• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ear Plug Advice

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
W
Morning Gang,

This has been a frustrating deal. I have been going round and round with ear protection and my communicator and I think I finally found what I need.

I'm looking for earmolds that have a pair of earbuds molded in. I feel like I remember Joe Fink having a pair that connected to the 3.5mm jack on his communicator. For the life of me, I cannot find an ENT or Audiologist that knows what I am talking about. They keep telling me that they can do the impressions and send them off, but I have to send in my communicator or earbuds to make sure it works. That makes no sense to me, as I want speakers molded in.

Picture for reference:
1614187841184.png

Coming from a shooting background, I have seen guys make earmolds at big matches and they always offer to put earbud drivers in them.

I found a place that can do them online, but I'd much rather do this in person so I don't mess up the mold.

Thanks,
David

Check out www.plugup.com

I have used "the S plug" with my Sena for years. It is not custom, but easy to insert/remove, comfortable, and plenty of noise reduction. Also is doesn't interfere with tight helmet ear pads. Sound quality if more than satisfactory for my listening pleasure.

How hard was the molding process? How do they sound?
Molding was easy (had my wife help). They give you 3 mold containers, 2 for the earphones, 1 to practice with.
I am no audiophile, so they sound OK to me and block quite a bit of wind noise.
I have worn them for just under 5 hours straight once and they felt fine. For an hour or 2, I don't even notice them once I put the helmet on.

I have worn the "S" everyday on weeks-long trip and never found them uncomfortable. I didn't have the best experience dealing with molded earplugs - creating and putting them in my ears. If I'm not listening to music I use foam or Ear Peace plugs.

https://www.bigearinc.com/

I got one of these molded during an event in CycleGear @ Austin, I've seen him around a couple of times. I wasn't a big fan, but some poeple like 'em. Nothing will ever muffle the sound as much as a $1 set of foam, which I prefer.

I ordered a pair of plugfones, we'll see how they do. Nothing beats foamies for noise reduction, but I can't hear anything around me with em.

The S plugs work and sound great. However, they are $100 and they are fragile. I would send a pair back for repairs every 4 months.

I finally had enough about 200k miles ago and have been using these since:

0aa173f0558d99ef3ee624a54b763f19.jpg

A pair will last me about 50k mikes, the sound is very good also.

These might be an easier fit, I tried for several thousand miles. Comfortable but the sound is not good.

a82d72f66f9f9c536bacc6be3d914f38.jpg

Made my own. Ordered Radians putty from Amazon and got the buds I wanted to use. Follows putty instructions and, after putty was in ear and was beginning to set, had my wife insert bud into putty at what appeared to be the right angle. After they set, used Xacto knife to trim away enough material that the sound could come out.

Very ugly but they work well. Soft, molded to fit my ears, comfortable in helmet, cancels most road noise, and cheap.

I know it's not a combo plug/bud option, but I do well with a pair of Eargasm musicians earplugs and the stock speakers of my Sena 20S. Doesn't make me deaf, but does substantially reduce wind and road noise while still letting me hear my headset.

https://www.bigearinc.com/

I got one of these molded during an event in CycleGear @ Austin, I've seen him around a couple of times. I wasn't a big fan, but some poeple like 'em. Nothing will ever muffle the sound as much as a $1 set of foam, which I prefer.
I’ve a set of the single driver custom Bigear plugs/phones. Plenty comfortable. Best sound reduction of any of the plugs I have.

Issues: $349 price tag
Taking a minimum of 20 working days to get your phones.
The plugs work so well I have difficulty hearing conversations wit background noise with my hearing impairments. Vs filtered plugs that will reduce the road noise and let you hear conversations.
You can either DIY the ear mold from a kit they send or go to one of their providers to do the molding.

Also did a DIY set with Radians custom molded plug set and Mee M6 phones. Took 2 tries to get the molds right. Total cost $37. The Mee M6 works well with just their cushions as well

I use Fit-Ear and love them. I prefer corded but my wife likes her Bluetooth.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back