• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Long time listener, first time caller...

Reaction score
Evening TWT'ers and TWT'ets, Robert here. 2 stroke dirt riding was my first home at 8yo. Years have gone by with kids and a couple of divorces. Enjoying life now with the kids and bikes. We're running a '08 Suzuki M109R, '21 Indian Challenger, '17 DRZ400S, '03 Yamaha TTR225 (daughter), and a '23 Xmoto 125 (son). I've been through all but 4 south eastern US states on the street bikes and grew tired of leaving the sights at the shoulder of the road to be see from a distance. Hence, the DRZ. Looking for more dirt than street adventures now. It's been great to get back on the dirt on a thumper to go explore. While I still enjoy my street bikes, the DRZ is where I'm focused at the moment. If you are in the DFW area and have room for another dirt rider, please let me know. This has been a truly different world so far. I like to ride, a lot. Comfort has little effect on my will to start/finish a ride. (The 109 has been through every state west of the Mississippi pulling a trailer.)
The adventure bike scene seems to be larger bikes for the most part from what I've seen the most. Don't get me wrong, the big KTM's and BMW's are beautiful bikes, and I've crossed paths with many people across the country riding them crazy distances at a time but, they aren't necessarily in the shape to have to pick it up by themselves so it stays a 80S/20D bike. I intend to ride most times by myself. The lighter the bike, the better. I'm aiming for more of a 20S/80D ratio. Hoping to find some leads here. Granted its been 15 years since I was on a forum site.

20220302_165741.jpg
20231111_140938.jpg

image000000.JPG

Welcome to TWT. I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded folks here (like me, but I sold out to an Africa Twin)

Hello!

Seeing you mentioned some dirt riding. If you haven't checked out Eisenhower State Park's OHV trails near Lake Texoma (~45 minutes north of you) there's some good shorter trails that are worth a day trip.

Edit: Should mention that I would wait on riding there until maybe mid-March unless you like mud, rainy winter can turn a lot of it into a bit of a mud pit.

Hello!

Seeing you mentioned some dirt riding. If you haven't checked out Eisenhower State Park's OHV trails near Lake Texoma (~45 minutes north of you) there's some good shorter trails that are worth a day trip.

Edit: Should mention that I would wait on riding there until maybe mid-March unless you like mud, rainy winter can turn a lot of it into a bit of a mud pit.
Thanks Brian! I had not heard of those at all before! Thanks for the heads up. Also sounds like a day trip for me and the kids when they're ready.

Evening TWT'ers and TWT'ets, Robert here. 2 stroke dirt riding was my first home at 8yo. Years have gone by with kids and a couple of divorces. Enjoying life now with the kids and bikes. We're running a '08 Suzuki M109R, '21 Indian Challenger, '17 DRZ400S, '03 Yamaha TTR225 (daughter), and a '23 Xmoto 125 (son). I've been through all but 4 south eastern US states on the street bikes and grew tired of leaving the sights at the shoulder of the road to be see from a distance. Hence, the DRZ. Looking for more dirt than street adventures now.

View attachment 371754
Welcome from the hills on the edge of the coastal plains! I also have a 2018 DRz400...best dirt bike on the street IMO. Does that seat pad help much? That's my one complaint...saddle soreness occurs rather quickly...Much like you mentioned I have ridden the paved biways and highways from coast to coast, just shigh of one northern state to say "border to border" and the myriad tantalizing dirt roads/paths meandering of to "nowhere" were really what I was interested in. Am going to head to BB area this spring as well. Perhaps we'll cross trails someday! Cheers!

Welcome from the hills on the edge of the coastal plains! I also have a 2018 DRz400...best dirt bike on the street IMO. Does that seat pad help much? That's my one complaint...saddle soreness occurs rather quickly...Much like you mentioned I have ridden the paved biways and highways from coast to coast, just shigh of one northern state to say "border to border" and the myriad tantalizing dirt roads/paths meandering of to "nowhere" were really what I was interested in. Am going to head to BB area this spring as well. Perhaps we'll cross trails someday! Cheers!

