• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

recognize these?

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
From Facebook post It's like the rocks never wear out, lol!.
97A88C71-A65E-4ACD-911E-92FCFD53E92E_4_5005_c.jpeg
92890E3A-3B89-46E0-8845-26CBEC16B89C_4_5005_c.jpeg

We'd been up the mountain riding the lou and nate creek trails east of ridgeway. Came down late in the day physically worn out with that tingly afterglow that only awesome singletrack can provide. Stopped at the store in ridgeway for gas and it started raining. We had to get back to Silverton and looking south toward ouray it was dark and ugly. Sat there hoping this was just a normal afternoon mountain shower...it wasn't. Rain got heavier the longer we waited and daylight was becoming an issue. Full on knobs on pavement throwing up water and cold rain smacking my nose and cheeks. We made it down through ouray but had no time to stop. About when we'd made it to the spot on 550 where that picture was taken it was pouring. Water was rivering down the mountain and across the road into the canyon. Seeing to ride was wicked. If I held my helmet peak down to avoid the rain I couldn't see past the front tire. If I glanced up my face got plastered with rain/sleet. And then there was that pavement edge dropping straight down several thousand feet. Big rv's coming from ahead were swinging out way wide on curves to avoid rocks and debris washing down the mountain and out onto the road. If you've ridden this stretch you know how seeing oncoming vehicles doesn't happen until you meet them in a curve. We were not having fun. I'd pretty much lost feeling in my hands and was jackhammer shivering. Cold water was running down the seat into places that don't do well with cold water. The worst stretch was just south of the tunnel where the curves are blind and the road is just wide enough for two vehicles to pass. Climbing up the pass was cruel. If you've ever ridden those mountains you've felt how much the temperature drops with altitude. Add in the storm's cold rain and you can feel a shiver just thinking about it. My biggest hope was that my tires didn't slip out from under me going around an outside curve. Thunder has a really unusual presence up there. It echoes through the canyons and bounces back and forth from surrounding mountain sides. One clap can last for a while as it comes from so many directions. It's like surround sound with a menacing attitude. Folks used to say that sometimes great adventure isn't really all that great while it's actually happening...this one qualified.

We'd been up the mountain riding the lou and nate creek trails east of ridgeway. Came down late in the day physically worn out with that tingly afterglow that only awesome singletrack can provide. Stopped at the store in ridgeway for gas and it started raining. We had to get back to Silverton and looking south toward ouray it was dark and ugly. Sat there hoping this was just a normal afternoon mountain shower...it wasn't. Rain got heavier the longer we waited and daylight was becoming an issue. Full on knobs on pavement throwing up water and cold rain smacking my nose and cheeks. We made it down through ouray but had no time to stop. About when we'd made it to the spot on 550 where that picture was taken it was pouring. Water was rivering down the mountain and across the road into the canyon. Seeing to ride was wicked. If I held my helmet peak down to avoid the rain I couldn't see past the front tire. If I glanced up my face got plastered with rain/sleet. And then there was that pavement edge dropping straight down several thousand feet. Big rv's coming from ahead were swinging out way wide on curves to avoid rocks and debris washing down the mountain and out onto the road. If you've ridden this stretch you know how seeing oncoming vehicles doesn't happen until you meet them in a curve. We were not having fun. I'd pretty much lost feeling in my hands and was jackhammer shivering. Cold water was running down the seat into places that don't do well with cold water. The worst stretch was just south of the tunnel where the curves are blind and the road is just wide enough for two vehicles to pass. Climbing up the pass was cruel. If you've ever ridden those mountains you've felt how much the temperature drops with altitude. Add in the storm's cold rain and you can feel a shiver just thinking about it. My biggest hope was that my tires didn't slip out from under me going around an outside curve. Thunder has a really unusual presence up there. It echoes through the canyons and bounces back and forth from surrounding mountain sides. One clap can last for a while as it comes from so many directions. It's like surround sound with a menacing attitude. Folks used to say that sometimes great adventure isn't really all that great while it's actually happening...this one qualified.

Roger and I call it retroactive fun ;-)

He and I were on that road when it was 28 F and there was icy slush on the road. Waterfalls on the other side of the canyon were frozen to the canyon wall. On the plus side, it wasn't raining! :thumb:

HardyBaker and I rode up in the Davis mtns one day from Terlingua , it had snowed a day or two earlier , we were having a blast , no traffic till we got around on the north side in the shade and got into a snow rut about a foot deep it was a long way till we got to a place we could get turned around and get out of there .

Roger and I call it retroactive fun ;-)

He and I were on that road when it was 28 F and there was icy slush on the road. Waterfalls on the other side of the canyon were frozen to the canyon wall. On the plus side, it wasn't raining! :thumb:
:eek2::nono:

HardyBaker and I rode up in the Davis mtns one day from Terlingua , it had snowed a day or two earlier , we were having a blast , no traffic till we got around on the north side in the shade and got into a snow rut about a foot deep it was a long way till we got to a place we could get turned around and get out of there .
I always wondered why folks on dirtbikes didn't just raise the front and plow on through a snow patch. Then I tried it one day on the ridge above Carson city ghost town near lake city....a very thorough personal education followed. :tears:

Actually, I believe that was you and I. :D

A8E2F83D-81FD-4B0E-964E-A974E89A8CD2.jpeg

Maybe it was , I vaguely remember being on the KTM but Hardy had already left the country by the time I bought it . I’m getting my rides mixed up . Hardy and I were riding it one time when we both faded the brakes on our bikes a sure indication that its time to slow down a bit . Too many rides , not enough tall tales . That was a fun day except we couldn’t get anything to eat .

Yeah, I remember that sucky sammich we got at that joint in town. They had run out of buns and gave me mine on white bread that turned into a white gooey paste from all the grease. Still charged me full price for that slop.

I've pulled a trailer over that road many times, including in a rainstorm and light snow - events that triggered my pucker muscles.

1/1/21 on the way out of Terlingua to Alpine.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 57
1/1/21 on the way out of Terlingua to Alpine.
That is not my idea of fun!
I've ridden a couple of times in ice and snow on touring bikes in the mountains, got caught out by weather we couldn't see coming.
I would rather not do that again....ever!!!

That is not my idea of fun!
I've ridden a couple of times in ice and snow on touring bikes in the mountains, got caught out by weather we couldn't see coming.
I would rather not do that again....ever!!!
I hear you, we rode thru sun, rain, snow and hail in a too early in the season ride thru Rocky Mountain National park.

Back