• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Falling for the Ozarks

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
And so it begins…

Roger’s 2022 KTM 690 Enduro and my 2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9862.jpeg

Keith’s 2022 BMW K1600B
IMG_9863.jpeg

Our humble abode in Eureka Springs
IMG_9864.jpeg

Nice rooms less than $100/night!
IMG_9865.jpeg

Keith “Leeroy” Jordan
IMG_9866.jpeg

Roger “Rsquared” Roger’s and me
IMG_9867.jpeg

It’s gonna be a cold morning but a beautiful day tomorrow!

Have fun up there. Looks like you are going to have some cool but sunny days.
Kinda more of what I was expecting, but the cold had not quite come yet when I was there.

I have to agree, it is very pretty up there.
To the point I looked at if it was worth looking into moving there (it is not IMO).
Maybe when I retire, but having a sales tax and state income tax sucks.
Housing is less, and overall cost of living is less.

You are a little further north than I was. Guess you are going to ride some up into Missouri also?

Yes, one day up North, one out East and back, then one kind of South and East and back. All of it North of I-40.

Awesome day! Cold this morning but it eventually warmed up nicely. Ran 343 miles of incredible pavement and dirt in SW Missouri and NW Arkansas!

IMG_9869.jpeg

IMG_9870.jpeg

IMG_9872.jpeg

IMG_9873.jpeg

IMG_9876.jpeg

IMG_9877.jpeg

IMG_9878.jpeg

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9884.jpeg

IMG_9885.jpeg

IMG_9886.jpeg

IMG_9887.jpeg

IMG_9888.jpeg

IMG_9889.jpeg

Yes, this is a road. Unfortunately it eventually dead ended at a gate.
IMG_9890.jpeg

IMG_9891.jpeg

REALLY good food outside Cassville, MO., on the West side of town.
IMG_9892.jpeg

IMG_9893.jpeg

IMG_9894.jpeg

IMG_9895.jpeg

IMG_9896.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg

Recognize this view?
IMG_9898.jpeg

IMG_9899.jpeg

IMG_9900.jpeg

IMG_9901.jpeg

IMG_9902.jpeg

IMG_9903.jpeg

IMG_9904.jpeg

Just me and Roger today, 355 miles. Today was supposed to be shorter than yesterday so we could get back before dark. We got back after sunset… there were deer everywhere! Saw a bald eagle today. Dodged a LOT of buzzards! Did a bit more dirt and harder dirt than we had planned. My knees are hurting… Good times! :rider:

IMG_9907.jpeg

IMG_9908.jpeg

IMG_9909.jpeg

IMG_9910.jpeg

IMG_9911.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg

IMG_9913.jpeg

IMG_9914.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

IMG_9916.jpeg

Awesome food in Marshall, AR.
IMG_9917.jpeg

IMG_9918.jpeg

IMG_9919.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg

New steps at Falling River Falls
IMG_9921.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9923.jpeg

IMG_9924.jpeg

IMG_9925.jpeg

IMG_9926.jpeg

IMG_9928.jpeg

IMG_9929.jpeg

IMG_9930.jpeg

IMG_9931.jpeg

IMG_9932.jpeg

The bridge on AR 123
IMG_9933.jpeg

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9936.jpeg

Real easy crossing
IMG_9937.jpeg

IMG_9938.jpeg

IMG_9939.jpeg

IMG_9940.jpeg

IMG_9941.jpeg

IMG_9943.jpeg

This one was easy
IMG_9945.jpeg

IMG_9947.jpeg

We walked the bikes across this one
IMG_9948.jpeg

See my bike?
IMG_9949.jpeg

IMG_9951.jpeg

LOTS of mud after this!! No pics because I was trying to survive.
IMG_9952.jpeg

IMG_9953.jpeg

IMG_9954.jpeg

Thanks for bring back very good memories from when I had my place in Blue Eye

I lived in Osage Beach/Bagnell Dam MO one summer in the 70's. Still have kin there. Love the area, thanks for the memory triggers. :thumb:

