• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

K1600 vs Gold wing

Thinking about shaking the fleet up a bit and getting a touring bike maybe in next 6 months. Let's say $8-12K. Looking at used K1600 or Gold Wing.

What would you get and why?

I'm not afraid to work on older bike. I will say I find fairings on the R100RTP and K1300S rather tedious
I am big guy both in height and width - I can flat foot a GSA and my FLHP has the police seat, 2" forward floor boards and a 1.5" rear brake pedal
Not sure if Comfy or Fast is most important, but both must be in abundance.
Current stable has little of everything Rocket3, GSA, Harley Tourings, a K1300s and, just for fun, KZ1000P & R1100RTP project bikes

Would would like the "scare you poo-less" of the K1300S, the ability to stretch out like the FLHP, and the easy handling of the GSA

I don't want to disappoint you but as a tall guy, neither bike will suit you. Both are made for short people, low seat hight and very low peg to seat ratio. The mods to get the GW 6,5"+ ready are north of 2k and still not satisfactory. The BMW will be cheaper to get the pegs down, but hard to find a taller seat.

As far as Bike goes, the K1600 has better performance and handling than a GW (same gen. comparison) both bikes are reliable but the Honda might hold resale a little better, or will sell faster if you have too.

I’ve owned several 1800 wings, rode the new dct and 6 speed wings and a k1600b and gt on several occasions on both long rides and twisties.

From the way I see it if you’re going to spend big money on a bike you should get something that puts a smile on your face. The k1600s did that especially the b, but while the wings are great bikes they felt more like appliances or cars and comfort was pretty similar.

Also for the record BMWs can be maintenance nightmares/money pits but they can also be just as reliable as a goldwing and vice versa. I’ve had a goldwing that needed thousands in repairs by 70k miles because of internal engine adg failure and issues with 5th gear (more common than you’d think on 2001-2017 1800s) and I know people with 6 digit mileage bmws that never had issues. Don’t let a brand name stop you from getting a bike you enjoy.

Also for the record BMWs can be maintenance nightmares/money pits but they can also be just as reliable as a goldwing and vice versa. I’ve had a goldwing that needed thousands in repairs by 70k miles because of internal engine adg failure and issues with 5th gear (more common than you’d think on 2001-2017 1800s) and I know people with 6 digit mileage bmws that never had issues. Don’t let a brand name stop you from getting a bike you enjoy.

Yep, it's pretty much a coin toss these days. My Wing has 170K and I've replaced the alternator and the water pump. I have Wing friends with over 250K miles on theirs.

I've been thinking about these same two bikes myself. Not that I want to trade in the GS, but as a comfie 2 up situation for my bride's occasional whimsy to don a helmet and join me on a ride. She hates the GS for some reason. No armrests, backrest, and comfy seat I've been told. There may be other reasons, so as an experiment I would stick to a second hand bike to avoid a bloodbath on depreciation.

From a 2up perspective, my mom looked the Goldwing far better. She said it was much more comfortable for her. As the rider, I would've liked the BMW better. As the mechanic I didn't like either of them being totally plastic coated.

I've been thinking about these same two bikes myself. Not that I want to trade in the GS, but as a comfie 2 up situation for my bride's occasional whimsy to don a helmet and join me on a ride. She hates the GS for some reason. No armrests, backrest, and comfy seat I've been told.
My wing has the swing-out armrests and my wife has fallen asleep several times on longer rides. Fortunately, when she did that her helmet would bump into the back of mine and I knew it was time to stop for a bit.

Once I upgraded to the Traxxion suspension it was MUCH more comfortable for her on the back. Those expansion strips on the California freeways would pound on her spine something fierce to the point where I would ride from Ontario to Pink's taking side streets and stay off of I-10.

I guess I'll throw my $0.02 in since I was sitting on this same fence a couple years ago, and ended up buying a 2020 Goldwing (bagger, non-Tour), 6MT. At the time, I was riding a '98 Valkyrie, so I had a little "inertia" to the Honda flat-six. I demo'ed both the MT and DCT versions of the 'Wing, at the time I was not overly impressed with the DCT. Granted, it was only a 15 minute demo ride, but it felt somewhat unpredictable, especially at low speeds, and while upshifts were buttery smooth, downshifting was met with six lurches as you come up to every stoplight. It did not rev-match well. The MT finally got the 6th gear GL'ers had been asking for since pretty much forever, and was predictably excellent. Engine was smooth, crazy low torque peak, but still had some top end too.

I also demo'd a K1600B. It was fast, hands down more thrilling when you "give it the beans". And not just "fast....for a cruiser", it was properly fast. Reminded me of a buddy's Concours14. Oddly enough, the handling actually felt a bit heavier. The 2018+ Wing's feel like they have power steering, think about a corner and it's going through it. Brakes on both were excellent. Just like the Valk, the Wing can lean a lot further than you might think before something drags. To make it scrape, you need to be taking corners frankly, probably faster than is wise on public roads. It's not a low slung Harley that drags turning through a 4-way. Note the non-Tour model sits about an inch higher than the Tour- they are slightly lowered to offset the higher center of gravity from the trunk and presumed passenger, so a Tour won't have quite the clearance.

When it came down to it, I loved the extra performance of the BMW, but ultimately that was it's only "pro" to me over the 'Wing. The GW was still more than fast enough to have some fun with when the itch arises (it will happily smoke the rear tire through top of 2nd gear if you ask it to- as the bagger does not have traction control), and "everything else" was more practical. I knew maintenance/running costs would be far lower on the Honda, and at the time, BMW forums were full of chatter about 1600's "consuming" somewhat alarming quantities of oil and dealers insisting it's normal to need to add half a quart every thousand miles or so. The Honda has no annoying non-resettable maintenance nags, I generally liked it's neutral/upright ergonomics better, I liked it's infotainment system better (supports Carplay/AA, so who cares the baked in navigation sucks), and overall preferred the styling as well.

