• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How Long do Radiator Hoses Last?

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Harrison
Time to do the annual maintenance on my 2013 Honda NC700X with around 32,000 miles. I usually pull the radiator aside to check / adjust the valves. The hoses are 10 years old now, never had a problem and they look fine. Anybody have these fail, particularly on a Japanese bike? How long did they last? I'm thinking I should replace them this year. Appreciate any thoughts.

My Valkyrie is coming up on 24 years old since I bought it. (4/1/99) with 202,000 miles. All hoses are original except the vulnerable one on the very front. I hit a coyote a couple of years ago andit smashed that hose so it started a slow seep. I replaced it a month or two later.

Modern hoses are much better than those of 30-40 years ago.
My '94 GL1500 had the original hoses on it when I sold it recently with no signs of deterioration.
That said, it could have blown at any time for all I know.

If you have the opportunity to inspect the inside, that is sometimes the “hidden” failure. Common knowledge that weathering cracks are warning signs but the inside is a pretty harsh environment too.

Ive had hoses last 30 years and I’ve seen failures in a couple years , it’s all about who made the hose , every vacume hose on my jap bikes was rotted in a couple years but other bikes have never been a problem . In my shop I buy every hose that I could from Parker Hannifin and have had gas and fuel hoses for 40 years of use with no failures . I do not use any hose made in china , even a brand new garden hose is bad the first time you use it

If they aren't cracked, or when you squeeze them you don't find a soft spot, they should be fine. In the old days I would proactively change radiator hoses, thermostats, and fan belts on cars every 3 years or so, I saw too many busted ones in the gas station I worked at. These days I don't even think about them unless its time to change a timing chain or replace a radiator.

I really appreciate the comments. I've inspected the outside pretty closely and they look really good so I'm going to leave them be. At least I'll know that I won't suffer a case of "Infant Mortality" by installing new ones. That happened to me one time when I pro-actively changed the hoses on my washing machine. A day after installing new ones, one of them burst. Fortunately I was pretty close to catch it.

you didn’t need to bring up radiators , plastic chinese radiators are failing in less than 5 years and it seems that’s all that are out there these days , I had to have a radiator custom built for my forklift , 800 bucks worth but I will never need to replace it and I custom made silicon hoses for it . I’m thinking I would probably be money ahead to do that for my trucks too .

Back