• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HealTech FI tuner?

Reaction score
Good day Y'all,
Q: On my new to me 2010 1250FA bandit, with 2450 miles on her.
I've punched a 1" hole in the airbox and put a Dominator touring slip on exhaust (db killer in) to open her up a bit. I'm interested to put a HealTech FI pro tuner on the front end.
It looks to be a simple although not perfect tune like a ecu reflash, but i want something cost affective, easy & simple to enrich the AFR on it similar to the Booster plug that doesn't fit.
Anybody using a HealTech tuner and your thoughts?
Thx Garry

I have one on my 2009 1250S. For the price I feel it's a good option, but does require either a professional tuner building a map for you or fairly extensive testing and experimentation on your part figuring out exactly where to add/subtract fuel. The fuel table is slightly different than Power Commander maps so comparing data directly requires a bit of estimation and guesswork. I found the bike from the factory to be rich down low and lean up top, in general.
The install is not hard and requires only basic comprehension of wiring and overall function of the device. You can either de-pin or cut the O2 wire to prevent the CEL from illuminating and the bike trying to alter AFR.

In addition to the HealTech FiTuner Pro I use a HealTech GiPro ATRE G2 to trick the ECU into running in 5/6 gear timing map permanently which gives smoother throttle in gears 1-4 and eliminates factory timing retardation from those gears. It makes for much easier low speed riding and less 'bucking' if you're feathering the throttle.

The factory headers are too small for good power, not to mention the factory catalytic converter. The secondary throttle plates are another large restriction on these bikes in the upper 7K+ RPM range. The fuel added here as well as eliminating the plates really changes the bike's top end power and feel.

Sounds like a big project to me, but I'm an old school tuner, surely behind the times and now everything looks like a big project :-) I'd never look to spend weeks getting my semi modern bike another 5 HP, but for sure I did when younger. I'll bet the Bandito forums can give you advice, probably even the perfect map to save ya a week or two.

I made several maps for experimentation but I believe this one runs the best for me in my area and for my mods. It is a *tad* rich hitting AFR in the low 12's in some areas but for the most part is 13.0 when WOT anywhere above 4K RPM. Honestly, a professional tuner would likely be able to do better but this is what I ended up with after much riding and comparing to several other Bandit owner's maps with similar mods.

For reference, on a zero map the bike would often be in the 15-16AFR range and there was a definite "sluggishness" in comparison. And when the fuel pump was clogged with debris it was in the 17-21 AFR range! The engine practically stalled then, thankfully I only rode it once like that before realizing what was happening and popping the pump out and clearing the internal screen of debris (black dust/dirt specks). A few thousand miles later and it's not happened again thankfully.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-03 165307.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-03 165307.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 103
Back