• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brown stuff in Brake Fluid reservoir

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
I've helped a couple friends service bikes recently and am seeing a brown sediment in brake fluid reservoirs that I can clean out of the reservoir, but which has obviously made its way inside the lines somewhat by now as well. In one case black chunks coming out the other end as I pump and purge the system with fresh fluid. I'm not used to seeing bikes that have not been maintained sufficiently. Hopefully it is recoverable over a couple flushes. In one case it was so bad on a Vstrom 650 that I'm recommending changing out lines as well. Ya'll ever encounter this? Any of you seen this and experienced repercussions after fluid changing?

I've helped a couple friends service bikes recently and am seeing a brown sediment in brake fluid reservoirs that I can clean out of the reservoir, but which has obviously made its way inside the lines somewhat by now as well. In one case black chunks coming out the other end as I pump and purge the system with fresh fluid. I'm not used to seeing bikes that have not been maintained sufficiently. Hopefully it is recoverable over a couple flushes. In one case it was so bad on a Vstrom 650 that I'm recommending changing out lines as well. Ya'll ever encounter this? Any of you seen this and experienced repercussions after fluid changing?
brown I've seen and yes a few flushes took care of it.

Black chunks - are the lines rubber - if so, sounds like they have lived a full life and need to be replaced.

You gave best advise to change them. Good call

I think the lines are coming apart in the strom both internally and externally from bad fork seals coating them for several months at least. Exterior plastic protection is even crumbling. Ill help the fellow replace them.

The 2012-16 gen 2 DL650s have a well known issue with the abs unit.... but mostly only the rear brake is affected. There are many threads dealing with the problem on Stromtrooper forum. I think it centers around a smaller abs unit located too close to the rear cylinders exhaust. Earlier gen 1 abs bikes dont seem ta have the problem. Larger abs unit in slightly different location.

I have noticed the import rubber brake lines do deteriorate in a rather short time , used to be live time rubber on older american made but with everything coming from chine these days its a crap shoot . Worked on a vw once , the lines were so bad they were swelled up inside and it would only brake when you really stomped the pedal then would take 20 seconds to release . Kinda scary to drive . Braided stainless is worth the money , they are lifetime unless abused .

Back