• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill country ride, a week late.

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
Three weeks ago, I went to the hill country. I saw Kevin Schwantz at a motorcycle museum in Burnet. (Imagine his picture here) I also talked to the man that organizes the Tour of Texas. (Imagine his picture here) The guy that is sponsored by the Tour of Texas, and the only stop that moves from town to town was also there. (Imagine his picture here with his bike and trailer in the background) The reason you are having to imagine pictures is because we left the museum and rode to another Tour stop. I put my phone in my jacket pocket and it fell out somewhere along highway 16. Imagine that.

This last weekend, I went back to the hill country with my friend Ray. His camper had been left in Fredericksburg because his truck's fan clutch had given out after only 250,000 miles. That faulty fan clutch gave us another opportunity to ride in the hill country. No Kevin, no Tour of Texas organizer and no roving stop. However, there was another museum on our route through Johnson City. The museum welcomed us with this Yamaha DT-1 dual sport.
IMG_1063.JPG

It had old bikes.
IMG_1051.JPG

They had 5 bikes that were bikes I have owned.
This Bonny is the same year and color as mine.
IMG_1062.JPG

I owned an X-6 Hustler with a 6 speed transmission which was pretty fancy in the early '70s. Mine did not leak.
IMG_1056.JPG

My CBX was the latter one with less horsepower and factory luggage.
IMG_1061.JPG

I only owned the Titan 500 for a short while. A used Water Buffalo replaced it when my neighbor decided to sell his.
IMG_1057.JPG

They also had a Hodaka and a Zundapp. I've owned both brands, but not the same models that were on display. This is a 200 Zundapp. Mine was a 250cc model, but just as ugly. If it wasn't for Zundapp, CZ and Bridgestone, most spark plug manufacturers would have gone out of business in the '60s and '70s.:-P:-P:-P
IMG_1055.JPG

While I didn't own one of these, the CB450 was a significant Honda motorcycle even though it failed in it's attempt to knock the Triumph Bonneville off of it's performance pedestal. It weighed more than the triumph and produced less horsepower. It did have some nice features over the Triumph. The valve guides didn't have to be replaced every 15,000 miles, the valves could be adjusted without removing any covers and it didn't leak. Later models, like this one, had disc brakes.
IMG_1060.JPG

Out of the museum and on to the hill country curves. Someone took a lot of time to carve this Trojan Horse out of a dead tree.
IMG_1065.JPG

One has to stop at creek crossings when in the Hill Country.
IMG_1074.JPG

This guy came paddling by while we were throwing rocks in the creek. I asked him to turn his Kayak upside down to show me his method of getting it back upright. He declined, so we threw a couple of rocks at him and sped off on our bikes.
IMG_1069.JPG

If you look closely across the middle of this picture, you can see a parade of leaf cutter ants carrying their harvest back to the nest.
IMG_1083.JPG

Since there was something special happening in Fredericksburg last weekend, the price of a campsite at Jellystone Campground nearly doubled. We opted for the more exclusive new campground next to Luckenbach. This pool is for the riff raff, also known as children.
IMG_1084.JPG

The adult pool lacked a waterfall, making it much less fun than the kid pool.
IMG_1089.JPG

There was a sign at this end of the pool that read, "Depth 7" no diving." Duh
IMG_1087.JPG

The next morning, we started our ride on the Willow City Loop. Fence art along the loop.
IMG_1096.JPG

Being Texas, of course there is a Lone Star boot.
IMG_1097.JPG

We stopped for lunch at a cafe close to the Willow City Loop. It was not a museum, but close to being one. I saw several autographed pictures of roadracers, so I asked the waiter if the owner was a racer. He replied, "Dad's an eccentric collector."
IMG_1098.JPG

-
The ex service station/now cafe still has a use for the original air lift.
IMG_1101.JPG

South of Fredericksburg is this old airplane. A fellow tourist told me that this airplane was a very significant airplane. I'm not sure whether he meant this particular plane, or this model of plane.
IMG_1102.JPG

Ray felt sorry for this guy from the Solomon Islands that had been stuck in the long hill country drought. With no hands, it's hard to clear one's dried up nostrils.
IMG_1105.JPG

A pretty spot with the Cypress trees turning colors.
IMG_1113.JPG

We stopped for gas and the station had a couple of E pumps. It costs twice as much to park here than it does to "fill up" here.
IMG_1115.JPG

Waterfall in the Hill Country.
IMG_1121.JPG

Name your place Boot Hill in Texas and you will also create a fence topped with boots.
IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

Back at the campground, I decided to take some pictures of the restroom, an opportunity to include a picture of myself in the report.
IMG_1126.JPG

Overlooking the campground. Some of the tiny houses in this picture are available for rent.
IMG_1129.JPG

It rained all day Sunday and I left my camera in camp while we drove the truck into Fredericksburg to go to the Museum of the Pacific. I recommend it.

Even with the recent rains, the rivers are low. These ducks don't seem to mind.
IMG_1134.JPG

I can't remember the name of this bridge, but it has something to do with the bridge being slick when wet.
IMG_1136.JPG

Downstream from "Slick Bridge" is another example of a clear Hill Country Stream.
IMG_1137.JPG

Jacob's Well, a 140' deep cave with spring water flowing from its depths.
IMG_1142.JPG

Time to hook up to the camper and head home.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
What a great loop. Did you put the route together or get it from somewhere else? Iā€™m looking to do a ride there after the first of the year.

Ray led. We rode 3 of the four days we were there. We decided a route while eating breakfast each morning.

That is one good looking SV650! and who is the Fatguy your traveling with, looks familiar!!
Wish I had a streetbike to ride with y'all! lol

Did you just call my friend fat while eating a bowl of ice cream, or was there cake under that ice cream? I know someone that will loan you a nice SV650 when you decide you want to go with us. It looks exactly like the one I was riding. :trust::trust::trust: If the weather looks nice enough, some of us are going to Big Bend after Christmas. Taking campers. I can load the SV and the Burgman and meet you there, or we could meet at my house and ride together. I'll be taking the 17' camper; you get the couch.

Last edited:
It needs a little work. You should be able to borrow it about the middle of January.

Never stopped at the museum, but I've ridden all those roads. Makes me homesick for Texas. Nice pics, thanks.

Back