• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Vstrom 800 owners out there?

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
My buddy in AZ just bought a new vstrom 800 for a light weight touring/moto camp bike. Claims the buffeting is awful and tried a Puig windshield but it failed miserably too. Anyone owned one and solved the wind noise issue? Apparently Madstad does not have a unit out yet for it, but their offerings usually work really well. He loves the bike and says this is his only issue with it and it even gets 50mpg.

Most adv bikes fail in the windscreen department. Stock satisfies approximately 5% of owners judging by the amount of people buying aftermarket. About all you can do is add some spacers to it to let some air get underneath it and get rid of the vaccuous pocket between the screen and rider. Different spacers can change the angle too if it isn't adjustable from the factory.

It's the vaccuous space there mixing with air trying to merge in that causes the buffetting. Shorty sreens are my bad. My Guzzi has a short screen and works fine for me. Any taller and that's when buffetting happens. My goose from 10 years ago was the absolute worst, in fact it was deafening. The pulsations in air pressure were bad enough to burst my eardrums. Spacers and a few drilled holes helped but it was best without the screen at all.

Also, something that takes up space, like a generous sized tank bag helps with laminar airflow.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the screen from the more roadish RE version would likely fit??? I think I've read where folks are pretty happy with it.

and it even gets 50mpg.
I've heard that from so many people about so many bikes but have never actually seen it in real life. Then again, you hear the same things about everyone's vehicle and how great their perceived gas mileage is. If someone is really concerned with gas mileage, they should get a Grom or Monkey.

I've heard that from so many people about so many bikes but have never actually seen it in real life. Then again, you hear the same things about everyone's vehicle and how great their perceived gas mileage is. If someone is really concerned with gas mileage, they should get a Grom or Monkey.
I think its just what in terms of Japanese product design strategy, they call a "delighter" which is something the customer loves, but was not expecting.

I've been able to get 50mpg out of my old DR and my current Africa Twin, but only under certain circumstances. Neither did it regularly. That's how I view a lot of the milage claims I see online. I figure it's the best they've ever gotten and their average is probably a bit less.

That said, I saw a Vstrom 800 in person on a dealer floor when I bought our Burgman. I was immediately struck that it's as big as my Africa Twin. Looked nice enough, but I wasn't going over it with a fine toothed comb.

full-gas-full-throttle.gif
If your getting 50mpg, your doing it all wrong.

50 mpg . this 207 RWHP / 113 tq could produce 53 mpg @ 73 mph hwy or 17 mpg hwy it just depended on what mood I was in .
Current BMW R1250RS saw 3.09 gallons for 155.5 miles this past weekend with a few wheelies and a sprint to 130 plus .

If you friend runs 1 tooth larger sprocket up front It will add a bit more mpg and range . The Busa ran 19/42 vs stock 18/42

On the wind buffet . Ask you friend to pull the mirrors for a short test ride . You might be surprised . Removing the mirrors from all my bikes has cleaned up the airflow greatly .

20201002_095311.jpg

RS with Full exhaust.jpg

Last edited:
Mirror relocation for cleaner air flow . Image of Busa above has custom 3D printer bar end mirrors .

Wifes Tiger 900 GT had OEM mirrors still because she likes them but the airflow on her tiger is not smooth . She is behind in mirror photo

20221030_165100.jpg

20230401_095305.jpg

RS in missouri 2.jpg

The only trouble with bar end mirrors is that they're the first thing smashed when you drop the bike.
CRG LS ( lane split ) fold in easily . Never broken one . Also when mounted inboard they are protected by the Bark Busters / hang guards as seen in my photos above . Photos of Big Bend on river rd with the smaller 3D printed bar end mirrors that did not break . Other is California Palomar mountain Nate Harrison Grade rd ( trail lol )

20211004_144120.jpg

2af4ebb327e0aafed32daf89a579ea39.jpg

The Givi Airflow wind screen works almost as well as the Madstad brackets. I ran with only the Airflow before adding the Madstad brackets only because I wanted more adjustability.

The Givi Airflow wind screen works almost as well as the Madstad brackets. I ran with only the Airflow before adding the Madstad brackets only because I wanted more adjustability.
I had one on my 2013 VSTROM 650 and it worked well.

Last edited:
Back