• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Picked up a new bike this weekend

Hey Collin - what's your impression of the Tuareg & full exhaust after putting some miles on this? Is the heat noticeably better? Anything to report after a year of ownership? (this is on my short-list of next bikes)

Hey Jeff,

I’ll know more in a month, I am heading to Big Bend in March and doing all of the rides on it. The heat while still there isn’t a deal breaker, just something I’ve gotten used to. I love the power and nimbleness of the bike and it has done well on some basic dirt roads. I am curious how it will do in big bend. It sure does shine as a street and touring bike, which is what’s surprising me the most. Great wind protection for me right now.

That being said I’ve thrown a lot of money at it, suspension header, all of the crash bars and luaggage and I just went all Ohlins front cartridges and rear suspension.

I just had the suspension done so not sure how it will feel in Big Bend.

Collin

Hey Jeff,

I’ll know more in a month, I am heading to Big Bend in March and doing all of the rides on it. The heat while still there isn’t a deal breaker, just something I’ve gotten used to. I love the power and nimbleness of the bike and it has done well on some basic dirt roads. I am curious how it will do in big bend. It sure does shine as a street and touring bike, which is what’s surprising me the most. Great wind protection for me right now.

That being said I’ve thrown a lot of money at it, suspension header, all of the crash bars and luaggage and I just went all Ohlins front cartridges and rear suspension.

I just had the suspension done so not sure how it will feel in Big Bend.

Collin
Curious as to your assessment of the stock suspension and why you wanted to upgrade. Did you feel it was really lacking or do you normally upgrade all of your bikes?

Also - can you show more pics of the new exhaust system? Thx.

I had the stock suspension setup for me by 812 Suspension here in Round Rock and it still felt harsh on hard hits. There is a whole thread dedicated to it on Advrider and the general consensus is the front fork cartridges were built incorrectly and crushed shims are not allowing correct oil flow and makes for hard hits. I've never bought my own aftermarket suspension before and I didnt feel like chasing down the problem. My CRF250 had an Ohlins rear and I loved it, so decided to move forward with Ohlins.

The other thing is I traded in an R1250Gs for the bike and it covered the bike plus the exhaust and even after throwing money at the Tuareg I am still way way way under GS money.

The bike is great. You can try it out some time if you want Doyle.

Ohlins forks springs for 190-205 and rear shock for same weight installed. AF1 did some basic settings, but on a ride yesterday very harsh. Not like the stock ones, but something needs some tweaking. Will be dialed in this week.

After having 812 Suspension look over my setup, we noticed the pinch bolts and others were over torqued on the front forks not letting them move much. All better now!

Yeah - I heard that this happens on the Tuareg's with a little more frequency that with other bikes - something about how the front axle threads in or something? Anyway, great to hear of the cheap solution!

I purchased a 2022 Tuareg 660 around Christmas. I had a F800GS before, and I am glad I made the change, I really like the bike.

Back