• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dakar rider dies 8 days after crash

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Saw this on a newsfeed.
Dutch motorcyclist Edwin Straver has died after a crash at the Dakar Rally.
"Straver, 48, crashed 124 kilometres into stage 11 on 16 January and suffered a cardiac arrest before being to airlifted to hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia."

Bummer...

Just goes to show that even with all the gear and precautions, bad stuff can still happen. Life is unpredictable. Still, it's better to do what you can about the risks and then get on with being alive because life is risky!

Man that is sad. 48 to me seems up there to be racing Dakar. Gravity can be our friend or our worse enemy. RIP

Last time I checked, the death rate is still 100%. NOBODY gets out alive. I'm 65 and no matter how long I live, I'll NEVER get to experience a ride in the DAKAR Rally.......

What's up with both of these deaths being associated with Cardiac Arrest. Do you think that they were dehydrated in the Arabian Desert

What's up with both of these deaths being associated with Cardiac Arrest. Do you think that they were dehydrated in the Arabian Desert

That's the diagnosis to give when you dont want to discuss trauma. At some point a severe injury will end in "cardiac arrest" (heart stops)

That's the diagnosis to give when you dont want to discuss trauma. At some point a severe injury will end in "cardiac arrest" (heart stops)
Exactly.
GodSpeed Edwin Straver as well as Paulo Gonçalves. You lived life as you wanted and is a dream to many of us. See both of you one day on 2 wheels.

Back