• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My H-D Pan America Nightmare

I remember back in the day when madisonville dodge dealer beat everyone else hands down on price , but they told you up front , don’t bring it back for warranty work , we didn’t do that .

Jeez, it's these bikes that Harley was trying to expand their future on past aging tattooed old men. With their lack of concern about problems as big as this shows just how clueless they are.

If you own their stock it's time to take the hit and pull the ripcord.

Jeez, it's these bikes that Harley was trying to expand their future on past aging tattooed old men. With their lack of concern about problems as big as this shows just how clueless they are.

If you own their stock it's time to take the hit and pull the ripcord.

The bikes are a huge leap in technology for them. Hopefully they will get it figured out before too long.

> Additionally, the dealer that was working on it will not work on it anymore.

Seriously? The dealer you bought it from? A legit HD dealer? That sounds clearly like legal action would be justified - along with never looking at another HD. I'd totally dumbfounded by this. I know there's some inherent risk to buying an innovative new bike that's sorta out of the comfort zone for a brand, but I've never heard of a dealer refusing to service a new/under warranty vehicle.

Ugh. That is frustrating.

I would have hoped H-D hq would be more helpful including finding a willing, qualified service center of your convenience...or inconvenience at this point. They're not painting themselves in a good light on the Pan Am so far. At least not this one.
@Rusty Shackelford your patience and grace is commendable. Others would be ranting and bumping the language filter long ago.

So wait, they followed all the correct steps to remove an engine and install a new engine and didn't follow the steps for correct oil? What other steps did they "Wing it" on?

Seriously? The dealer you bought it from? A legit HD dealer? That sounds clearly like legal action would be justified - along with never looking at another HD. I'd totally dumbfounded by this. I know there's some inherent risk to buying an innovative new bike that's sorta out of the comfort zone for a brand, but I've never heard of a dealer refusing to service a new/under warranty vehicle.
From 1st post-"On January 21st I rode from Houston to Corinth, TX" I don't think it came from Republic.

Ugh. That is frustrating.

I would have hoped H-D hq would be more helpful including finding a willing, qualified service center of your convenience...or inconvenience at this point. They're not painting themselves in a good light on the Pan Am so far. At least not this one.
@Rusty Shackelford your patience and grace is commendable. Others would be ranting and bumping the language filter long ago.
Well, seems they replaced the engine....possibly with another bad one.

The bikes are a huge leap in technology for them. Hopefully they will get it figured out before too long.
I get that and can understand it however their approach to fixing the unexpected issues is what's going to doom them. HD factory should be all over these issues and be hands on involved in the repair and analysis of the failures. By the time things are sorted out there will be no consumer confidence left.

Last edited:

I bought it from American Eagle HD in Corinth. I live in Houston 300 miles away. The new engine was installed by Republic HD in Houston. Republic's service department (Edgar) told me that they will not work on this particular vehicle anymore because it is not really their problem. Corp HD confirmed that I would have to take it somewhere else and suggested Stubb's or Mancuso based on my zip code. Mancuso Central's service Manager agreed to look at it and perform the inspection and software change after the Corp HD guy (Mike Johnson) called them directly. When I spoke with the Mancuso service dept. they told me they had one trained tech allowed to work on Pan America's only because HD requires it and that tech happens to be out on vacation. He was careful with his wording, but was clear that Mancuso did not want to deal with this either, but they were being pressured by HD corp.

Side note, JT and I visited a mc dealership in ole Mexico that dealt both KTMs and Harley Davidson. Service guy told us the PA‘s were selling like hotcakes. Neither here nor there but he didn’t mention any issues with the bikes, even tho clearly we were not a potential HD customer.

Pan American looks to be another poor execution by HD, with even worse support than you here about with major issues on their other models. There was a lot of marketing hubris for sure. They hide, they cover up and they lie. What a shame. They can park left over inventory next to the livewires. They have pretty much destroyed the motorcycling community's optimism and hope for a new start for HD.

"September 2021 Harley-Davidson announced that the Pan America had been a sales sensation. Since its release the previous February, the bike stormed the sales charts, they said, with the 1250 Special becoming the top-selling adventure touring machine in the States."

Did a search for grins on the PA, can this statement be remotely true? I hardly ever see one.

"September 2021 Harley-Davidson announced that the Pan America had been a sales sensation. Since its release the previous February, the bike stormed the sales charts, they said, with the 1250 Special becoming the top-selling adventure touring machine in the States."

Did a search for grins on the PA, can this statement be remotely true? I hardly ever see one.
I believe the sales number are correct. They just don't mention that many buyers are having issues and there are hundreds of them for sale with less than 5K miles because HD is unwilling to sort out issues and the dealers don't have staff that can work on them.

I call bs on wrong oil weight causing the engine to be under powered. I would do the lemon law or lawyer reason ! Is there anyone that would trust this bike for years to come. I couldn't. I can't believe they are treating you this way. Hey HD man up with some honor and take your junk back and refund the man's money with 10 k extra for all the stress you put him through.

• Warranty:
    As Is

That as is part sure is scary, only 4,000 miles?

EBC8A297-E76E-438D-A6DF-87D6D59E6BA6.jpeg

I can't imagine paying that kind of money and having the problems Rusty is having with no warranty.

I've got the same bike, 2,500 miles with no issues. Fingers crossed! Some off road, mostly on. Republic HD was a decent place back in the day. Couldn't deal with on this bike. Hope they treat you right.

Back