• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My H-D Pan America Nightmare

Then HD will kill off the PA saying that there wasn't enough interest in the sector and that they couldn't move the product.
Here is another the Live Wire has become the Dead Wire. Look at the huge money loss they took. Then you get these bikes that are history and stuck with them. I don't know if The Dead Pan America will go that route.

Here is another the Live Wire has become the Dead Wire. Look at the huge money loss they took. Then you get these bikes that are history and stuck with them. I don't know if The Dead Pan America will go that route.

$175,000 loss per Live Wire unit they produced. Laughable. 660 sold in 2023 Pathetic. Harley is gonna put itself outta business.

Kingwood, TX huge fancy Harley dealer on 59, just closed up shop. No telling how many millions they had sunk in that place.

And they are putting that engine in several more HD models, right? I think all the parts that failed for would go with that engine into other models!

I really wanted the Pan Am to be a market success for HD. Live wire? well, I don't really care about that one, but a new-tech ICE from HD in an ADV chassis that really looks competitive - would have been huge.

Side note...1st harley owner I met was in mcallen. Owner was returning to canada on 3rd motor to set it on fire at the dealership's front door.

2nd was in Terlingua. Famous tik tokker blew motor on TAT. Harley sent another. Harley found out he had 500,000 followers. Custom prepped a one off motor with 5 mechanics wrenching. Recalled 2nd motor and swapped in custom built motor instead. Nice save. Probably they knew the 2nd motor was gonna **** itself the way he rode.

Oddly, he was still fully in love with Harley.

$175,000 loss per Live Wire unit they produced. Laughable. 660 sold in 2023 Pathetic. Harley is gonna put itself outta business.

Kingwood, TX huge fancy Harley dealer on 59, just closed up shop. No telling how many millions they had sunk in that place.
Don't worry, they are making 1000% markup on t-shirts and jackets, and they sell TONS of those, even to those who don't ride at all.

Don't worry, they are making 1000% markup on t-shirts and jackets, and they sell TONS of those, even to those who don't ride at all.
Now, if HD would move into the house coat and support hose market, too ....
1709846414708.png

Rusty,

Totally unacceptable. Imagine buying a used one in 5 years knowing these issues pop up on brand new ones. Thanks, no thanks. I'd rather buy a used ktm (can't believe I said that).
I don’t know about a used KTM **** you might have better luck with the Pan America.

Update: The dealer ordered a fuel pump and a new key fob. I have a feeling that the issue with the security lockout is not the fob but rather the laggy, janky, buggy onboard computer. Parts expected to arrive at the end of this week so I could be back in the saddle by the weekend so the next thing can break or fall apart!!

Also, I heard they are making a CVO Pan America with just different paint and matching luggage. Who wants to spend $30K on an unreliable $18k bike with fancy red paint??? Is paint really worth $10k?

Oh yeah man, i need one, thats bad... i just like hanging out at the dealership with all the way too cool peoples. Do they provide room and board for the weeks of downtime forthcoming?

Update: The dealer ordered a fuel pump and a new key fob. I have a feeling that the issue with the security lockout is not the fob but rather the laggy, janky, buggy onboard computer. Parts expected to arrive at the end of this week so I could be back in the saddle by the weekend so the next thing can break or fall apart!!

Also, I heard they are making a CVO Pan America with just different paint and matching luggage. Who wants to spend $30K on an unreliable $18k bike with fancy red paint??? Is paint really worth $10k?

I just compared the two PanAm's and the new CVO is also 100lbs heavier. That paint must be THICCCK! :lol2:

All I read was:

"Bike for sale, like new condition, dealer serviced."

All I read was:

"Bike for sale, like new condition, dealer serviced."
May change "like new condition" to "low milage, garage kept". Should sell at a reasonable price of you can't lemon law it.
that's cold. LOL
But true, especially with the above alteration. I'd just want to be rid of it, personally.

Finally!! Some good news, got the Pan America back last week and finally had some time to ride today! The key fob is working and there is no loud scraping noise from the fuel pump.

Unfortunately, it threw several warnings/codes and stalled out while shifting on the highway and the feeder road once again almost getting me killed in traffic. Stupid me thinking that the fuel pump noise and the stalling out issues were related.

Back to the dealer service bay...

P.S. I am out at Wild West Moto Plex with a 2:30 apt. to ride a 1300 GS!! I'll take the Pan America back to Mancuso after my test ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20240323_130934869.jpg
    IMG_20240323_130934869.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Yeah they have been known to catch fire or get shot in the ECU in a random drive,-by.

So glad you are not trading it in on a new livewire :-). If the Bible did not clearly state we'd recognize the second coming, id be betting on Jesus probably sneaking down and riding an r 1300 gs for grins.

So glad you are not trading it in on a new livewire :-). If the Bible did not clearly state we'd recognize the second coming, id be betting on Jesus probably sneaking down and riding an r 1300 gs for grins.
It's very possible

Hebrews 13:1-3 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. 3 Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

I saw 5 different Pan Am's on the roads round Alpine in the last several days. 2 really well farkled ones looked to be aimed at Big Bend, one in 'downtown' Alpine also headed to the park I think, and two on I-10 heading west. A friend said HD was knocking $5k or more off MSRP on these.. Really hope your experience is the exception instead of the rule...

I saw 5 different Pan Am's on the roads round Alpine in the last several days. 2 really well farkled ones looked to be aimed at Big Bend, one in 'downtown' Alpine also headed to the park I think, and two on I-10 heading west. A friend said HD was knocking $5k or more off MSRP on these.. Really hope your experience is the exception instead of the rule...
I'm on many various ADV groups on FB and see new Pan Am riders boasting about their purchase, as well as encountering them in the wild. This thread is the first thing I think of.

Back