• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Riding Places near Corpus Christi area?

TX_F2

Reaction score
I have a Goldwing for the street, but have been thinking about getting a dualsport or street legal enduro for some fun IF there are places near me (other than the beach) to go riding. Everything I am aware of is hours away to get to some riding trails, and I am unaware of any dirt county roads or farm to market roads near me.

Is there anywhere near me to ride a DS off pavement, or just like for the street.........all the good places are hours away from here to get to ?

Longest beach in the USA…. At your door step. Dual sport Heaven🤩

There's dirt roads, mostly through fields/farms but still state roads. I'm in RocRockport and there's dirt within 30 min of me but it's nothing more than dirt roads. Get around Beeville or live oak county and the dirt roads are better running through the country... rolling hills etc. Run 4 hrs northwest and you have some good riding in the hill country. I've been debating hitting the beach and riding... saltwater isn't great for motorcycles.... so I'm hesitant.

Longest beach in the USA…. At your door step. Dual sport Heaven🤩

Yeah, been there lots of times going to Little Shell and Big Shell in the truck. Riding in sand just doesn't seem like a bunch fun to me, it's not like it's Glamis. It's just flat and mostly straight with a few pull offs into the "bowl" area up behind the dunes.

There's dirt roads, mostly through fields/farms but still state roads. I'm in RocRockport and there's dirt within 30 min of me but it's nothing more than dirt roads. Get around Beeville or live oak county and the dirt roads are better running through the country... rolling hills etc. Run 4 hrs northwest and you have some good riding in the hill country. I've been debating hitting the beach and riding... saltwater isn't great for motorcycles.... so I'm hesitant.
All you darn riders on your GS's , Tenere's, other ADV bikes and enduro's posting pics in the Daily Rides thread is why I got this sudden itch. Lol

Guys posting pics trail riding enduros over near Houston at SHNF, guys posting pics up near Austin or Dallas riding ADV bikes, man it looks fun!

Unfortunately, I'm not wanting to haul a bike for hours to a riding spot. I was looking into smaller street legal enduro's or smaller displacement dualsports, so riding them for hours on the road just to get to the off pavement spots isn't really going to be fun.

I got my Goldwing because I got tired of riding my sportbike for hours just to get to any good riding spots. By the time I got up there to them, rode around, I dreaded the hours long ride back home with my back and wrists hurting by then. Now I'm riding a Lazy Boy on wheels, comfortable anywhere I go. Unfortunately, I figured there probably was no trail riding spots down here but I was holding out hope. Just the price we pay for living at the beach, everything is flat and straight.

All you darn riders on your GS's , Tenere's, other ADV bikes and enduro's posting pics in the Daily Rides thread is why I got this sudden itch. Lol

Guys posting pics trail riding enduros over near Houston at SHNF, guys posting pics up near Austin or Dallas riding ADV bikes, man it looks fun!

Unfortunately, I'm not wanting to haul a bike for hours to a riding spot. I was looking into smaller street legal enduro's or smaller displacement dualsports, so riding them for hours on the road just to get to the off pavement spots isn't really going to be fun.

I got my Goldwing because I got tired of riding my sportbike for hours just to get to any good riding spots. By the time I got up there to them, rode around, I dreaded the hours long ride back home with my back and wrists hurting by then. Now I'm riding a Lazy Boy on wheels, comfortable anywhere I go. Unfortunately, I figured there probably was no trail riding spots down here but I was holding out hope. Just the price we pay for living at the beach, everything is flat and straight.
That's one of the main reasons I love my GS, it's comfortable if I need to super slab somewhere or commute. Capable of some offroad, and more spirited riding in twisties etc. And it looks really cool in my garage... LOL

It is pretty flat and boring down here on the coast. I like hills, and trees and fresh water!!!! Beach is cool, guess I'm just numb to it.

Is there anywhere near me to ride a DS off pavement...
I've never done it, but I got invited this week to go to Corpus and DS it down the beach where apparently there's about 60 miles of beach to ride. I was there on Thurs, bought some passes at the entrance gate, asked about it, and told it was OK to ride on the beach.

A friend yesterday that's not going on that ride was telling me also. He also told me during the week, a few miles from that main road, there are very few if any people and the camping is great. My bike has a problem and my wrist has a problem so I'll have to go another time.