Look forward to it Turbo. I can only imagine the miles of dirt in BB. Being through states like Utah and Arizona, Tx seems to really limit the public land use for riding. Similar to how the BB park has very limited trails for hiking even, relative to the size of the park. I hope the dirt side has some great surprises in store.
The seat cover is really more for grip rather than extra cushion. There's many guys out there running the wide seat from Seat Concepts that have great reviews to spread your weight out more and save the back side. Similar to these.

Look forward to it Turbo. I can only imagine the miles of dirt in BB. Being through states like Utah and Arizona, Tx seems to really limit the public land use for riding. Similar to how the BB park has very limited trails for hiking even, relative to the size of the park. I hope the dirt side has some great surprises in store.
The seat cover is really more for grip rather than extra cushion. There's many guys out there running the wide seat from Seat Concepts that have great reviews to spread your weight out more and save the back side. Similar to these.

Is that the seat you are using? I can't tell from the photo but it does appear to be different than the stock profile. Technically this is now my sons bike, but he is away at college and I ride it for him to keep it "fresh" for when he gets a break to come home and ride.

I've ridden as far as I was able on beach from the road accessible Padre Island portions years ago. That was more of an adventure than I expected, especially the south Padre portion. These were done on STOCK KLR's so I know it could easily be done with a DRz400s. Well, a YOUNG rider would have less issues I'm sure.

Lincoln National Forest in southern NM (have to traverse through some of it to access the North Guadalupe Mountains NP campgrounds) seemed to have quite a diverse trail system and I drove 4X4 on what I was told was part of the (correct me if necessary) "Butterfield Overland Stagecoach route" as far as I felt comfortable. It got quite tight and no maintaining at all after some point.

Yes, sadly, as big as Texas is, it is sorely lacking in true "public lands" to ride on. I LOVED the Utah/Moab trails I tried years ago and have been hankering to go back and REALLY explore (for weeks even months at a time if need be). Having said this there are miles and miles of unpaved 'roads' all around the BB area. Even the BB NP itself severely limits where riders can go stating "environmental reasons" (which is bewildering if you ask me) since it's basically a desert "wasteland" and I mean this with all due respect for it's rugged beauty. I severely doubt that even if ALL the adventure riders descending on this park and "trail blazed" at their whims, that much would really be truly damaged, and if so, nature has a way, especially with their "typhoon style" rains I've witnessed there (once while we were in the "low" spot of Black Gap) where the entire area was deluged with INCHES of rain in less than an hour and was impassable for about 30 minutes or so till the ground dried up enough to not have your wheels encased in INCHES of BB MUD from ****. Interestingly, the next day we traversed Black Gap from the opposite direction and SAW NO SIGN of our "trenches" nor a single knobby mark anywhere that we had CLEARLY left the day prior. So I call BS to the Park's services claim for THAT SPECIFIC AREA.

Once you've ridden all the off-road parts of BB (which I highly recommend if you haven't) then there is SO MUCH to explore west of there. Of course much caution is recommended with the state of the NARCO's but Chianati Springs and the various routes to get there are VERY fun and some parts (depending on rain or lack thereof) can be quite challenging especially for those that prefer that tarmac. One of my bucket list "missions" is to see if there is a passable route from Presidio all the way to El Paso (or close to it). I have yet to meet a single living soul that knows and/or has done this themselves. I talked to a VERY old man back in the early 90's that told us he used to drive his pickup all the way to El Paso without getting on IH 10... could have been a tall tale and he was drinking bourbon at the time. I'm sure he's passed on by now.

Google Maps refuses to route anything past Candeleria even though there is clearly a road that continues. Maybe it's not contiguous anymore? Anyone know anything different? Please share. (we can start another post ...not intending to hijack). So much "in our backyard" to explore yet!
1704561427800.png

Is that the seat you are using? I can't tell from the photo but it does appear to be different than the stock profile. Technically this is now my sons bike, but he is away at college and I ride it for him to keep it "fresh" for when he gets a break to come home and ride.

I've ridden as far as I was able on beach from the road accessible Padre Island portions years ago. That was more of an adventure than I expected, especially the south Padre portion. These were done on STOCK KLR's so I know it could easily be done with a DRz400s. Well, a YOUNG rider would have less issues I'm sure.

