it? :sun:

I had trouble with it twice. I don’t remember the exact details but I wound up buying a new wiring sub harness from one of those overseas RE parts dealers off of eBay. It was stupid cheap. Like 20-30 dollars I believe. Cheap enough that I didn’t even bother going back over to the dealer (RE of Fort Worth) to make an issue about the whole deal.

I liked the bike. I don’t remember how many miles I rode it. Certainly not a lot. I’m sure it was less than 5000 miles. I wound up doing some custom work to it to make my own Scrambler type of bike and a dude jumped up and bought it from me real quick.

When I’m home on my laptop I’ll find pictures. It was a cool bike and I’d have another if the right one popped up. I just don’t love my local dealer.

I had trouble with it twice. I don’t remember the exact details but I wound up buying a new wiring sub harness from one of those overseas RE parts dealers off of eBay. It was stupid cheap. Like 20-30 dollars I believe. Cheap enough that I didn’t even bother going back over to the dealer (RE of Fort Worth) to make an issue about the whole deal.

I liked the bike. I don’t remember how many miles I rode it. Certainly not a lot. I’m sure it was less than 5000 miles. I wound up doing some custom work to it to make my own Scrambler type of bike and a dude jumped up and bought it from me real quick.

When I’m home on my laptop I’ll find pictures. It was a cool bike and I’d have another if the right one popped up. I just don’t love my local dealer.
Thanks for sharing! 👍🏻

3 year, unlimited mileage warranty on all their new bikes, with roadside assistance included. RE isn’t afraid to stand behind their product.

Just be careful not to fall for the false reputation trap. IRL I have only had experience with on the road breakdowns during rides with Suzuki and Honda motorcycles. The Triumphs have been 100% perfect. I actually think reliability of most motorcycles comes from expectations of the owner and their willingness to spend money and do things right. You buy a $4K brand new Royal Enfield, you're not going to spend $1000 service for it. But if you have $23K into a BMW, sure thing, that $1K seems natural. You kind of get what you pay for.

FWIW this largely explains why my basketcase "free" !Vespa is so horribly unreliable. The only available parts are super cheap and poor quality. Nobody knows how to work on it, so I do everything myself, and I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. OTOH my recent Vespa GTS purchase, I've already spent more on parts and tools than the entire time I owned the other one. My guess is the salvage bike is likely to be far more reliable, just because I can buy Piaggo factory parts and don't mind spending the money on it.

Found some. Mine was a Bullet 500. I’m a ceramic/powder coat guy so I pulled a bunch of parts and coated them. Built a little slip on exhaust. Different tires. Built a rear rack.

IMG_8321.jpeg

IMG_8315.jpeg

I hope no one draws the wrong conclusion about my earlier post. It was a neat bike. I liked goofing with it. It was poorly assembled and had a bit of a Harbor Freight third world vibe. But it was cheap and it was fun. I’m half heartedly looking for another RE currently which is why I opened the thread in the first place.

But, I’m not gonna ride one very far off the beaten path alone. Warranty or not, you’re dependent on a very thin network of dealers here in the US.

I tell you they put them through torture in India , and like a Timex they keep ticking . Bubble gum and duct tape kind of magic . If I went abroad to travel on a bike in a country like that Royal would be my choice over my 26K BMW .

AND..........Itchy Boots rode all around the world on one without many issues and she beat the crap out of it. Also when Ryan Fortnine did an oil test on new motors, Royal Enfield was at the top. I'm not saying I'm voiuching for them but going by one persons experience is a little unfair! Also, Royal Enfield re-invented themselves a few years back and supposedly completely revamped all their factories.

Last edited:
Back