• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Educate me on GS ABS...

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
When did the ABS systems on R1150GS or R1200GS bikes become useful? I've heard the 1150 ABS was fairly useless - any opinions on that? Is there a specific generation of GS on which the ABS turned from a liability (service risk or just poor performance) to an asset - something that actually made you safer?

I'm trying to convince my brother to buy his next motorcycle. ABS is on the 'desirable' list - but so is "old and simple"... Actually useful ABS seems to negate "old and simple'. I think we can restrict the conversation to pavement - useful off-road ABS either does not exist or is cutting-edge stuff IMO...

Thoughts?

I’ve had two GSs with the servo ABS, an 05 and an 06. Once I got used to them which didn’t take very long, I loved them. I liked the easy pull on the front without need for pedal push on the rear, the system applied the rear brake for you. You could override that feature by applying the rear brake first, disabling the linked feature until next cycle. The ABS could also be disabled via handlebar control. As for working, the few panic stops I’ve made, the systems preformed very well.

The drawback is that the system is complicated to maintain and when it has problems, expensive to repair. The 05 had a temp sensor go out on it at about 100K miles and to repair it was going to be around $2K. Ended up converting it to conventional brakes.

All ABS is very good in the road especially since 2002. The system after servos works really well on dirt as well. Both my 14 F800GSA and 19 F850GSA have come to complete uneventful stops going down hill. Now for the game changer: ABS Pro. ABS used to only work straight, but ABS Pro used a 3 axis IMU and now works in corners. Was option on 1200 wethead and think it went standard on 1250’s. Main reason for turning off abs off road is to steer with rear wheel which enduro pro allows that. Euro V took away ability to turn off ABS.

As I remember, 07 for the 1200GS was the start of the non-servo. Easy to maintain as they are bled just like a non-ABS setup. Just make sure to bleed once a year to keep fresh fluid in them and life is good.

All ABS is very good in the road especially since 2002.

Wow, that's early days of ABS... Interesting for such a positive review..

As I remember, 07 for the 1200GS was the start of the non-servo.

My vague memory from reading reviews and word on the street was that 2010 was the second gen of non-servo, and perhaps that was the start of actually useful BWM ABS? But, y'all reporting on '02 and '07 is interesting - thanks!

2003 - 2006 GS (1150/1200) had servo type ABS. They work well as long as you keep the fluid flushed once a year. If the system fail, just remove it from the bike. The servo whines kind of loud, but you will learn to live with it. Mine was 2004 1150GS.

The beauty of GSs with the servo ABS is having the deal spark head. Even if a stick coil fails, you can still ride it.

I had ABS on a 1998, and 1999 K1200RS and they were amazingly capable. Just don't try to brake in gravel. The only system I had issues with was the servo style circa 2004. The brakes worked again, perfect. Changing fluid was more complicated and the first time I did it I screwed it up, not knowing it was any different than every other fluid system I've changed either before or after. I had servo ABS on a 2003 Phoenix, and a 2004 R1150R. I love servo ABS. The only negative is fluid changing.

And remember that BMW had ABS without servos really early, like back on the K1's. It was just that one period they had servos. Folks now rebuild the ABS pump reasonably inexpensively, should it fail due to lazy owners who don't maintain their bikes, and should probably stick to Toyotas. There are still many early 2000 vintage servo systems with over 100K on them , running just fine.

In fact I think the K1 might have been the first ABS equipped motorcycle sold. Servos were only used 02-06 except K1200LT. It had them it’s whole run.

And remember that BMW had ABS without servos really early, like back on the K1's. It was just that one period they had servos. Folks now rebuild the ABS pump reasonably inexpensively, should it fail due to lazy owners who don't maintain their bikes, and should probably stick to Toyotas. There are still many early 2000 vintage servo systems with over 100K on them , running just fine.
Module Master rebuilds are not available for 03 - 06 (1150/1200).

Reactions: Tom
Back