Lincoln National Forest in southern NM (have to traverse through some of it to access the North Guadalupe Mountains NP campgrounds) seemed to have quite a diverse trail system and I drove 4X4 on what I was told was part of the (correct me if necessary) "Butterfield Overland Stagecoach route" as far as I felt comfortable. It got quite tight and no maintaining at all after some point.

Yes, sadly, as big as Texas is, it is sorely lacking in true "public lands" to ride on. I LOVED the Utah/Moab trails I tried years ago and have been hankering to go back and REALLY explore (for weeks even months at a time if need be). Having said this there are miles and miles of unpaved 'roads' all around the BB area. Even the BB NP itself severely limits where riders can go stating "environmental reasons" (which is bewildering if you ask me) since it's basically a desert "wasteland" and I mean this with all due respect for it's rugged beauty. I severely doubt that even if ALL the adventure riders descending on this park and "trail blazed" at their whims, that much would really be truly damaged, and if so, nature has a way, especially with their "typhoon style" rains I've witnessed there (once while we were in the "low" spot of Black Gap) where the entire area was deluged with INCHES of rain in less than an hour and was impassable for about 30 minutes or so till the ground dried up enough to not have your wheels encased in INCHES of BB MUD from ****. Interestingly, the next day we traversed Black Gap from the opposite direction and SAW NO SIGN of our "trenches" nor a single knobby mark anywhere that we had CLEARLY left the day prior. So I call BS to the Park's services claim for THAT SPECIFIC AREA.

Once you've ridden all the off-road parts of BB (which I highly recommend if you haven't) then there is SO MUCH to explore west of there. Of course much caution is recommended with the state of the NARCO's but Chianati Springs and the various routes to get there are VERY fun and some parts (depending on rain or lack thereof) can be quite challenging especially for those that prefer that tarmac. One of my bucket list "missions" is to see if there is a passable route from Presidio all the way to El Paso (or close to it). I have yet to meet a single living soul that knows and/or has done this themselves. I talked to a VERY old man back in the early 90's that told us he used to drive his pickup all the way to El Paso without getting on IH 10... could have been a tall tale and he was drinking bourbon at the time. I'm sure he's passed on by now.

Google Maps refuses to route anything past Candeleria even though there is clearly a road that continues. Maybe it's not contiguous anymore? Anyone know anything different? Please share. (we can start another post ...not intending to hijack). So much "in our backyard" to explore yet!
View attachment 371812

My seat is still stock. Just with that bulldog cover on it. I figure I'll stick with it until I can't handle it any more then make the upgrade.

I couldn't agree with you more about the Tx limits and their worry of damage to the environment. Utah and AZ welcome everyone to come enjoy what their state has to offer. Meanwhile here in Tx, we share with no one including our own. I've lived here my entire life so feel its ok to share that opinion openly. I hope the DRz helps get me to the places I hope exist around the state. If not, I'll be making a yearly trip for several weeks to Utah to get my fix.

While google may not offer a side route, I would be willing to bet the open maps on many trail apps offer such a track. Not being familiar with the off the grid area or its ppl, I'd be hesitant to go through closed along the route. We are still in Tx of course where warning shots don't always happen.
I believe the BB trip sounds like a good idea while waiting on the higher elevations of AZ and NM to thaw out. I have it on my calendar so we shall see.
Even finding trails or back roads from Marfa through the McDonald Observatory area headed to Balmorhea would be great. That is a beautiful area.

Its very nice of you to keep your sons bike fresh for him. We should all be so lucky!

My seat is still stock. Just with that bulldog cover on it. I figure I'll stick with it until I can't handle it any more then make the upgrade.

I couldn't agree with you more about the Tx limits and their worry of damage to the environment. Utah and AZ welcome everyone to come enjoy what their state has to offer. Meanwhile here in Tx, we share with no one including our own. I've lived here my entire life so feel its ok to share that opinion openly. I hope the DRz helps get me to the places I hope exist around the state. If not, I'll be making a yearly trip for several weeks to Utah to get my fix.

