• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Greetings from Alamogordo!

Looks like you are doing a great job with your place. I want to come and visit, but the wind is going to blow like crazy today. I'll ride my latest steed over when the Wx is better. I joined TWT back in '06 but haven't been on in a while. I need your address. PM or look for my cell# in my profile.

PS, love all your pics and adventures.

Dean

It's a little windy today, but the sun is shining... I just hope it doesn't get so windy that bike work is out of the question. I suppose I can always put the bike into the larger metal shed, but I don't even have any light rigged in there yet. It's a nice shed though, lol. 😉

I just gave my elderly Army vet neighbor a large pet bed for the dog he adopted, poor critter was lying on cold concrete this morning. My cats used the pet bed when I first bought it, but now they've all found better places to sleep... namely on the rack in my room, those blasted varmints & mattress hogs! 🤣

That same neighbor is the one who's always scoring heller chronic & black hash from his friends, he leaves bud over here all the time, even though I don't really smoke that much, lol. There's a small Tupperware container of weed over on my bar, I should probably put it in the fridge, aye? 🤔

Anyway, there's excellent riding here in Alamo, and up in the nearby Sacramento Mountains... dunno if you've ever run between Cloudcroft & Timberon, but that one paved road (Hwy. 6563?) is SO GOOD, like TWISTIES GOLD, lol. Lots of places to stop and have a picnic lunch too, not to mention a shitload of trails... 😎

There are some decent BBQ joints in Cloudcroft as well, plus the Western Bar, which is a classic place. I'll hafta post up some shots of nearby Cloudcroft, an alpine village and mountain paradise lying at roughly 8676' elevation... nearby peaks rise to over 9000' elevation, so we gots Texas beat, lol. 😳

P.S. Didn't I post the riding thread earlier? With nearby trails and whatnot? I think that thread might actually have Cloudcroft shots in it, for those who've never been there. Lemme post the link again, then check it for Cloudcroft shots... 😒

Riding Thread

Okay, I DID post some Cloudcroft shots in that particular thread, down toward the lower part of the first page... check out that BLUE SKY! Lol... no funky black smog layer like ya see when you're dropping down Cajon Pass into L.A.!!! Ugh... that funky smog is so thick you can cut it with a knife! I used to always joke with other truck drivers running my way down through the Pass... "Ya know we'll be breathing that funky **** PRONTO, right?" Should've carried some Jacques Cousteau scuba gear aboard the truck, just to wear into L.A., lol. Cue the heavy breathing soundtrack, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dang, that L.A. smog was NASTY! I don't miss it, or the Dago smog either! 😬

Edit: Sheesh, that wind picked up & shifted round to the NNW and the temp inside my home dropped 10* F in as many minutes, lol... closed the windows back up and put the heater on, aye? 🥶

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, NOT Texas, but I have relatives there, lol, and I meet riders from West Texas on the trails here in the Sacramento Mountains. This is gonna be a brief introduction, since my neighbor and I are about to fire up my BBQ and grill some steaks, brats, chicken, etc. Heaps of leftovers for manana, so I'm not cooking while I par-tay and watch championship football, lol. :trust:

I have a funky modified KLR (lighter than the average KLR by 30 lbs. or so), and I'm currently experiencing the "stuttering problem" mentioned in at least one site thread, aye? So I'll get into that later, I'm racing the clock (and a nice sunset) prior to loading up my grill, lol. Gonna eat well all weekend, that's for sure... :eat:

Here are shots of what the previous owner called "The Big Ugly!" Moi, I call it "Porky Pig" due to its still-porky weight, lol. And NO, this is NOT the first bike I ever owned, the others were ALL better, lol. Dang, sometimes I slay myself. This cold beer and the black hash I just smoked probably have something to do with it. :help:

View attachment 372910

View attachment 372911

View attachment 372912

View attachment 372913

Don't sweat the AZ plate, it's long gone, lol... but those shots were taken near Cochise Stronghold, back when I lived in Benson, AZ. More on that later, and more on the bike, I gotta get rollin' on this BBQ, lol. This cold beer tastes pretty darned good for a Saturday afternoon! CHEERS!!! :bbq:
Spent a couple of years there while stationed at Holloman. Was able to leave my house to ride in the desert up the mountain. Great street riding and LaLuz had a great little short track for night races. Holloman had a very active motorcycle club in 1974-75.

Yeah, Red Sands OHV Area is mere minutes from my home as well... my KLR is just a bit too heavy for any deep sand sections, though. Deep sand is the nemesis of the KLR, lol. Street legal bikes can ride through White Sands as long as they stay on the graded gypsum roads or paths... but thanks to Obama, it costs $25 to get into White Sands, unless ya go on the "free days" (which is the only time I visit, lol). A $25 entrance fee to a National Park for day use, PFFFFFFFFFT... 🤬

The road between Cloudcroft and Timberon plus old named 999 between Show Low and Alpine are several of my local south west favorites As a former road racer, quit just 4 or so years ago.

Look out over White Sands and Alamogordo about 5,000 ft below

i-Vn3SZZL-X2.jpg

The over 100 year old Lodge in Cloudcroft.

i-n69b6Wp-X2.jpg

On the Golf Course in Timberon.....No I don't play Golf

i-5dqdK3N-X3.jpg

Crusty has found a great place to ride and hike.

Haha, I've been there... to the overlook, I mean, haven't done the Lodge yet, though I've seen the billboard in the Tularosa Basin. I miss the White Mountains, that was a great riding venue, whether a rider was on pavement or dirt. 😎

I hiked White Sands and Dog Canyon not so long ago, I wanna pull an unsupervised hike under the full moon sometime in White Sands, that place is cool by moonlight! 🌕

Haven't ridden over there yet, but I've trucked through some of the Mogollons in New Mexico... that whole area looks awesome, with the Elk Mountains and the Gila Wilderness. Maybe one of these days I'll get over there... 😬

I've done the dirt road known as Trail #90, which drops down from a killer overlook (not far from Timberon) to High Rolls. I didn't get any photos of that ride---due to the fact that I used an old flip-phone and couldn't figure out how to transfer the pics to my computer---but I have some shots of that particular overlook somewhere in that riding thread I posted. Great place to have a sandwich and a cold beer, that overlook... the views are amazing! 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a killer view there. Here is a shot from that spot, we almost bought a little cabin in Bugsnuffle several thousand ft below the rim there.

i-kjspZ9p-X3.jpg

Alamogordo from somewhere on West Side Rd, White Sands in the background

i-w5vS3hF-X2.jpg

Crusty's account has been removed at his request.

Back