• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hot weather gear while DS/ADV riding?

jsb

Reaction score
40 year rider. I have a gear collection, but most is low budget. Especially the hot weather gear. Klim goretex and other water resistant jackets & pants for cooler weather. For hot, I've usually gone with my old Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and Bilt partially-mesh pants. Both with inserted pads. I have been trying a Fox Titan hard armor 'jacket' for slower off-road use. Under the Phoenix w/o pads once. Usually all with a cotton/spandex shirt underneath I as typically find the polyester shirts itchy and hot. I have a Joe Rocket Sahara vest (wet for cooling) I've never used.
I know of folks breaking ribs so that protection is on my mind. I've fallen some in hill country rocks, so there's the benefit of hard armor vs sharp rocks.
Some folks think no mesh and regular jacket with vents open and underlayer of some sort is the way to go in the heat. I see more and more about a fitted underlayer, armored midlayer, then an unpadded jacket. Similar for below the waist.
I'm heading to the Junction rally (again) in late May and am trying to decide on the plan for these 90-100* days. With a water bladder w/ hose backpack to sip on consistently. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
What works great for you in those temps and why?
TIA.

40 year rider. I have a gear collection, but most is low budget. Especially the hot weather gear. Klim goretex and other water resistant jackets & pants for cooler weather. For hot, I've usually gone with my old Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and Bilt partially-mesh pants. Both with inserted pads. I have been trying a Fox Titan hard armor 'jacket' for slower off-road use. Under the Phoenix w/o pads once. Usually all with a cotton/spandex shirt underneath I as typically find the polyester shirts itchy and hot. I have a Joe Rocket Sahara vest (wet for cooling) I've never used.
I know of folks breaking ribs so that protection is on my mind. I've fallen some in hill country rocks, so there's the benefit of hard armor vs sharp rocks.
Some folks think no mesh and regular jacket with vents open and underlayer of some sort is the way to go in the heat. I see more and more about a fitted underlayer, armored midlayer, then an unpadded jacket. Similar for below the waist.
I'm heading to the Junction rally (again) in late May and am trying to decide on the plan for these 90-100* days. With a water bladder w/ hose backpack to sip on consistently. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
What works great for you in those temps and why?
TIA.
“Don’t let Dehydration, Ruin your Vacation”

I commute just over an hour home starting around 4:00 pm, right in the heat of the day. I use the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, or any other mesh jacket like that. I soak my shirt underneath the jacket and put ice in the pockets and in all the armor pockets as well, any place that can hold the ice. I also make sure to have two water bottles in the freezer so that they’re frozen solid by that time. It’s really cold whenever I put it on, but once moving, the ice thaws pretty quickly. By the time I get home I’m either dry or maybe slightly damp. The water bottles are completely thawed and slightly cool and perfect to chug to rehydrate. This is good for an hour or just slightly more. I’ve done that for long rides, stopping at a fast food place or gas station and getting a large drink, then filling the cup with ice to replace the other ice that’s thawed and evaporated. I probably look crazy pouring ice down my jacket, but it works for me.

Back