• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Dualsport! Beaumont, TX

Reaction score
Hey everyone, joined this forum to hopefully find some other riders to explore SE texas and other parts with. I live in Port Arthur, about 1.5 hrs east of Houston. I've only ridden SHNF and Kisatchie NF. Both are about 2 hrs from my place. Really looking for something closer. Also, anyone know about the Big Bend Rally? I've never done it but it looks awesome. Pics are of my 300L which is here in TX and my dr200 is in CA. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3749.jpg
    IMG_3749.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 77
Welcome!

Keep an eye on the “Upcoming Rides and Events” sub forum.

This ride next weekend, for instance…

Thread 'Invite to Overnight Dual Sport Ride'
https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/invite-to-overnight-dual-sport-ride.134573/

Big Bend, if you haven’t been, is like another world. Definitely worth the drive. Timing is a consideration, the area has gotten almost too popular for its own good.

Again, welcome!

Welcome nano, nice bike. Unfortunately for off road we don't really have anything close by, except the beach, but as noted there are tons of dirt back roads all around. If you have not been yet, kisatchie national forest (also about 2 hours) has some good riding as well.
Big Bend is amazing, and a little closer but also good is Arkansas. Moving into hunting season resist the temptation to venture into uncharted off road in this area- hunters are a little territorial!

Keep an eye out for discussions about the SE Texas 200. As the weather cools there will be a number of people wanting to make that loop (or some version of it). It bases out of Kountze, which is only about 30 minutes north of Beaumont.

Welcome to TWT!!!

Welcome… lots of great roads North of you and endless beach riding.

Welcome! Just a fair warning most of the California transplants I’ve met were pretty disappointed with riding in Texas (no lane splitting, bad traffic, twisties are few and far between, flat straight roads in the cities and burbs, no mountains, brutal heat with not much shade, much smaller motorcycle culture if you’re not on a Harley).

Some of them sold their bikes and got cars, others switched to dirt bikes but Texas off-roading is also very limited and expensive due to a lack of public land and the quality is nowhere near what California offers. I heard theres a park outside of Houston that’s decent but it’s too far from me so I’ve never been.

Good luck and be safe!

Welcome! Just a fair warning most of the California transplants I’ve met were pretty disappointed with riding in Texas (no lane splitting, bad traffic, twisties are few and far between, flat straight roads in the cities and burbs, no mountains, brutal heat with not much shade, much smaller motorcycle culture if you’re not on a Harley).

Some of them sold their bikes and got cars, others switched to dirt bikes but Texas off-roading is also very limited and expensive due to a lack of public land and the quality is nowhere near what California offers. I heard theres a park outside of Houston that’s decent but it’s too far from me so I’ve never been.

Good luck and be safe!

Welcome. If you're plated, street legal, and want to roll some east tx dirt and gravel roads sometime shoot me a msg. I'm north of you 45 mins just off Hwy 87.

Hey we are neighbors. I am in Beaumont. 22 KLR 650.
I'm planning to ride Wed morning next week. Approx 160 miles in Newton and Jasper Counties with 30-45 mi of hardtop and the rest gravel and dirt road. Easily done in a pickup so it would be great for a KLR with dual sport tires. Right now it's just me going. There's another old retired guy who currently is a firm maybe. Check my post in the day rides, SeTx 160 is in the title. A gpx file and map screenshot are embedded in the post. You're welcome for coffee before I leave and a cool beverage on return as I start and finish along the route in Buna. Msg me if you're interested in riding along. I'll send you the address, or we can meet at the Brookshire Bros in Buna as I start out.

Cheers
-Gpul

Last edited:
I'm planning to ride Wed morning next week. Approx 160 miles in Newton and Jasper Counties with 30-45 mi of hardtop and the rest gravel and dirt road. Easily done in a pickup so it would be great for a KLR with dual sport tires. Right now it's just me going. There's another old retired guy who currently is a firm maybe. Check my post in the day rides, SeTx 160 is in the title. A gpx file and map screenshot are embedded in the post. You're welcome for coffee before I leave and a cool beverage on return as I start and finish along the route in Buna. Msg me if you're interested in riding along. I'll send you the address, or we can meet at the Brookshire Bros in Buna as I start out.

Cheers
-Gpul
I’d go but gotta work. I think I’m the only one on this forum not retired. LOL

Back