• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #208 - Oh, The Places We'll Go (Assignment)

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
UPDATE: timeframe extended

This one is aiming at crowd participation - literally everyone in TWT is qualified to accept this assignment: Places your bike has taken you.

Motorcycles provide us many different things, but primarily, these are transportation devices. Where has your bike taken you? It's December and only a few weeks notice - so the travel might not be far, or exotic. But nearly all our motorcycle rides aren't "epic" - but still add up and bring us places that a car just can't get you to.

Assignment:
Take a ride, then take a photo. That's it. This assignment is broad, so I'll provide some notes on how I plan to score this.

Requirements:
1. Ride your bike somewhere
2. Take a photo
3. Post it here
4. All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post
5. Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between Nov 28, 2022 and midnight/2400, Sun Jan 22, 2023

Yes, those are the only hard requirements. But, bonus points for:

1. NOT editing your photo - direct from camera
2. USING a phone - not a "real" camera
3. Including the bike in the photo (not a requirement)
4. Large distances travelled (physical or otherwise)
5. A brief, phrase or sentence explanation of the travel or place
6. An unexpected place or journey - where can a bike take you?

Post questions, inspiration or whatever else you want in this thread.

The ENTRY thread is here. Only ONE entry per member. Contrary to previous assignments - you may add one phrase or sentence to your photo submission. A title, or explanation of the "place" or back-story of the trip to get to the place.

This assignment might sound a little vague, so I'll start the brainstoming with some photos that would qualify, but might not win:

PXL_20211230_213922893.jpg

The McDonald Observatory is in the photo - sign and dome. There's a bike in it. It was a place that bike took me. OK, it qualifies, but it's not a great photo, and doesn't really speak of "Place" very strongly. Unedited (bonus) and from a cell phone (bonus). Acceptable, but can we do better?

PC_20181113_165519.jpg

Batopilas with Amigos.

The journey was something special, the photo was in a courtyard in a lovely little hotel. The photo might be nothing special, but the journey was one that has stayed with me. This photo was one of only a dozen or so that I could take on this trip - I brought only my cell phone, and the camera died early on, so this is the 'selfie' camera on the front of the phone.

ec474ee2-e442-4ff4-9d97-aa853889c3fd555165499199338622_PerfectlyClear.jpg

Starlight Theatre, 'Round the Bend.

Terlinga is a special place, and Round the Bend is a special trip for anyone that takes it. Guys BS's in the parking lot. A truck with a canoe on the roof in the middle of the desert. Ocotillo is bloom. Shot with a cell phone, but edited.

P5207743.jpg

Pikes Peak in May.

This was quite a travel for me. A little over a week on the road, and then this day was rain, sun, snow, sun, hail, then sun again. Pikes Peak sign is a good addition, and the gloom and cold contrast with the joy of riding to the top of a mountain in the snow.

PC_20150603_091111_PerfectlyClearcrop.jpg

Ken's Hot Dogs, on a motorcycle 1 year older than I am.

A ride to Ken's was a real treat. It was less than a mile from my house, and I only did it a few times on this little two-smoker, but those trips were meaningful to me. I'm still friends with several guys I met through those lunches, and killing a sunny afternoon, discussing bikes and work and heath and family and life... well, that's a trip.

OK, that's hopefully some ideas I have in mind. Yes, travel is December will be limited, but the weather looks OK this weekend. Where will your bike take you?

Last edited:
Will a bicycle ride qualify? We've got a few of motorcycle-less riders here...

Will a bicycle ride qualify? We've got a few of motorcycle-less riders here...
Sure, if a bicycle can take you places, then we can include them. Trikes also, I guess. But, I'll admit I'm biased towards motorcycles...

So, this hasn't been terribly popular so far... I did a little ride in and out of the rain today. Stopped to warm up and dry off, and took a shot.

PerfectlyClear_20221210_184538~2.jpeg

Perhaps all the photos in the 'day rides' thread should count as entries here?

Case in point, these would all be contenders:

Took Bob out for the scrap book photo at the Iwo Jima Monument in Harligen😏 ...
315665-c524f42636c8f44710bc132e0e67f36e.jpg

A few seniors and 1 young guy rode perfect conditions out of 208 on string and balloon Wednesday. Even met a 890 and African Twin on the trail. @shooter_t1 was that you we met?
7ce64607-b1ee-4d62-9d84-36f6bb9bee73-jpeg.jpg

Total trip mileage was just under 200 miles when I got back home.

texas-zoo-1-jpg.jpg

I saw the preference towards motorbikes so I just bailed on this one....

As for a lack of entries, anybody have any good excuses as to why no submissions? I was a bit surprised by the lack of interest. Maybe the shutter-bugs went somewhere else....

Yeah, that's a bummer. Bunch of good, qualifying photos posted around TWT in the assignment period, but just no actual submissions.

Yeah, that's a bummer. Bunch of good, qualifying photos posted around TWT in the assignment period, but just no actual submissions.
They may be unaware of this thread. The one time I won, it was surprisingly fun to pick the next assignment and it’s winner

I saw the preference towards motorbikes so I just bailed on this one....

As for a lack of entries, anybody have any good excuses as to why no submissions? I was a bit surprised by the lack of interest. Maybe the shutter-bugs went somewhere else....
I did 4 wheel travel, then holidays, then Covid. Blah, didn't happen.

I didn’t get on the bike until today, but did get a pic. If it gets extended, I’m in.

Back