• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

96 rm125 No power when taking off

Reaction score
I have a Suzuki 2 stroke that I can't climb a high spot in my yard with ,but runs great once I'm halfway through first gear. But at low rpm in any gear I have to rev up and feather the clutch. I've replaced crank seals, new top end, new reeds I don't think it's a jetting issue. Nothing has helped at all

Sounds like a 90s 125 to me. Has it always ran like that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. My Wife's old KX100 was the same way but probably a little worse. Gutless would have been an understatement of how the bottom end power was. Once it came alive though, you better be hanging on because it was either going to try and wheelie you off the back, or spin the rear wheel.

Sounds like power valve not functioning. Could be gummed up or linkage or spring. I'm not familiar with this particular model and how it moves. The function of the power valve is to broaden the torque curve on a 2-stroke by partially blocking the exhaust at low rpm.

Like noted above these bikes are not know for their power down low. With 125cc mx bike you usually pin the throttle and control speed buy shifting gears keeping it "on the pipe" all the time.

I have a Suzuki 2 stroke that I can't climb a high spot in my yard with ,but runs great once I'm halfway through first gear. But at low rpm in any gear I have to rev up and feather the clutch. I've replaced crank seals, new top end, new reeds I don't think it's a jetting issue. Nothing has helped at all
Its a 125. When it develops power higher in the powerband it is telling you that its power is derived from rpms, not torque. Using higher rpm it will probably climb just about anything you will encounter.

Well I bought it with an incomplete engine,so I had to buy and install stator and magneto,carb,coil, complete exhaust, reeds, clutch and everything inside the clutch cases and radiators. And It has new crank seals. And I've ridden other 125s around the same year and this one is bad. I can rev it up and if I don't feather the clutch a lot it tries to die. But around halfway through the rpm it runs like a scalded dog.

Sounds like power valve not functioning. Could be gummed up or linkage or spring. I'm not familiar with this particular model and how it moves. The function of the power valve is to broaden the torque curve on a 2-stroke by partially blocking the exhaust at low rpm.

Like noted above these bikes are not know for their power down low. With 125cc mx bike you usually pin the throttle and control speed buy shifting gears keeping it "on the pipe" all the time.
I believe I will take it apart and check the power valve. I just replaced the piston and ring a couple months ago and it runs just like it did a year ago when I got it. Maybe I'm missing something. But it won't pull the front end up unless I'm at the top of the rpm range. I've ridden 2 strokes my whole life. And I've never had one run like this. But I also have an rmx250 and I honestly don't think I'm thinking it's worse than it is based on the comparison of my 250. I honestly think it's running bad and not just a 125. Lol

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. My Wife's old KX100 was the same way but probably a little worse. Gutless would have been an understatement of how the bottom end power was. Once it came alive though, you better be hanging on because it was either going to try and wheelie you off the back, or spin the rear wheel.
It's just that,a 90s 125. But I think this one is a little weaker than the usual 125. Because it won't run over a dog turd without a running start. God forbid I tried taking off with the tire rested on one. I'd have to back up and go around it. But seriously I ride around a lot of plowed fields and if I get in some soft sand it will just kill it. It's really frustrating.

How are the reeds?

You sure it's not your jets? Checked your float height? Run some Seafoam through; can't hurt either way.

Back