I now have about 35k on the Goldwing and it's 3yr warranty is about to run out. The bike has been absolutely flawless, and I have zero regrets about my choice. I have done the "dreaded" air filter service (time consuming, but buy Fred's videos and it's not difficult) also- Honda's suggested interval- 15k- must assume you drive exclusively on dirt roads in the southwest, since even 10k past the interval, the filter didn't look bad at all- I plan to probably go 30-40k until I bother again. A valve check was a snap and easy DIY in about an hour. Tire life has also been shockingly good- I got 17k out of the OEMs, a surprise as the Valkyrie ate a rear tire every 6-7k. I replaced them with Shinko 890s, which are poised to go even further. I'm at 18k on the rear tire and bet it will easily top 20k. First bike I've had where the rears outlast the fronts.

Another pleasant surprise of the GW- fuel economy. The Valk was only good for low-30s. Maybe 35 if you babied it. This 2020 averages 48-50mpg, cruise set at 75. Slower back roads I've seen well into the 50s- and it's perfectly happy on 87 fuel. From what I've heard, the k1600's are fairly thirsty, and demand premium. Hardly my main priority, but a nice bonus, and saves you $10 on every pit stop.

The 1600 does not "require" premium, it recommendeds minimum of 89 octane (mid-grade) fuel, newer bikes (2020 I think? maybe a bit older) recommend 87 octane (regular) fuel. I run 87 in mine no issues.
You do get better performance with the higher octane, but it is not required.
For economy, I am getting mid to upper 30's on my K1600, which for me is good, on my GL1500 I was doing good to get upper 20's/low 30's, on my GL1800, I was consistent low 30's.
I like the go stick, and use it a lot (especially on the 1600); I see triple digit speeds more than I like to admit (on a closed track of course).
I could probably get better mileage if I drove like a sane person.

I am big guy both in height and width - I can flat foot a GSA and my FLHP has the police seat, 2" forward floor boards and a 1.5" rear brake pedal
Not sure if Comfy or Fast is most important, but both must be in abundance.

I looked at motorcycle ergos and the FJR shows a 72° knee & 78° hip angle for me - That knee angle is no-go for me. My K1300S has similar numbers (73°K / 78°H), I added Helio bars and 1" drop pegs and still have trouble.

The K16GT shows (83°K / 90°H) which is a good comparison to my R11100RTP (77°K / 83°) which I do pretty OK on

I don't want to disappoint you but as a tall guy, neither bike will suit you. Both are made for short people, low seat hight and very low peg to seat ratio. The mods to get the GW 6,5"+ ready are north of 2k and still not satisfactory. The BMW will be cheaper to get the pegs down, but hard to find a taller seat.

Reading that the op is a taller rider, I'll leave a shameless plug for the lowly Kawasaki Versys 1000.

I've only owned my 2020 for 5 months and 2500 miles (too hot to ride much here in the summer), but it is easily the most comfortable, high speed highway, all day motorcycle of the 15 or so bikes I have owned over the years. Very roomy rider triangle, tons of leg room and with the crash bars and highway pegs my legs are never cramped. Very good protection from the wind with the aftermarket Givi Airflow windscreen, I'm 5'11" and with the screen in it's lowest position I can ride helmet visor up at speeds up to about 65-70mph without having to squint my eyes from the wind. I don't ride with a pillion but the pillion seat is large and roomy appearing. Kaw's excellent inline-4 is buttery smooth and linear, with 120 HP and IIRC about 70 ft. lb torque, and it will definitely wake you up when running it up to it's 10,000 RPM redline. Clutch is light and effortless, brakes are powerful and linear, and the factory quick shifter works well and is tons of fun to play with - running it through the gears makes one sound like a very skilled racer, lol (this feature and cruise control and cornering ABS, etc. were added in 2019 and the price was bumped accordingly). The bike weighs 550 lbs or so wet, and is very stable even on our windy western interstates at speed. Probably 1/3 of the miles I've put on the bike were on very curvy mountain/forest roads, and for a tall, moderately heavy machine the bike is very quick handling and does quite well. The upright neutral seating position also helps with handling, IMO.

The ONLY thing I have found that I don't like is the bike is very tall. Never thought it would be an issue but as it is very top heavy I don't care for moving it around parking lots, etc, and I am not quite flat-footed at stops. Just ordered a set of lowering links from Motowerk, and will be raising the forks also to achieve a roughly 1" drop. As the OP mentioned being tall this wouldn't be a concern.

Used 2019's (with all the bells and whistles, including a nice set of factory panniers) can be found for $11-12k. 2015-2018 last gen models with the same motor and geometry, can be found for $5-8k.

These bikes have a well earned reputation for lower maintenance costs and an excellent reliability record.

495F81DC-57D6-49B1-BE84-B236BA591F2E.jpeg

A337C8FA-4E99-4C81-8136-307A9C1D88D7.jpeg

I would rather go on a boxer RT/RS/GS but flavors are different. Just thinking K1600 or Goldwings are a bit different category than the Versys.
A bit more in the sporting, non-land yacht category than both (with the K1600 being more sporty than the GW).

The turbine like smoothness of the V1k in-line 4 is much more similiar to the K1600’s in-line 6 than the big opposed twins on the bikes you mentioned.

The Kaw also handles the same typical uses just as well, including hours of interstate slab and also being a fun ride in the mountains and smaller paved backroads. The guys I ride with that own the K1600 and the GW would probably agree - as we have ridden the same roads on several multi day trips and everyone enjoyed the ride.

Last edited:
Back