• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carb & fuel tank cleanup

Scorch

Reaction score
Well, now that garage is finished and my Torino is out getting an upgrade, I plunged forward to tackle my Madura carb cleanup. It's the one I got last summer, from a gentleman in Cali. It's in fantastic shape but it sat a long time and has the typical plugged jets, won't run without choke.

I have run a tank or two of gas through it, but when I pulled the tank this afternoon, the gas was super rusty colored and a lot of fine particle came out. So I guess I will have to treat it with some rust dissolver (Evaporust, Blaster Metal, Rescue, Vinegar, etc) and clean it thoroughly.

Got the carbs out and man, they look complicated. I'm seriously intimidated. When I pulled a pair apart, a spring and spacer just appeared from nowhere.:headbang: I think I know where the spring goes but the small spacer... hope I can do with out it.

IMG_20240220_124720406.jpg

IMG_20240220_124724964.jpg

IMG_20240221_170853998.jpg

Sprite 19.jpg

I can't recommend a good ultrasonic enough. It is a big help with cleaning carbs.

That does look complicated and that probably why I will always ride a single piston bike with a single carb. It just about all I can handle. Good luck.

Are you coating the tank?

I, like many, used to roll my eyes at the ultrasonic cleaners. Now I am passionate about mine, lol.

Are you coating the tank?
Wanting to seal an aftermarket plastic gas tank I came across Caswellplating dot com that claims to be the fix when other coatings fail. My intent is to add accent paint and stickers to the gas tank and this is my solution. Maybe Scorch can use this after he removes the rust.

If it is a plastic gas tank I would think any leak would be solved with a soldering iron or some other kind of plastic melt and join process? You just want to make sure and clean it and rinse well with water and detergent before doing so. I just don't think those liners are going to adhere well to plastic. Usually when prepping a gas tank it uses an acid mix to strip it and prep the surface for adhesion and a better bond to the metal. I'm just not sure it will work with plastic is all, but maybe caswell and other companies have a plastic version?

Back