• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #211 - Motorcycle Texture in Black and White ENTRY (Due 04/30/2023 by MIDNIGHT)

Gravel Guy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Drumm
Please place your entries in this thread for Motorcycle Texture in Black and White

Closing Date: 04/30/2023 Midnight

Please do not comment in this thread until a winner has been selected, and post only your picture and one picture only. You can edit/replace that image until the closing date/time. Lobbying for one's image in not necessary.

Comments will be deleted without warning until a winner has been selected.

Last edited:
IMG_20181227_104201753.jpg

Folks, this is the first photo contest Iā€™ve ever won, and Iā€™m really a rookie picture taker thatā€™s trying to get better.
I liked all the pictures submitted, and thank everyone for taking the time and effort. In the end, I flipped a nickel between Curtisā€™s headlight shot which to me was very abstract clean and exacting, and Billā€™s caliper which looks like it has been through an acid bath and is slowly melting! šŸ˜‚
If yā€™all have the time, tell the story of your photo!? Love to know where the snowy first picture was taken, what model cylinder head that is, the story behind the big Harley cruiser, did the front flat on the beemer cause an accident? Curtis, is that a K1300 headlight closeup?
Where did Bill travel to find such scruff, and does that rotor even move through the caliper? I wonder if the scratchy fender would tell a story of a hand or wrist injury in the last photo.

Anywho, Bill wins! šŸŽ‰

I had just washed the bike and remembered this silly :-P lil contest but the macro-B/W idea was appealing.
Samsung S5 set to grayscale, I'm too lazy for editing. Ha!

Curtis, is that a K1300 headlight closeup?
Sƭ seƱor

I flipped a nickel between Curtisā€™s headlight shot which to me was very abstract clean and exacting
LoL . . rest assured the dumb luck was strong :D

This was a great assignment - well done to @Gravel Guy for finding a topic that would generate interest in these assignments again!

My submission was of my brother's very photogenic R100GS PD, the same one I used in a previous assignment. This bike isn't all that fun to ride, but sure is attractive for what it is. When Gravel Guy said "texture", I thought immediately about sand-cast cooling fins. I tried this also on the XR650L but couldn't get the light and texture to pop as much.

> Headlight!
I didn't know what that was until just now!

Headlight - had the same one on my K1200GT so recognized it. I also liked that shot.

I really had no time as I saw this contest with only a couple of days left and having to work 10 hour days. Took my camera to work. That is one of the patrol bikes, unfortunately I don't know the story behind the flat.

Wish I had more time, enjoy B&W photography.

Where did Bill travel to find such scruff, and does that rotor even move through the caliper?

Anywho, Bill wins! šŸŽ‰
Thanks Mark! Honestly I thought mine was 2nd or 3rd on this round but I was down to the last day so I had to come up with something.

That photo was as I was sitting next to the dirt bike resting up between rides yesterday. I was really hoping to not have to wash the bike, but I was following a random guy down a trail that I was pretty sure there was a decent sized mud hole that I had seen a few weeks back but he was going at a speed like he knew the trail so I was thinking maybe it had dried up and he knew this. He didn't.... LOL So through it we went, and it got EVERYWHERE!

Funny enough, that brake is still working just fine, even with all that gunk on it. The solid rotor really helps in the mud as the lack of holes seem to keep the pads cleaner. And since it is the rear brake, heat is far less an issue.

Is that a chunk out of the disc or is it made that way with other areas around the perimeter?
It is made that way. I think it is to promote even pad wear as the further out from center you go, the more surface area there is as the disc rotates. I don't recall which model it is, but it is similar to this little guy.

This was a fun one - I always enjoy an excuse to do some B&W. Congrats, Bill! I was also a fan of Curtis' headlight shot and Jeff's fins (the photo, not sure whether Jeff has actual fins).