Padre Island Natinal Seashore is a great place but the one time I took the KTM down there I coulnt rinse it off immediately and I had serious rust in one day.

Padre Island Natinal Seashore is a great place but the one time I took the KTM down there I coulnt rinse it off immediately and I had serious rust in one day.
Exactly, if you stand still long enough you will rust down here! LOL

I'm just going to face the fact that there is no place to ride off road here. lol.

Riding straight in the sand doesn't interest me.

I started Wednesday rides at Zar's and there was a guy that drove up from Corpus to ride. Might not be the most convenient, but it's a place to ride. Not sure if he posts here.

Edit: He does post here. Last seen August 2022.

I started Wednesday rides at Zar's and there was a guy that drove up from Corpus to ride.
Zar's should only be about 2.5 hours from Corpus, but I'd think you would want to truck or trailer there. Your probably wanting to ride more local, but it is an option.

Last edited:
Inlaw you quote me but I don't see a comment.

Here's the original thread: http://www.clubdbsa.org/forums/showthread.php?1197-Wednesday-or-Thursday-Mornings

I pretty much quit using it. Guess there were 4 of us original Wed guys. 1 guy passed away about 2 years ago, 1 guy crashed, got hurt and doesn't ride anymore...man it was ugly, and I haven't seen or heard from Peacock in quite a while.

We were out there last Wed but I had a mechanical so wasn't there long.

Last edited by a moderator:
There used to be a "track" named DDMX in Robstown. I've never been there, but you might want to check it out.

We lived in CC for 15 years, but always vacationed in the Hill Country. Now I'm luck enough to be within minutes of some of the best riding in TX and have 20 acres of hills (and rocks) to call my own outside of Kerrville. It's not the Colorado mountains I grew up with, but it's good for TX.

Do I know you? I see you have SA listed.

Couple folks here with SA or nearby listed but I can't put the screenname to a name or face.

There was a guy a couple years ago that brought his 1190 out to Zar's. Gotta give him an A+ for effort. He tried this off camber thing twice. I was behind him the first time and a tree caught his bar. Second time I stood on flat ground and watched. You can see the cleared path from the first time. Often wondered if he posted here.

Attachments

• 17 Feb 2019 KTM 1190 - 1.JPG
    17 Feb 2019 KTM 1190 - 1.JPG
    896.5 KB · Views: 74
Zar's should only be about 2.5 hours from Corpus, but I'd think you would want to truck or trailer there. Your probably wanting to ride more local, but it is an option.
Exactly correct, I was hoping for something local I could ride a small DS to or even trailer it to a spot within an hour away. A 5 hr round trip drive to Zar's would be way further than I would want to go, and Hidden Falls as well as SHNF is about a 500 Mile round trip. I have given up on my DS or Enduro wish and will just have to live vicariously through you guys and your Ride Report photos. Lol

Thank you to everyone who replied though!

I live here in Corpus and try to ride often. Locally it’s just dirt roads around here. If your looking for dirt trails Zars is your best bet. I‘m a member if your interested in trying it out. I ride PINS every now and then for grins. It’s good sand practice and beats sitting around the house. The solitude is great as long as you are prepared for isolation if something goes wrong. I have riding buddies around the state. We met here on twtex and have done a number of BDR rides as well as trails in Ark, NM and CO. Send me a PM if your interested in meeting up.

Have you checked this place out? I don't know anything about it, but Danny @ Dynamo Cycle is a great guy and could probably tell you more.
Screenshot_20230131_183101_Facebook.jpg

Have you checked this place out? I don't know anything about it, but Danny @ Dynamo Cycle is a great guy and could probably tell you more.

The guys at Dynamo are all pretty cool. Always fun to stop by there.

I'm looking to do an overnight on PINS sometime in the next month or two. One other guy on another DR650 will be joining me. It's just one of those things that I want to be able to say I have done. I'm looking forward to the sand practice...but am dreading it at the same time. I currently have very little sand experience. I guess I'll be diving in the deep end (hopefully only figuratively). :)

I live in Corpus and ride plenty of off road. It's there of you know where to look. Head out to San Diego, Freer, towards Beeville, etc.

Just did a weekend in the hill country and had a really good time there also.

20221015_122522.jpg

Back