• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Attempted claiming of Deegans Yamaha

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Seems to be some heated debate over the way this DIDNT go down. Any info? I need to read into it but seems Yamaha strong armed the kid or at least that is the rumor.

Reminds me of a poker game
What a counter play for Yamaha to threaten to unplug his sponsor from any new bikes. Fair is fair. Why didn't the kid wait till after Sundays race to claim the bike?
I see 17k as chump change compared to what they had in it. Wonder what the bike weighed? isn't there a minimum, it was probably legal on weight.

Last edited:
To me it wreaks of cheating in an amateur class. That it was basically Yamaha sanctioned is a very bad look. We're not talking about pro-level where it's known that every team gets away with as much as it can as long as they don't get caught. This is independents scraping dollars together and hoping for a fair chance at a win.

The kid was articulate and seemed very level headed, especially given his age. Shoot, I'd have been bouncing off the walls had it been me at 17........or 30

To me it wreaks of cheating in an amateur class. That it was basically Yamaha sanctioned is a very bad look. We're not talking about pro-level where it's known that every team gets away with as much as it can as long as they don't get caught. This is independents scraping dollars together and hoping for a fair chance at a win.

The kid was articulate and seemed very level headed, especially given his age. Shoot, I'd have been bouncing off the walls had it been me at 17........or 30
It would have been hard to be controlled like he was. Couldn't he just bought his bike back after first race. The kid may not have raced it for that reason or put a stock motor in it then raced it.
I guess the rule doesn't encourage not cheating if no one can implement it.
Does that class race for any money or just trophies?

It would have been hard to be controlled like he was. Couldn't he just bought his bike back after first race. The kid may not have raced it for that reason or put a stock motor in it then raced it.
I guess the rule doesn't encourage not cheating if no one can implement it.
Does that class race for any money or just trophies?
At that level it is all about pride, and having the factory guys looking at you for that all coveted Factory ride when you turn pro. The Cash is all outgoing I have known of parents taking out second mortgages on homes to support their kids racing in hopes that a big factory contract will pay them all back with interest.

All racing is cheating when you can. That's what you are taught from the beginning- have an advantage. Just read F1 stories. Of course just don't get caught, but we're are all here to win, nothing else. Sorry I pushed you wide and into the wall bro.

I don't follow racing but I did see the interview. Good lesson for the kid / Bad lesson for the kid.

Lesson: Work Hard.... Play By The Rules... Get Screwed By Those With The Money.

Sorry in advance for mucking up the thread.

the kid followed the rules. Star Yamaha showed up with a factory bike. the rule is in place to keep the playing field equal machinery wise. if you show up with unobtainable factory parts and loose the bike to the claiming rule then that is on Star Yamaha. after the claim was withdrawn they pulled the motor and replaced it with a motor from Evan Ferrys bike. Degan had a schoolboy moto to compete in the next day, and raced with ferrys motor. just in case anyone else heard that you could take home a full on factory bike for the low low price of $17500.

What a counter play for Yamaha to threaten to unplug his sponsor from any new bikes. Fair is fair.

This looks like a flat out lie. Reminds me of soap opera politics on YouTube.

im sure i just got one side so i hate to sound biased. But sounds like everyone but the AMA officials bullied this kid into withdrawing the claim. the only people that should have spoken to the kid were the AMA officials. im taking the kids side on this 100%. every adult including his own trainer Matt Walker tried to ambush and get this kid alone to intimidate him by parading top brass from yamaha in. They have no dog in this fight. the rules are the rules.

Truly a crappy deal, and now I won't be able to appreciate the sport like I used to. I always thought that with all the woke, kneeling, BLM, etc. nonsense in other sports, that MX/SX was the last bastion of honor, but guess not. Sounds like the kid got crapped on, and now everyone is trying to just smooth it over and stop the boat from rocking.

Back