• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Blackstone Labs Oil test results of BMW Shell Vs Shell T6

Reaction score
Here are my 3 lab results of the 2023 R1250RS . The break in , and 1st are BMW 5w / 40 , and the 3rd is Shell T6 5w/40 The T6 was run the extra few miles by miss calculation on my part .
Also The T6 was run a little harder than the 2nd oil change. The T6 has a better viscosity rating at 27xx miles than the BMW Shell made oil . Slightly more ZINC ( ZDP ) in the T6 vs BMW
However the TBN ( life expected left in oil ) is slightly higher in the BMW oil vs the T6 . Both oils have a safe TBN to 5000 miles .

Today discussing this with a oil and gas friend he came up with the though BMW uses natural gas made oil for a lower carbon footprint . Food for thought .

Lab edit for internet 2.png

I have been using white jug Rotella , and T6 for 20 years . A friend and I just wanted lab verification with our new to us 1st BMW's . I know on the BMW based forums either your a purest using only BMW recommended products or a outcast and your BMW will explode lol

Interesting as I bought a '23 RT1250 six months ago and am thinking about 'car oil' vs the BMW labeled product.

I ran both Shell Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic and Mobil 1 15W50 in a Concours 1400 for over 11 years with great results.

I was under the impression that Castrol made the BMW 5W40 oil.

Also I saw Walmart carries Mobil 1 5W40 'European Car Formula' approved by BMW & Mercedes for their cars.

Does anybody have any experience with the Mobil 1 5W40 in late model BMW bikes?

Thanks

Interesting as I bought a '23 RT1250 six months ago and am thinking about 'car oil' vs the BMW labeled product.

I ran both Shell Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic and Mobil 1 15W50 in a Concours 1400 for over 11 years with great results.

I was under the impression that Castrol made the BMW 5W40 oil.

Also I saw Walmart carries Mobil 1 5W40 'European Car Formula' approved by BMW & Mercedes for their cars.

Does anybody have any experience with the Mobil 1 5W40 in late model BMW bikes?

Thanks
T6 5W 40 is motorcycle listed . BMW branded oil is Shell oil products according to MSDS data sheet

20240206_175707.jpg

20240206_175846.jpg

So, it looks to me like if you use a good quality oil and change at the manufacturers recommended frequency, everything is unicorns and rainbows. How much does the oil analysis cost? I am running my 1290 Super Duke Evo R to 9300 miles per the recommendation of the factory, I am at 8.4k and looking forward to dropping it and putting in new. I have been running the newer bikes to the recommended interval because they are full synthetic. YMMV. But it is all unicorns and rainbows up in here, y'all.

I usually change oil earlier than the factory recommendation. I typically use shift feel as an indicator. For my DRs that was usually between 1500 and 2000 miles, quite a bit less than the 3000 recommend. For the Africa Twin I'm thinking 6000 is gonna be about right. Recommended is 8000. Oil is cheap compared to engines and transmissions!

So, it looks to me like if you use a good quality oil and change at the manufacturers recommended frequency, everything is unicorns and rainbows. How much does the oil analysis cost? I am running my 1290 Super Duke Evo R to 9300 miles per the recommendation of the factory, I am at 8.4k and looking forward to dropping it and putting in new. I have been running the newer bikes to the recommended interval because they are full synthetic. YMMV. But it is all unicorns and rainbows up in here, y'all.
I have a KTM 1290 Super adventure S friend waiting on his 10 K results from black stone . He ran Amsoil .
Personally wouldn't run any oil past a 5000 mark . The cost to lab the oil is 35 bucks and add another 10 for additional TBN testing to determine life left in said sample oil . I did TBN on both of the last samples to see if the T6 was good to go 5K like the BMW Shell was . The T6 scored a tad higher in a few areas over the BMW shell version . Below is link to price . Standard + a TBN if you want it .

Should I drop my giant pile of UOAs from my Jeeps running T4 Rotella?

All the columns on the XJ should be 10w30 Rotella T at this point. I have some earlier reports from 2018 when I first got that Jeep that were a few different brands I was doing UOAs on to see what their ZDDP levels were still at. I think it was Mobil Delvac that was lowest. Around 800ppm zinc and Supetech and Shell had the highest around 1000-1200 ppm.

The Wrangler samples were 10w30 T4 first then 15w40. It's currently back on 10w30

BLACKSTONE CHEROKEE.png

BLACKSTONE WRANGLER.png

Back