• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motocross fitness

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

To some extent woods riding works into this. Even in my poor shape I take newer riders out and they're whipped. I train my moto muscles anyway! lol

Riding is harder than people think, especially off-road riding. Wish I had an appropriate bike and the time to ride it. I'd be in much better shape. I spend too much time driving a desk.

Almost all motorsports are done better with physical fitness and endurance (along with the requisite skill and chutzpah).
Most folks don't realize this and think it is not much different than cruising down the intestate.

Oh those thrilling days of yesteryear(71/72) if memory serves, when the AMA switched to THREE 45 minute motos at first, it was a bigtime game changer. Thank the Lord it didn't take long for them to switch to TWO.

Mx is demanding beyond what most folks would ever imagine - even on a Honda 150 play bike 😂

Laps on an MX are certainly a way to judge your fitness level of your entire body at any age. Many of the adventure riders that come to the track are just trying to keep the fitness level up for their next long distance ride. Gary Anderson at 75+ loved track riding just to stay up on his fitness level - Lord Rest His Sole.

Last edited:
Reactions: my6
Yes sir. In my teens I had a set of well developed legs. I still couldn't out run a turtle. But I could put 50lbs on my back and run up and down the bleachers multiple times. My gym coach was amazed that I didn't play highschool sports. MX was and is physically demanding for sure.

Mx is demanding beyond most folks would ever imagine.
Amen. No way researchers can compare by trying to do it in a lab. Throw in your heart rate, breathing, and mental stress as you rail a berm during a pass, feeling the back end dance as you rip gnarly whoops, or bang elbows/slice small spaces in a first turn and then tell me what the comparison is. There is no other sport I can think of that demands full on concentration and physical output for that long a period uninterupted. Don't even bring in mud, dust, roost, etc. It's these immeasurable things that put MX way over the top.

A buddy was a big time tennis player in his mid 30's, thought he was in good shape. He rode a little MX in his younger days and decided to buy a bike and come ride with me in the SHNF. 25-30 minutes in and he was done, stick a fork in him. I was just getting warmed up.

Rode a National HS many years ago, you could tell the guys who didn't train once the third hour hit.

Reactions: my6
Waaaaaay back in either 04, 05 or 06 (can't rememeber) My late 40's and in decent shape. I took 1st 250B at TSCEC New Caney Enduro. It was a very HOT one! I was good until I finished loading my bike and changed clothes. Then it hit me. HARD. I made it home and called in sick the next day. It was my last enduro I think.

In the early 70s I begged Dad to take me to see the Bruce Brown flick On Any Sunday; he did. I vaguely recall folding chairs on the floor of a bike shop in Pasadena.

Some event details may be off but, I distinctly recall Brown commenting 2nd to soccer, MX is the most phisically demanding sport.

Quite a few years ago when the magazine "Outside" wasn't a green commie rag like it is today, they did an extensive study on the fitness of pro athletes in various sports. I'll spare you the details, but the study involved strength, endurance, agility, and even down to VO max oxygen/breathing potential. The winner was a soccer player, but they were surprised that Brad Lacky the bygone MX champion was second. There was a lot of real research in this effort and not just a fluff piece.

Some have already mentioned off road, especially as in enduro competition. I've done both MX and enduro, but the TX state enduro circuit is where is spent many years. No doubt whatsoever that enduro competition ranks at least equal to MX. On the other hand, I've never seen an MX race where a mud hole went to the gas tank or a water crossing went over the bars...LOL! But no doubt...MX ain't for sissies.

Back