Yes, one day up North, one out East and back, then one kind of South and East and back. All of it North of I-40.
Eureka Springs is perfect for exploring all directions. Been going to ES since my teens, would move there in one moment if I got the ok. Thanks for all the pics. :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
We got back before dark!! Rolled into the parking lot at 5:00pm. Only 250 miles. I told Roger we’d stick to pavement today… That last maybe 30 minutes after we left the hotel :lol2: However, in my defense, they were awesome dirt roads!! We ran a lot of AR 16, 123, most of 74, and some of 21 and 23. We stopped in at Donny Stuart’s Buffalo Ranch to say hello, but he was out on business. Looks like the ranch is doing well! The weather is PERFECT right now!! You need to be here riding :rider: it is supposed to be really nice all next week. Some trees are changing, but not a lot. LOTS of leaves are falling though!

IMG_9955.jpeg

IMG_9957.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

IMG_9960.jpeg

IMG_9965.jpeg

IMG_9966.jpeg

IMG_9967.jpeg

IMG_9968.jpeg

IMG_9969.jpeg

New front office at the Buffalo Wilderness Ranch
IMG_9971.jpeg

IMG_9972.jpeg

IMG_9973.jpeg

Had many memorable rides in up there the end of Oct, early Nov. We’ll be headed there couple weeks from now to do some leaf peeping with my lady in the motor home towing the Jeep. Want to show her some of the sights I enjoyed all those years probing AR/MO on my GS. :rider:

Well, we tried to stay another day, but the hotel was booked for Friday night and we didn't feel like loading up just to move to a different hotel, so we came on home. It was three days of fantastic riding. The weather was perfect. The trees were not great. Some were changing colors, but a lot were just brown or dropping their leaves. It might be better in the next few weeks. It was great getting to see and ride with Keith for a bit. The last time I was up there was over five years ago and I'd kind of forgotten how much fun the roads were there, paved and unpaved. I was really envious of Roger's 690 when we got in the really rough stuff, but I was able to get it done on the GS. We didn't see many other bikes while out riding. We met one GSA rider from Florida that was stopped on AR 7 just South of Deer. It was his first time in the area. I totally forgot to get his name and a pic :doh: He was having fun!

The cafe in Mt. Judea was closed, but I am not sure if it was just for the day or permanently. The Deer Cafe on AR 16 in Deer looked to be permanently closed. The Daisy Queen in Marshall was good as always. The Horseshoe Grill in Eureka Springs on US 62 East was very good and the prices were amazingly low! The Rouge Manor in the historic part of town was good but a bit over priced and they no longer have a grilled trout dinner, which was always my favorite. They do still serve fresh baked bread in coffee mugs. We were seated in the glass atrium area and they also seated a very large party in there as well, so it got crazy loud and was practically impossible to talk. Also, the chairs at the tables are more like lounge chairs for a smoking room than dining chairs, so trying to sit up at the table to eat was a challenge! They were nice though when we were done and reclined to wait for the check :-P The Cross Cafe on MO 76 between Exeter and Cassville was very good and also very reasonably priced! The Ozark Cafe in Jasper was good as always and also very reasonably priced.

According to my GPS tracks, we did 338, 348, and then 250 miles for three days of riding. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires on my GS had about 8400 miles on them at the start of this trip. They did remarkably well, but it was mostly dry when we got off the pavement with one notable exception, and they did fairly well even in the mud we encountered along the Little Piney Creek on FS-1405 between AR 123 and AR 21. I did about 140 miles Saturday which included some off road track riding that involved some sand and then did another 190 miles on them today while riding with Sarah on local county and forest service roads. The tires are starting to get near the end of their life, but not quite yet. If you are looking for a good distance touring adventure tires, I'd have to say these are definitely worth using. They were not crazy expensive, perform relatively well, and last longer than any tires I have ever used on any of my various adventure bikes over the last 20 years.

Thanks for the excellent trip report Scott.
Been a couple years since my last Arkansas trip and the beautiful weather and twisty roads you pictured has given me the itch to get back up there ASAP!

Back