• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

details on change of inspection requirements...

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Who's aware of the details around the changes coming next year - particularly for bikes? I see cars in the big-city counties will still need inspections for emissions - but bikes never did that, so will bikes totally be exempt from inspection requirements? I guess given the option, it would be best to register cars NOT in one of the 13 annoying counties?

Bike will just need to be registered. Nothing else.

To register you have to have a physical address, so if you own property in a non-emissions county you could get away with it.

Bike will just need to be registered. Nothing else.

To register you have to have a physical address, so if you own property in a non-emissions county you could get away with it.

So, I found out about 2 years ago while trying to get an inspection that this is not the case. I mean you can get away with it for sure but apparently there is an obscure rule that even the people at the state office didn't know about till they researched it for about an hour. It basically says if you operate your vehicle for more than 60 days a year in an emissions county that you have to get your vehicle inspected in an emissions county.

The reason I found this out is that a local chain lube shop refused to look at my ex-wife's van because they saw my Fire Department sticker on the windshield for Garland. Even after I explained that it's my wife's van not mine, and she doesn't work in Garland they still refused to inspect it. That's when I called the state registration people because I had never heard of this rule. They called me back an hour later after digging around in whatever they looked at and said yeah it's a rule but apparently rarely enforced. Their suggestion was to go down the street to another shop :lol2:

We're in an emissions county but my old diesel doesn't get emissions testing either. I've been wondering how that was going to work too.

I had forgotten about this.
Since I'm in Harris County, the impact is less for my household which may be why I wasn't tracking this.

From the linked article:
Representatives with the Sheriffs’ Association of Texas, the Dallas Police Association, the Houston Police Officers’ Union, the Texas State Inspection Association, Toyota Motor North America and more spoke against the bill.
There's a surprise. Follow the money.
Big city LEO is against it as it removes another of their reasons to stop cars, write citations and go fishing.

So, I found out about 2 years ago while trying to get an inspection that this is not the case. I mean you can get away with it for sure but apparently there is an obscure rule that even the people at the state office didn't know about till they researched it for about an hour. It basically says if you operate your vehicle for more than 60 days a year in an emissions county that you have to get your vehicle inspected in an emissions county.

The reason I found this out is that a local chain lube shop refused to look at my ex-wife's van because they saw my Fire Department sticker on the windshield for Garland. Even after I explained that it's my wife's van not mine, and she doesn't work in Garland they still refused to inspect it. That's when I called the state registration people because I had never heard of this rule. They called me back an hour later after digging around in whatever they looked at and said yeah it's a rule but apparently rarely enforced. Their suggestion was to go down the street to another shop :lol2:
Yeah, that is why I said you could get away with it, but not always.
It is designed to prevent you from bypassing the emissions testing.
Similar for your insurance, it should be in the county you reside in.
My mom lived in Navasota for a while and I could have used her address for my registration and insurance, but then how do I explain to my insurance why I have my home policy in Katy, but 5 vehicles registered and insured in Navasota

Big city LEO is against it as it removes another of their reasons to stop cars, write citations and go fishing.
Well, if inspections don't catch/prevent broken lights, etc, then there's just another set of things to pull folks over for...

Anyway, thanks all, I think I got the answers I was looking for...

Reactions: JMZ
Well that's true, might open more doors for them. Of course I don't want unsafe vehicles out there. So go get them.

Well that's true, might open more doors for them. Of course I don't want unsafe vehicles out there. So go get them.
Just look around when you drive. There are tons of unsafe vehicles, so many bald tires at traffic accidents in the rain that I work. All the state inspection does is say "yeah they're good right here right now" but as soon as they drive away they can be as unsafe as they want to be. The program is worthless other than to collect another fee/tax. The police have the ability to pull over and cite for things that you get checked for on an annual inspection, but they never do because it's not a moneymaker like speeding fines are.

I had forgotten about this.
Since I'm in Harris County, the impact is less for my household which may be why I wasn't tracking this.

From the linked article:

There's a surprise. Follow the money.
Wrong in so many ways , just look at the junk on the road now and with no safety inspection that is going to be almost any car you see thats over 24 years old because it gets no inspection . My trucks and vehicles are right and anything i work on is going to be right when it leaves my shop , that is because if somebody doesnt want their stuff done right it doesn't ever come in my shop . Big trucks have some really strict safety inspections to adhere to and still almost every dump truck you see on the road is a rolling pile of crap . I cant count the number of times i made service calls on a big truck that was shut down on the spot by a roadside safety inspection it had to be towed or repaired before it could be moved . And these were people that take care of their equipment . I would love to see that applied to every vehicle on the road . Exactly the reason when i drive in the city im driving one of my old trucks with big iron bumpers on both ends . Bad enough that people cant drive for crap to start with , when its legal to drive with no brakes , lights or bald tires its going to be fun out there .

As I recall, they changed the fee at the inspection station a while back and raised the cost on registration to compensate. Does this mean my registration will come down as a result? I doubt it.

When i inspected half the fee went to the state for the sticker the other went to the station , that half didnt go sway when the sticker went away so i doubt anything will change when the inspection goes away unless the state adds all the fee to your tags

Inspection and emission testing are two different things. In Harris county today, my cars are inspected & tested for emissions, and my bikes are only inspected. Once the new law takes effect, the cars will still need to go on for emissions testing, but the bikes won’t need to go in at all. Just buy the sticker. Cars over 25 years old in an emission county are exempt from testing and would follow the same procedure as a motorcycle.

Don't forget, if your car/motorcycle is 25+ years old, you have the option to register as an antique. That has always made it inspection exempt. The registration costs the same, but it lasts for 5 years, so it is a pretty good deal if your vehicle is old enough to get it. There are limitations on where you are supposed to drive, but they are so vague that I've never even been questioned about where I was going in the 20+ years I have been driving an antique car. The "any event of public interest" exception is probably the vaguest one. My old Camaro IS an event of public interest every where it goes. ; )

When getting my diesel truck inspected ~last week (Harris county) , the shop owner told me it will only be registration for the truck next year.
When I asked about my wife's gas truck he said emissions via OBDII port. (made a remark that it could have 4 bald tires, no headlights and tinted front window and as long as the OBDII doesn't flag it will pass).
No news there.
What he didn't know is "how much they are going to let him charge" for the emissions testing portion.

He said he had been getting $7 per vehicle, not sure what they will allow him to charge now with the new plan about to go in effect.

Back