• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My H-D Pan America Nightmare

Reaction score
On January 21st I rode from Houston to Corinth, TX and traded my 2020 Tiger for a new 2022 Pan America. (It was the only one I could find without the electronic suspension). Over the past two weeks I put just over 2,000 miles on it. I had the break in service and suspension tuning done at Motorcycles Unlimited.

The bike is fantastic, I can't say enough good things about it. However, on Tuesday I noticed a strange sound during engine braking and took it to Republic HD to get it checked out.

It may need a new engine.

Attachments

• IMG_20230208_194654.jpg
    IMG_20230208_194654.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_20230208_194638.jpg
    IMG_20230208_194638.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_20230208_190316367_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230208_190316367_HDR.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20230208_185502981_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230208_185502981_HDR.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
That is a LOT of bike pieces. Holy moly!
your not lying - looks like they are even R&Ring the threads and heads on the bolts
This is gonna be a story about a bike that was in warranty jail for months - with the tech working on it diligently each day with parts in stock

eager to hear what the culprit was...

Yikes. That is not good.
What's the chatter? isolated incident or one of several/many?

FYI, check the HD buy back program.. I used it 2018, mine was at the original dealer... Full refund on the purchase towards another bike... If there's no good faith replacement on yours because of massive warr. problem...
Research it, nothing to lose...
Carry On😎

Went through same thing with my 2015 Corvette. Under 50 miles and threw the engine light. Next day they had the heads off, I was sick, my dream ride. Said it was fixed and before 250 miles again, tore it down and had to wait for GM engineer to check. They couldn't find anything. Just traded out of it for another one, problem solved. They put it back together and sent it to auction. They wanted nothing to do with it.

On January 21st I rode from Houston to Corinth, TX and traded my 2020 Tiger for a new 2022 Pan America. (It was the only one I could find without the electronic suspension). Over the past two weeks I put just over 2,000 miles on it. I had the break in service and suspension tuning done at Motorcycles Unlimited.

The bike is fantastic, I can't say enough good things about it. However, on Tuesday I noticed a strange sound during engine braking and took it to Republic HD to get it checked out.

You must be heart sick. I know I would be.

Rusty …. Sure hope they give you a new bike and stop the waiting game.
I'd say he'd be very lucky, short term anyway. Eventually they might give in. But here he is with a very expensive bike not able to ride. And hoping it's put back together right.

From what I have read there have been at least a few catastrophic engine failures that resulted in the whole engine being replaced. It took some time to get the bikes fixed as they were new enough that there weren't a lot of spare engines available to fix the bikes.

Last edited:
Sweet Jeebus, that bike has allot of pieces...... Hoping you get it fixed or replaced or something done soon.

Ask them how many of that engine type they have split the cases on. If HD wants to ship a new engine I may go for that. If you financed it I would get the lender involved and also possibly a lawyer. It will not hurt HD to ship you a new bike!!!! Your money back would be better IMO. I was considering the new 2023 500cc bike. If this isn't resolved in your favor I will never buy or recommend any Harley product. If someone does something good a person may tell a few people but if they rip you off most will tell thousands, social media etc.
They and many other companies need to be more like Discount Tire Co.

I got an update today. They are not sure what is causing the low/zero oil pressure and orders came down from HD corp to "split the case."

Maybe I should get into boating....?
Rusty,
Boating is expensive too. I've had blown engines over the years. Not a cheap fix. HD should make it right with you. Continue riding.

I was just looking at one of these in Waco Thursday. I read your post with great interest. The "However" turned my stomach and made my heart ache. I really hope they are able to get it fixed or get you taken care of to your satisfaction, period. Best of luck brother.

makes me sick and it's not my bike. Good Luck surely HD will make it right. I wonder if there are any simaler issues with the new sportster? Uses the same engine just detuned a bit.

Met a couple from Ontario. New HD. Rode to Mexico. Bike broke with 2500 miles in the middle of nowhere. Had to get new engine shipped in. Turned around and were in McAllen headed home JUST to sell it. Adventure 100% ruined.

Back