• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

690 real offroad?

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Anybody ride single track on KTM 690? I know the 500 KTM or Beta will be way better, but they aren't very enjoyable on asphalt. Just wondering how serious you can get on one. This is southeast Tx, so won't be rocky hill climbs, but my park does have climbs with not much run at them. Just curious as I pipe dream on a rainy morning.
Really like to hear from someone who does it, not why I shouldn't, I know those reasons, lol. Part of the fun taking a bigger bike where it shouldn't be!------lol
Have great Memorial Day!!

Had a lot of great replies on this on Facebook d/s page! Thinking making trail riding challenging again instead of trail racing all the time. Maybe I'm dumb, not sure. Well i am but.... I think a lot like @Jarrett

I've spent time on @South Tex husky 701 and I think I could make it around emma long with it. It's a heavy dirtbike in my opinion and all the power is higher in the rev range, not much low end torque

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've been thinking of a 690 as well other than my GSA but I fear it won't be light enough for what some people ride here or in BDRs. I'm also a noob on dirt.

I've spent time on @South Tex husky 701 and I think I could make it around emma long with it. It's a heavy dirtbike in my opinion and all the power is higher in the rev range, not much low end torque

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

i think with a lower front sprocket it could handle the slow stuff. Being #230 I still lean forward on take offs to keep the front end on the ground, it’s that much power! A very underrated and over looked bike. It’s my go to bike for dirt roads and -200 mile days.

@Rsquared should be able to give you some good feedback.

Funny as I type this I have a dim memory of you having a 690 back in the day...am I losing my mind? I believe the 2016 and up got a steering head angle change to turn a little tighter and a small boost in performance.

I think it will go just about anywhere you want to go. You just have to ride accordingly, not as fast not as easy in the tight stuff. When the terrain opens up it should be fun. The bikes of yesteryear were heavy and had poor suspension and were ridden all over the land. I wouldn’t mind having one along with my old 525, but if I could only have one it will be the 525 for what I like to do.

I’ve gone through several motorcycles and have now owned my 690 longer than any other bike. I’ve toured with big bikes on it, gone on week long camping trips off of it, and my son actually rode it down Black Bear pass last year. For me, it’s the most versatile bike there is, and if I could only have one bike, it would be the 690.

Disclaimer: it’s not a good touring mount, nor is it a good single track bike, but it’ll sure do either...

I started off with only the 690 for both single track and dual sport. Until I got the lighter, more nimble 500 I thought it did very well at many of the local trails areas such as RRMT, Bridgeport, etc.. Now I feel that if you've tasted the lighter bikes you won't be satisfied with the 690 very long before you go and get another lighter bike. That said, if I had to get rid of either the 500 or the 690 I'd keep the 690.

I can't think of any two track I have ever seen in Texas that the 690 would not be able to handle... :shrug: For single track, it would do it, but it won't be ANYTHING like your 300! :whatever: Roger's 690 chugged up those steep rocky climbs in Colorado like a comfy mule. I did not find it any more difficult to ride than my 530 and it had a cushier seat :-P As for twisties, I have never noticed Roger dropping behind when we wicked up the pace in Arkansas, Colorado, or North Carolina :rider:

Subcomm just rode his all over Cloudcroft. I took a little time off my 350 to ride his. It took rim trail like a champ and was able to handle steep hills with little issue . The weight showed occasionally bit if you keep it moving it'll get there. Momentum is key.
Now I have a big taste for one too.

Attachments

• 20200522_141642.jpg
    20200522_141642.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 20200523_093516.jpg
    20200523_093516.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20200522_105100.jpg
    20200522_105100.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 194
Subcomm just rode his all over Cloudcroft. I took a little time off my 350 to ride his. It took rim trail like a champ and was able to handle steep hills with little issue . The weight showed occasionally bit if you keep it moving it'll get there. Momentum is key.
Now I have a big taste for one too.
I do want one with a front tire on, lol.

Funny as I type this I have a dim memory of you having a 690 back in the day...am I losing my mind? I believe the 2016 and up got a steering head angle change to turn a little tighter and a small boost in performance.

I think it will go just about anywhere you want to go. You just have to ride accordingly, not as fast not as easy in the tight stuff. When the terrain opens up it should be fun. The bikes of yesteryear were heavy and had poor suspension and were ridden all over the land. I wouldn’t mind having one along with my old 525, but if I could only have one it will be the 525 for what I like to do.
Your memory serves you well. For whatever reason never tried it on trails, duh. Loved it on 2 track and gravel. Hated it on the road. But I never learn. Don't think I gave it enough time as usual. Jarrett style.

I can't think of any two track I have ever seen in Texas that the 690 would not be able to handle... :shrug: For single track, it would do it, but it won't be ANYTHING like your 300! :whatever: Roger's 690 chugged up those steep rocky climbs in Colorado like a comfy mule. I did not find it any more difficult to ride than my 530 and it had a cushier seat :-P As for twisties, I have never noticed Roger dropping behind when we wicked up the pace in Arkansas, Colorado, or North Carolina :rider:
Yeah. But Roger is young, strong and a very excellent rider. What about us ageing, puny, plodders?

Back