• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jump a motorcycle from a car battery?

If you have not been hurt doing this, consider yourself fortunate. The issue I see with jumping from a car battery to a motorcycle battery is when there is a problem with the motorcycles electrical system. For instance, if there is a short in the motorcycle battery or starter etc. then the motorcycle can draw all of the available amps from the car battery; which can be more amps than the wiring and motorcycle electrical components are rated for. This can result in fire, melted wiring, motorcycle battery explosion and/or serious bodily injury. I have a BS in electrical engineering, a PE license in electrical engineering and worked as a registered electrical and instrumentation engineer for over 30 years.

I hope my comment helps someone out here to understand the danger associated with making too much power available to an electrical system.

I rented a Harley once , setting at a stoplight it shakes so bad I couldn’t see across the intersection my eyeballs were bouncing around so much , when you blip the throttle it smoothed out and you can see what color the lights are .

Last edited:
The only danger is if you hook the cables up backwards . You can make a thousand amps available to a tail light bulb and it won’t hurt a thing . Just because the amps are there means nothing , the device is only going to use what it wants to . If you don’t have enough amps available you won’t be going anywhere because the starter motor won’t start the motor with half the amps it needs . Too many amps makes it start really good . Not enough amps gets you nowhere . And you can hold amps in your hands too . Volts is what bites .

I dunno man, maybe we should outlaw jumper cables...

They are dangerous in some peoples hands , so are motorcycles . I’m pretty sure some people can cause damage with a marshmallow .

Back