While google may not offer a side route, I would be willing to bet the open maps on many trail apps offer such a track. Not being familiar with the off the grid area or its ppl, I'd be hesitant to go through closed along the route. We are still in Tx of course where warning shots don't always happen.
I believe the BB trip sounds like a good idea while waiting on the higher elevations of AZ and NM to thaw out. I have it on my calendar so we shall see.
Even finding trails or back roads from Marfa through the McDonald Observatory area headed to Balmorhea would be great. That is a beautiful area.

Its very nice of you to keep your sons bike fresh for him. We should all be so lucky!

Yes, it's such a chore! I bought it in 2018 put about 3k miles and gave it to him when I got a Tenere 700 last year. He loves it but it wouldn't be his for long where he'd have to park it at his dorms...and being that it's carbureted "someone" has to keep the fuel fresh in the system. (Draining the bowl isn't necessary yet :-P)

As for parks in general: I have had more than one interrogation session (they do work for me, afterall, no?) with some of the more liberal park rangers over the years over the hypocrisy of how they want to "share" these lands with the public yet at the same time SEVERELY restrict access/use to them...who made them "god" to make these rules for thee and me when I KNOW they don't follow them when taxpayers aren't in sight (or are we? :trust:). There are several "park lands" in Texas (names escape me at the moment) that have been donated years/even decades ago that STILL aren't open to the public yet there are dozens of TPWD uniformed people "living" there. Ok, what exactly is needed to open a park these days? Not much more than a gate "hut" and seriously how many years does it take to build a restroom? (probably 20,000 rules/regulations now to be fair with handicapped access etc). One of these I was told about was already running as a guest park so had cabin/lodges, RV pads, various maintenance buildings, lake with a nice dock, etc. it was about as turnkey as anything to be a state park but nope...not open yet.

I'm looking into the Rally mentioned on this forum near Terlingua Feb 28+ might be able to break free for a few days and ride some of that area with other ADV riders. Sounds like fun.

Btw I've been to Candeleria/Chinati hot springs area several times in the past decades, all accessible off HWY 170 so not anyone's property...but beyond that...not yet. It's the "wild" frontier yet to be explored.

We need to continue this topic with some adult beverages for sure! Keep me in mind for the 28th trip. I'll keep my schedule open for a few days after incase there's a spot I can slip in with yall. Great talkin with you Turbo!

Yes, it's such a chore! I bought it in 2018 put about 3k miles and gave it to him when I got a Tenere 700 last year. He loves it but it wouldn't be his for long where he'd have to park it at his dorms...and being that it's carbureted "someone" has to keep the fuel fresh in the system. (Draining the bowl isn't necessary yet :-P)

As for parks in general: I have had more than one interrogation session (they do work for me, afterall, no?) with some of the more liberal park rangers over the years over the hypocrisy of how they want to "share" these lands with the public yet at the same time SEVERELY restrict access/use to them...who made them "god" to make these rules for thee and me when I KNOW they don't follow them when taxpayers aren't in sight (or are we? :trust:). There are several "park lands" in Texas (names escape me at the moment) that have been donated years/even decades ago that STILL aren't open to the public yet there are dozens of TPWD uniformed people "living" there. Ok, what exactly is needed to open a park these days? Not much more than a gate "hut" and seriously how many years does it take to build a restroom? (probably 20,000 rules/regulations now to be fair with handicapped access etc). One of these I was told about was already running as a guest park so had cabin/lodges, RV pads, various maintenance buildings, lake with a nice dock, etc. it was about as turnkey as anything to be a state park but nope...not open yet.

I'm looking into the Rally mentioned on this forum near Terlingua Feb 28+ might be able to break free for a few days and ride some of that area with other ADV riders. Sounds like fun.

Btw I've been to Candeleria/Chinati hot springs area several times in the past decades, all accessible off HWY 170 so not anyone's property...but beyond that...not yet. It's the "wild" frontier yet to be explored.

We need to continue this topic with some adult beverages for sure! Keep me in mind for the 28th trip. I'll keep my schedule open for a few days after incase there's a spot I can slip in with yall. Great talkin with you Turbo!

Looking forward to it! Same to you bud!

Back