• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New tires

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Finally got my new tires mounted! It's almost exactly 2 years since I put the Trail Missions on. Got 13,000 out of rear and 14,000 out of front. Put new rear on 3 weeks ago. Mounted the Shinko big blocks, doubt the rear lasts long. I'm thinking leave the big block front and mount the Dunlop TM on rear?? I would like to keep a semi aggressive front tire for the dirt. But keep a better wearing rear tire. Good/bad idea??

It’s a tough decision.. I am no help as I always seem to have the wrong tires on for what I am doing. 😂

It’s a tough decision.. I am no help as I always seem to have the wrong tires on for what I am doing. 😂
That is a problem! I rode in the heavy fog that was almost like rain Tuesday. Roads were wet, that 14,000 mile front tire had me scared to death, hence it came off, quick!

I've done exactly that sort of thing for most of my time on my Africa Twins. My previous go-to was a TKC80 front with a Motoz GPS rear. What you're proposing is similar enough.

I currently have a Motoz GPS set on the bike. They're good tires, but I really prefer a knobby front. I have a Motoz Dual Venture to try since the TKC80 was unobtainable. I also thought I'd try going one step more aggressive in the rear with a Motoz Adventure. Most reports I've seen it folks that have fun it and the GPS is that the GPS is only good for about 500 more miles. Works for me to get more straight line drive if true.

I know the whole "wrong tire for the job" thing is real. I had that last time I was riding off-road in October. I honestly ride 90% pavement, so you found argue I run more aggressive tires than I need. Thing is, I don't mind knobby tires on the street, but I find street oriented tires dangerous off-road. That makes it an easy choice for me. I get enough milage out of a front knobby that I probably will just stick with that. The rear is where I start to compromise to not melt them too quickly. The Motoz GPS works and the TMM would probably work too. I'm hoping the big block style Morris adventure will hold up, as I think that'll be where I want to compromise if it does.

Last edited:
Picking tires based on the worst stuff you'll ride is a good formula. On the 1150gsa I used to always run a TKC80 in the front and a Tourance or 705 in the rear just so the rear tire would last more than a few weeks. If I start riding the big girl again she'll get an 805 on the rear. I haven't tried them but I've heard the Mitas E-07 Dakar is a long lasting big bike tire fwiw. The E-07 is probably a little less aggressive than a TKC-80 or 805 from what I can tell.

For reference this Shinko has a little over two thousand miles on it. I've been pretty happy with the 804/805 combo for what I paid but I don't think I'd do the front tire again unless the price was close to free. For the front I think I'd go back to a TKC80 (I think it's more confidence inspiring in the twisties) or try the Mitas E-09 (for something that's supposed to be a little more aggressive offroad).

The rear tire is really pretty great in my opinion. It does try to side step in a side hill situation because of the block spacing but it works pretty well in sand and seems to bear wearing like iron.

20230110_224403_compress15.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't tried them but I've heard the Mitas E-07 Dakar is a long lasting big bike tire fwiw. The E-07 is probably a little less aggressive than a TKC-80 or 805 from what I can tell.

Currently running a set of Mitas E-07+ on my 1200GS. Mostly highway service so far, but I did play in some sand the other day and surprised me with how well they worked. Reports say these tires wear extremely well. I don't have but 300 miles on them, pretty good road manners.... and I can't barely tell any wear on the rear.

Currently running a set of Mitas E-07+ on my 1200GS. Mostly highway service so far, but I did play in some sand the other day and surprised me with how well they worked. Reports say these tires wear extremely well. I don't have but 300 miles on them, pretty good road manners.... and I can't barely tell any wear on the rear.

That's good to hear. Especially the sand performance. I can't really remember ever hearing of anyone who wasn't happy with a Mitas tire for its intended purpose.

That's good to hear. Especially the sand performance. I can't really remember ever hearing of anyone who wasn't happy with a Mitas tire for its intended purpose.
I went through a set of the E07’s Dakar version on my Africa Twin. Good tires and decent longevity. The rear was shot at 4k. Currently riding on MOTOZ RALLZ and loving them. Better traction off road than the E07’s and a little more noise and groove tracking on the highway. I have a little over 4k on them now, probably 60% highway, and still with a lot of tread left.

I went through a set of the E07’s Dakar version on my Africa Twin. Good tires and decent longevity. The rear was shot at 4k. Currently riding on MOTOZ RALLZ and loving them. Better traction off road than the E07’s and a little more noise and groove tracking on the highway. I have a little over 4k on them now, probably 60% highway, and still with a lot of tread left.

If the rear was shot at 4k miles, I have a sneaking suspicion it was a E-07+.

If the rear was shot at 4k miles, I have a sneaking suspicion it was a E-07+.
Not, they were the Dakar version with the yellow stripe. I tend to keep the traction control off because I’m old and grew up without it. Just checked the mileage on the MOTOZ RALLZ and they are at 4,600+.

Attachments

• 37D02D5C-91A1-492D-80CF-3B79D2AF740E.jpeg
    37D02D5C-91A1-492D-80CF-3B79D2AF740E.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 7B65CB8B-F041-4DD9-A2EE-3368771640B0.jpeg
    7B65CB8B-F041-4DD9-A2EE-3368771640B0.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 62
Not, they were the Dakar version with the yellow stripe. I tend to keep the traction control off because I’m old and grew up without it. Just checked the mileage on the MOTOZ RALLZ and they are at 4,600+.

The Dakar designation just means it has sturdier sidewalls. That's impressively short life for a standard E-07. 4600 and looking that good is awesome for a RallZ, too.

MOTOZ GPS : I think his spell check got the best of him.

Back