• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #215 - Portraits of one subject (ENTRY) - Due midnight, Sept. 4, 2023

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Please place your entries in this thread for "Solo Subject Portraits"

Closing Date: 09/04/2023 Midnight

Please do not comment in this thread until a winner has been selected, and post only your picture and one picture only. You can edit/replace that image until the closing date/time. Lobbying for one's image in not necessary. Comments will be deleted without warning until a winner has been selected.

View attachment 357603

JEDrumm-8092631.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the submissions. I'll give them a close look tonight, do a write up and post a winner then.

Jennifer: Nice job getting a hummingbird at rest. So often they are tucked in somewhere when they perch. Good lighting and it is looking at you too.

Gravel Guy: A chile? World's smallest eggplant? Not sure what it is, but nice composition with the burlap background

Ingramite: I notice you removed your image, but loved the sort of surprised look on the deer.

M38A1: Who has a kitchen that clean? :rofl:Nice job with composition and creativity.

Tracker: Nice job with lighting. I'm amazed you got your glasses without reflections.

I'm going to go with Tracker. Made the most of a tough location and situation.

Thanks. Not sure how I pulled off the reflection thing, much less a selfie version. :mrgreen:

Congrats Gary.... And Jennifer - the detail/colors/sharpness in that shot were off-the-charts.

Re: my shot, the setup was pretty straight forward but a bit more complicated than I initially thought it would be. Like - 'how do you see the image you just captured and how do you change settings"? So..... the camera was placed in the corner of the oven supported by a dishtowel to get the angle right. I tethered the camera to the laptop through Lightroom which also allowed me remote trigger capability if I so chose, in addition to the ability to change camera settings from the laptop. FF camera with a crop lens (10-20mm). I also had a CactusIV trigger on the hotshoe talking to one speedlight on the oven floor with a couple cuts of CT gel to warm it up to match the existing oven bulb. The flash was in Manual mode so flash adjustments (SB700 @ 1/64) were made by removing and resetting since the control trigger was back in the corner of the oven. Also on the hotshoe (above the trigger) was yet another hand-held remote trigger release. Finally, there was a small LED light on the same grate level as the pan.
IMG_2296.JPG

A few test shots were garnered to get the framing (focal length 10mm) correct to encompass the entire interior of the oven along with exposure (ISO640, 1/90, f/8, plus LED plus speedlight). Then the shooting began capturing about 20-30 images to get enough to call it done and cull/post-process.
IMG_2294.JPG

Congrats Gary.... And Jennifer - the detail/colors/sharpness in that shot were off-the-charts.

Re: my shot, the setup was pretty straight forward but a bit more complicated than I initially thought it would be. Like - 'how do you see the image you just captured and how do you change settings"? So..... the camera was placed in the corner of the oven supported by a dishtowel to get the angle right. I tethered the camera to the laptop through Lightroom which also allowed me remote trigger capability if I so chose, in addition to the ability to change camera settings from the laptop. FF camera with a crop lens (10-20mm). I also had a CactusIV trigger on the hotshoe talking to one speedlight on the oven floor with a couple cuts of CT gel to warm it up to match the existing oven bulb. The flash was in Manual mode so flash adjustments (SB700 @ 1/64) were made by removing and resetting since the control trigger was back in the corner of the oven. Also on the hotshoe (above the trigger) was yet another hand-held remote trigger release. Finally, there was a small LED light on the same grate level as the pan.
View attachment 360390

A few test shots were garnered to get the framing (focal length 10mm) correct to encompass the entire interior of the oven along with exposure (ISO640, 1/90, f/8, plus LED plus speedlight). Then the shooting began capturing about 20-30 images to get enough to call it done and cull/post-process.
View attachment 360389
Scott, thank you for sharing your set up. The final image is outstanding and such a unique perspective! The look on her face is perfect, expectation of delicious bread hot from the oven.

Back