• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hotplate in the workshop!

Reaction score
Watching this video about replacing the water pump seal and bearings on a scooter and this cat 'Robot' has a brilliantly innovative idea:

He's using a regular hotplate to heat up parts that need to be separated, rather than a torch or heat gun like most of us might ordinarily use. Brilliant!

I JUST watched another video of a guy boiling (with shop hotplate) rubber intake manifolds to soften them up enough to allow push-fitting onto the cylinder and carbs ("boil" is over-statement, rather it was a slow warming to just below boiling). REALLY wish I was smart enough to do that on the Super Hawk...

Clever people out there (mixed in with a lot of not-clever people ;) )

I JUST watched another video of a guy boiling (with shop hotplate) rubber intake manifolds to soften them up enough to allow push-fitting onto the cylinder and carbs ("boil" is over-statement, rather it was a slow warming to just below boiling). REALLY wish I was smart enough to do that on the Super Hawk...

Clever people out there (mixed in with a lot of not-clever people ;) )

Yeah, if you watch to the end of this, there's a point at which you are to "press" the reconditioned part/bearings into the side cover, and he just puts that aluminum side cover by itself on the hotplate and then basically drops in the new part with just a couple of taps. Hot plate seems like a whole lot safer way to do this sort of thing too.

I cook parts in oil if i want to heat them and a hot air heat gun is the best thing in the world for working with hard rubber parts

Back