• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #209 - Craftsmanship ENTRY Due Feb 28, 2023

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Please post your entry for #209 - Craftsmanship here:

Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between February 1st, 2023 and February 28th, 2023

Closing Date: 02/28/2023 @ Midnight

Only post a photo with no description or comment.

All other comments will be deleted without warning until then.

SSS_4874.jpg

Nothing fancy here, just playing with some old lawn mower blades, my welder and metal lathe.

7E6DDCE6-53F4-42FB-B396-7317A58D2563.jpeg

Folks, give me a few days to judge this one. I’m working 12+ hours days for the moment. Sorry about this.

Sorry for the delay everyone.

I would love to critique all the photos but we had a rule for the deadline for the submission and Scott did adhere to that so I will not be critiquing the photos submitted after the deadline. Had everyone been late, then it would have been a different story but it is unfair to the people that made it in time.

M38A1, I am a true sucker for black and white especially how you pulled it off with the coins/rings. Nothing is lost by ditching the color on this photo and I'm actually really glad you went B&W for it. I also think the higher contrast in the photo really helps set off the details. The shallow depth of field is used really well within the framing of the shot. My one small nitpick, and it is a tiny one at that, would be I would have either loved to read the date of the coin on the lower right. I know it is 1900's and I think that it was in the 40's but I'm not quite sure. That would have been a nice touch to have that in there so we all know that we are looking at 80 year old coins. But other than that, your depth of field is perfect as it highlights we are looking at a silver dollar, and I see just enough of the United States of America to know what it is and I can let my mind fill it in around the rest of the ring. Awesome job!

With that, M38A1 is our winner for this month! Congrats!

Thx.
The main ring is a 1921 Morgan Silver dollar I turned into a ring. Been doing these for several years now. For this one I chose to retain the 1921 date on the inside as there's so very little wear inside vs the outside due to the 90% silver content. If you want, I can snag a picture of the inside. The other coins were a mix of 1880-1945 or so and consisted of Morgans and Franklin halves. There's also a 99% silver "Don't Tread On Me" silver round ring to the left of the Morgan.

I made the Morgan from a 1921 late in 2021 to use a 100 year old coin on purpose for this. I'm thinking I'll make a Franklin next as my every day ring to wear as they just fit my finger better. Been wearing a 90% silver quarter for about a year now and really like it too. I also find the 99% pure silver 1oz rounds to have nice patterns for rings, but like the Morgans just don't fit my finger well.

The B&W was the only choice with such a bland subject. I could have made the background all sorts of things, but in the the end the ring is the focus of the image. Regarding that shallow DOF, it's almost too shallow if you look really close. Dead center on the ring facing you is just slightly blurred and the right/left of center is in focus. What I really like about this kind of shot is you can see how razor thin that DOF really is. Just look to the right of the Morgan to the top surface of the Franklin to put DOF in perspective.

My nits included the focus point blur as mentioned above in addition to what appears to be a little "V" of fuzz on top of the "O" in One on the cut side of the ring. (the other side is called the reeded edge)

I thought Gary's shot was kind of cool and would have liked to have seen the face reflection in the glass to make it even cooler. Tom's maul is also just way cool from a fabrication standpoint.

Thanks for the nod. I'll have something up tomorrow.

Back