ā€¦. I just want to know how Rachel broke her arm.
Yes, the fender scratches correspond with my new(ish) "nondisplaced intra-auricular fracture of my distal left radius".

So there I was, practicing my double back flips when a grizzly bear came running out of the woods

... kidding of course. I was out at Twin Hills taking an enduro 101 course. The instructor worked us through some great balance and control drills all morning and after lunch we moved on to learning how to lighten the front end to help get over small obstacles. Little branch was a-ok, though I was struggling to hit my timing. The class moved on to a larger obstacle (large telephone pole) and after making it over clumsily a few times I missed my bounce timing, grabbed too much throttle, panicked, and bailed. I launched my bike off the telephone pole and reached out with my hand to break (ha) my fall, exactly like one should never do šŸ„“. Tried to keep riding but couldn't really work the clutch after that. Annnd here we are! I do feel simultaneously very dumb and very fortunate that I didn't do more damage to myself or my poor bike. Can't wait til I have two functioning hands again, I need to figure that obstacle situation out!

This was a fun one - I always enjoy an excuse to do some B&W. Congrats, Bill! I was also a fan of Curtis' headlight shot and Jeff's fins (the photo, not sure whether Jeff has actual fins).

Yes, the fender scratches correspond with my new(ish) "nondisplaced intra-auricular fracture of my distal left radius".

So there I was, practicing my double back flips when a grizzly bear came running out of the woods

... kidding of course. I was out at Twin Hills taking an enduro 101 course. The instructor worked us through some great balance and control drills all morning and after lunch we moved on to learning how to lighten the front end to help get over small obstacles. Little branch was a-ok, though I was struggling to hit my timing. The class moved on to a larger obstacle (large telephone pole) and after making it over clumsily a few times I missed my bounce timing, grabbed too much throttle, panicked, and bailed. I launched my bike off the telephone pole and reached out with my hand to break (ha) my fall, exactly like one should never do šŸ„“. Tried to keep riding but couldn't really work the clutch after that. Annnd here we are! I do feel simultaneously very dumb and very fortunate that I didn't do more damage to myself or my poor bike. Can't wait til I have two functioning hands again, I need to figure that obstacle situation out!
Healing prayers, Rachel. I think the normal human response is to put your arm(s) out. Ouch......

I retired (1st time) in 2020.
Selling my motorcycles seemed like a good idea because I'm an old man now and the proceeds from the sale would retire two car payments. A very practical move.

A whole lifetime collection of gear was also jettisoned through eBay. Leather that I'd used for decades bringing a premium price marketed as "vintage and distressed". My 1978 Harley rain gear brought almost 700 bucks.

Yes, all of it was 800 pound gorilla gear. Not a single piece of textile. No velcro, all zippers and snaps. Vanson, Schott's, Langlitz, Bates. Silk scarfs and glove liners. How about a Milwaukee police department lap blanket? All of it gone.

Helmets? Full face with pin lock face shields. Everything from Bell to Shoei. No chamber pot novelty lids for me. All of it gone.

The two car payments are cleared and I settle into a very comfortable retirement.

My oldest son couldn't believe what I had done. See, he is 42 years old, still 10 foot tall and bullet proof. He was profoundly shocked, telling me over and over that he had never seen me without a motorcycle. EVER.

At that point I didn't understand just how upset he was with this news. It ate at him for a day or two.
He called to ask if I planned to buy another? It dawned on me that he was really struggling with my mortality.....pop's was old now.

No son, all the gear is gone. I kept my Schott 141 but only until the next visit, then it will be your's.
SILENCE.

The next morning I was awakened just before dawn. My son was on his was way to Kerrville with his beloved Heritage Springer loaded on his trailer. He was coming around the Austin loop so I better be up.

Yeah, he gave me this Harley.
So, I'll never be without a motorcycle again.
Only then did I realize what a terrible mistake I had made. Selling out was one of the dumbest things that I had ever done.....or was it?

20230106_075400.jpg

Back