• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado between the Snows - 2020

Yeeha! Stephen

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
TWT member Jerry James (lobo 10s) sent me a note that he had some vacation days to burn and suggested a run to the Dragon/Cherohala. I'm still a little spooked by the Virus crowds so I suggested Colorado camping. On our own, no crowds no restaurants.

We snagged some tent sites with electricity at the Gunnison KOA and did out rides from that home base. Yeah, we did the Black Canyon. Rode up to Hotchkiss, Panoia and Redstone. Grabbed a deli sandwich and ate out along the river.

Severe drought in Colo and the Paonia Reservoir along 133 is dry. The lake South of Crawford on 92 is the size of a good Texas stock pond. Blue Mesa outside Gunnison on Hwy 50 is down to about half strength.

Another highlight, we rode CO114 down to Del Norte (not the one in Godley TX), over to South Fork, Creede, Lake City for a short lunch in Lake City. Only one spot open in LC, and they were just about out of everything. We should've ate in Creede.

All breakfasts and dinners were at camp in Gunny. We had "Hot Mess" every morning. You've seen it on those Dinners/Dives shows on TV. The diner cook takes bacon, sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, onion, peppers, etc... all chopped up into one pile and scooped up with grilled tortillas as your spoon. Yum! Burgers, dogs and stuff like that were for dinner every night.

Jerry brought his Jeep and one morning that was particularly frosty, we hit Mickey D's and had our hot gourmet 274144

breakfast on the trails above Crested Butte. Spent the whole day up there.
Daytime temps = mid 70's and the chilly nights were in the low to mid 30's. Did I mention we had electricity? I brought my electric blanket with me. We were roughing it after all.

We snuck out and didn't tell our riding buddies we were going. Such bad boys. But we can tell them now it was a perfect week long trip to Texas' largest state park!

SS

Attachments

• 2020 CO 2.jpg
    2020 CO 2.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 2020 CO 3.jpg
    2020 CO 3.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 2020 CO 18.jpg
    2020 CO 18.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 2020 CO 4.jpg
    2020 CO 4.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 2020 CO 5.jpg
    2020 CO 5.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 2020 CO 8.jpg
    2020 CO 8.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 2020 CO 13.jpg
    2020 CO 13.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 2020 CO 14.jpg
    2020 CO 14.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 2020 CO 15.jpg
    2020 CO 15.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 2020 CO 20.jpg
    2020 CO 20.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 2020 CO 21.jpg
    2020 CO 21.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 2020 CO 11.jpg
    2020 CO 11.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 2020 CO 12.jpg
    2020 CO 12.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Ah, some of my favorite roads. You must have been up here a couple of weeks ago, judging by the residual snow on the ground. It snowed, I think, the day after Labor Day and by the following weekend, temps were pushing 80 and I wasn't seeing but a few traces in the ditches, even riding at 9,000 feet.

How far did you go beyond Crested Butte? I've been up Gothic Road many times (albeit not in several years), but not too far past Emerald Lake, it starts turning to poo.

In the Jeep we did the Slate River/Lake loop and over Kebler Pass.

Roads were clear. Lot of snow in the alleys and some side streets where the plows were dumping off. Some town parking lots had piles of dump snow.

One day it felt like the 80's but actual was 77 degrees. 65 - 70ish the other days. The nights were all low to mid 30's.

Funny thing. I'd be all nice and comfy in my tent with my blanket and then I'd roll over to a new position and the other 1/2 of my pillow was freezing! Immediately wide awake till I got my bedding rearranged!

The last few times I have been up there Kebler Pass was having lots of work done and they were telling people to expect delays of up to 4 hours!! :eek2: Have they finally finished that? I've still not managed to to that pass.

There were some sign of recent construction but no delays when we were there 2 weeks ago. Either that or we were having so much fun we didn't notice.

I did get stuck in the 1 hour +/- single lane delay for Chip Sealing on Hwy 50 East of Gunnison. People were out of their cars... kids playing off the side of the road.... etc...

Panioa Res is Snow feed. It is always dry by Fall. I lived in CO for 38 yrs and always had a Street motorcycle. I consider Hwy 92, 133, 550, 149, 67 the best paved roads in CO. Mable, CO is a neat spot with lots of history.
I'm surprised how few Riders make it up Hwy 103 to Hwy 5-the highest road in North America to the top of Mt Evans. When I moved to CO in 1979 it was the highest in the World. That Road used to have Tour Buses on it. Today, it is crumbling away.
Any Day above 8,000 feet is special. Thanks for the photos.

Attachments

• 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 179
'm surprised how few Riders make it up Hwy 103 to Hwy 5-the highest road in North America to the top of Mt Evans. When I moved to CO in 1979 it was the highest in the World. That Road used to have Tour Buses on it. Today, it is crumbling away.

I did it back in 2004. We got lucky. It was mid June. At the top, it was clear, cold, and super windy, but the view was epic! It was the only time I've really been affected by the thin air. When we first got there and I walked across the parking lot to the observation area, I started seeing those little white spots darting to and fro in my vision. I just stood still for a while taking in the view, focusing on relaxed deep breathing, and they went away in a few minutes. I was fine after that. Then I spotted this dude in a tank top and running shorts jumping from rock to rock up the side of the mountain between the switchbacks in the road. He looked like he was 80, but he was moving like a mountain goat!! Interestingly, my 2001 VFR 800 did not like the thin air. Even though it was fuel injected, it did not want to idle. I had to keep the RPMs slightly above idle or it would stall. I later found out that the FI mapping stopped around 12K feet. So I guess it just it just got to rich to run at low speeds. It was fine once I was moving at higher RPMs. Upon leaving, we made the run East on 103, a great ride!

Not sure, but I think Mt Evans Rd, which is actually Rt 5, is closed this year.

We had a fantastic time. We attended the MSTA Rally in Bull Shoals the weekend before, I headed to Colorado. I am working on the Colorado Ride Report and Video as we speak. Thanks Yeeha for joining me on such short notice. Here is a sneak Peak at a few of my photos.

IMG_20200914_172504-L.jpg

IMG_20200918_074522~2-L.jpg

IMG_20200914_083422~2-L.jpg

IMG_20200917_122533~2-L.jpg

I had a Ridgeline just like the one in your pictures. Loved that little truck but it just didn't have enough towing capacity for our travel trailer.

Two questions.

1. Do you love the Ridgeline as much as everyone else who owns one?
2. Those temps and you needed a box fan?

New to the Ridgeline but I like it so far. The cruise control searches a little too much for my taste but I'll get used to it.

Used to have a Nissan Titan and used it like a car so I thought I'd a more car-like rig this time.

Had a loaner F150 for a while and really liked the room inside that beast. The Honda is a lot tighter.

I use the fan to stir the air and for white noise. With a house full of teen girls that liked different kinds of music it was a battle of the bands every night. Put a box fan by my head to drown out the noise and just got used to sleeping that way.

Hey Yeeha, what is the shelve thingie in the last pic in the first post?

Back