• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding in National Forest

Reaction score
Did I understood correctly and the only park where I can ride a bike which is NOT street legal is the Sam Houston National Forest? I was hoping to go ride the Caddo-LBJ National Grasslands tomorrow but am not sure I can.

Thanks for any advice.

Mati

SHNF is currently the only National Forest in Texas that you can ride a non-plated bike in, but only on designated trails. There are other non-federally owned (private/city/state) parks you can ride in though. Red River is a popular one near(ish) you (assuming you are new to the area).

Last edited:
Did I understood correctly and the only park where I can ride a bike which is NOT street legal is the Sam Houston National Forest? I was hoping to go ride the Caddo-LBJ National Grasslands tomorrow but am not sure I can.

Thanks for any advice.

Mati

Where in the LBJ Grasslands can you ride? Or do you just mean the semi-dirt roads out by greenwood?
b8ns44.jpg

The only trail currently open in all the National Forests and National Grasslands in Texas is the trail system in the Sam Houston National Forest north of Houston.

There are no other "legal" trails anywhere in the NF & NG anywhere in Texas.

We at TMTC are working to open trails in the Angelina NF, but the roadblocks are tall. We will need your support in the future.

The only trail currently open in all the National Forests and National Grasslands in Texas is the trail system in the Sam Houston National Forest north of Houston.

There are no other "legal" trails anywhere in the NF & NG anywhere in Texas.

We at TMTC are working to open trails in the Angelina NF, but the roadblocks are tall. We will need your support in the future.

Apparently this has changed. See this post....Sorry this is a state park not NF

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37711

:zen::sun::zen::rider::rider:

Last edited:
Apparently this has changed. See this post....Sorry this is a state park not NF

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37711

:zen::sun::zen::rider::rider:

As you note this is a state park and not a National Forest.

The shift in the state park has been only made recently and only applies to street legal motorcycles.

I can assure you that the folks in the state park are looking for tracks where we get off the road and "explore".

Don't anyone be a squid and screw it up for the rest of us.

Regarding the origional title of this thread, as of now the SHNF is still the only legal trail in the NF.

We have hand a couple of meetings regarding the trail system in the Angelina and we have another scheduled in a couple of weeks.

Discussions are on going.

Where can I get specific information on where to ride, park rules & cost, etc. at Sam Houston?

Here's some map-scouting I've been doing that might help some folks out.

Sam Houston Natl. Forrest:
SHNFLargeSize.jpg

East-side Trails:
EASTMulti-UseTrails.jpg

West-side Trails:
WESTMulti-UseTrails.jpg

This is just West of I45 and FM1375.

Anybody have inside knowledge whether SHNF multi-use trails are planned to be open this weekend? I remember somebody having a Ranger friend that gets advance info.
Just checked and all trails still closed, another two full days of sunshine forecasted this week so I'm optimistic for the weekend.

_

call 1-888-361-6908 ext 2

call 1-888-361-6908 ext 2

Yes I already did before I posted and all trails still closed. I am trying to plan ahead for this weekend so wanted a heads up. After heavy rains like we recently got how many days does it usually take before they open the trails again?

_

Just be aware this weekend is the opening weekend for rifle deer season. The woods will be crawling with hunters.

Back