• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting find on USGS topo map!

Reaction score
So I was looking at USGS maps around Spanish Fort for interesting things to see on my next trip up that way and look what I found.
ncoaq0.jpg

Yes that says footbridge. Over the Red River.

Some further goggling lead me to this interesting page about 'lost places' around nocona, it's a recommended read and has some places that I've now gotta find. Chimney Rock chiefly. http://www.noconacn.net/NCN/lostplaces.htm#Foot Bridge Over Red River:

Sadly there isn't much left as pictued below, but still I'd loved to have been able to walk over the red river
309j9za.jpg

There's also a another 'burned out' bridge just to the southwest that I've added to my "To Visit" waypoints list.
5wz0k1.jpg

Is the footbridge near Burned Out Bridge Road? I was trying to find it on Google Maps.

Sadly there isn't much left as pictued below, but still I'd loved to have been able to walk over the red river
Not trying to be "smart", but you can go west to Palo Duro Canyon and step across it...
I was much younger when I got the chance, but still remember being able to cross a river with one step.

Back