• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Go Tubeless Easy

Reaction score
I decided to convert my rear tire 2018 ATAS to tubeless

It's straight forward and not to much work take tire off and clean everything real real real good.
Final clean with acetone.
Than use marine grade 3m 5200 to seal spokes. if you like to be super sure use also 3m extreme sealing tape on top of that.
After that to avoid drilling your rim use a different valve that fits the tube hole rim hole. Use NAPA part Part #: NTH 90426

Sorry did not take pics with tape installed.

Ensure to check spokes before sealing the only downside is if you need to adjust a spoke the risk of leaking is possible so might need to reseal this particular spoke than.

I should have done this long ago ......

IMG_20230406_202144.jpg

Nice job. I’m thinking doing the same for my Tenere 700.

It was real easy did think about it way to long get a couple of small stainless steel brushes to clean up the spoke areas makes the job super easy

Interesting topic. Thanks for the valve stem part number! I am considering making my rims tubeless too on my xr650r.

Cool, but how do you adjust your spokes without breaking that seal?

I used a double sided shrink tape on mine , did extremely well . then i put aluminum wheels on it and did away with the spokes , even better .

Don’t seal your wheel unless there is a safety bead. Could be quite the YouTube Fail video if you you have tire failure without the safety bead.

safty beads didnt come along till tubless tires did , most of use survived rideing with tube tires . running low air pressure with out a safety bead can get exciting when you do dumb stuff .

All I can say is it's crazy difficult to break the beat on my wheels zero concern about it the rear actually has a humb almost like safety bead as you can see in the pic

I know several people who tried going tubeless on the front of their Africa Twins. FAIL. Rear worked just fine.

Front is difficult I agree mine holds air for about 1 week but I also have pump on the bike so no big deal otherwise no issues.

I won't poo-poo anyone's effort to try out anything on their own bike that only involves their satisfaction "and" safety. However, I think that setup might get very exciting if you lost air pressure quickly. From the looks of that rim, I take it that it's too wide for the Nuetech Tubliss system. Are there no other options for wide rims like that? Even aside from the issue of somewhat losing the option of adjusting spokes, that's not something I'd feel confident in trying. I've been using the Tubliss system since 2009 with zero issues...and that's with years of trips out west and many, many miles. For you riders with really wide rims like this, are there any better options than just gooping up the spoke valley?

But I have to say that I try to ride tires that have a stiff side wall. Also the front tire it's a extremely stiff trails tire you can basically ride it with extremely low air and it's hard to mount. When I try to break the beat on this it's a real pain. So a classical blow out with parts of the tire go flying I have no experience with and don't know anyone who has. The Tubliss system might help but also more hassle to mount and dismount no ? You can also easy remove the rtv from the rim I did it before takes maybe an extra hour of work. It's cheap and not perfect of course. I still think to get me a second set of rims from Alpina to have street and off-road setup with no extra tire changing work.

Back