• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain wear

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
"I’d like to think this was a horsepower curve but it is the decline of chain life graph."

Jimmy Lewis from Dirt Bike tests. 250 hours on oring chain vs new.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1668702385144.jpg
    FB_IMG_1668702385144.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 82
250 hours is crazy to me for a dirt bike chain. I got 100 hours (and was thrilled with that) out of my stock 2019 Husky chain, and I think KTM chains are the best spec'd OEM chains out there by far.

I don't even get 250 hours out of an entire race bike, much less a chain.

Stuart Hamer both o ring, used one was on. LTM 500 for 250 hours.

Probably, then 250 hours on a 500 is a lot as you said. Hey, I don't make the news just report it. Lol. Either way the side play comparison is good.

Took a good look at the chain on my 450 Beta yesterday , I’m seeing a little sprocket wear and the chain pull is noticeable at the back of the sprocket but no daylight yet . I don’t think it has over 6,000 miles on it , no idea of hours . No hour meter and the first odo died and had to be replaced . chain is original and it’s 10 years old . I had a 87 KTM that didn’t impress me at all , the rear brakes were toast after a 4 hour ride . And I don’t use brakes that much . You cant get anywhere with your foot on the brakes .

Looked at my notes yesterday , right at 6,000 miles on that bike now . I don’t think the original odo quit working , all the mounting points broke out of the plastic . If it did fail it wasn’t for more than a couple hundred miles . Only failure has been a pickup coil . And the raceteck fork crap that some po screwed up the front forks with and they are not where they should be yet but that will be addressed this winter .

Back