• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thoughts on Ducati Hypermoto in Georgetown/Austin area?

Reaction score
Hey, all,

I recently sold my 2020BMW R1250RT and got an Africa Twin with lotsa' farkles. I thought it would ne a nice, light fun bike for around here. I'm finding (as I did this weekend) that big and heavy are just kind of miserable in Austin traffic and Texas heat. It would be one thing if I had the DCT Adventure Sports version with the DCT and 19" front wheel, but that's not what I've got.

I went and test rode a Ducati Desert Sled. It was STUPID fun and I was grinning like an idiot the entire time I rode it. A buddy of mine is an old Ducatista, and he's telling me that I if I liked that, I'd love the Supermotard.

Any thoughts? What about heat from the engine and this Texas wind at speed? I went and put a new windshield on my AT but it's still pretty miserable and noisy (...guess I got used to the sport cruiser comforts). I'm 56, so not a young man anymore.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts/experiences. Thanks!

I didn't like the 2010 Hypermotard I had. Heavy clutch pull, ran poorly before 4k RPM. No fun in traffic. Wind beat me up at speed, but it was a riot in the twisties. Not really fun unless I was being a hooligan didn't keep it long.

The Africa Twin, on there other hand, I love. Easy to handle at all speeds, comfortable, light clutch, plenty of power, etc. Mine is a 2019 standard model. It did take a little adjusting to get the wind protection right. A forkshield (Google it) and a clip on windshield extension did it for me. Both are visible in this pic. The forkshield is behind the bar clamps in front of the tank filler.

PXL_20220220_164250223.jpg

William,

THANK YOU for your thoughtful reply! Here's mine. Its the base '21 1100. Previous owner added a bunch (Givi boxes not pictured).

I just added: 1) National Cycle VStream windshield; 2) oil change; 3) brake pads and brake fluids/flush; 4) kickstand; and 5) new Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. I thought it would change everything. Now, my vision starts to blur near about 80 mph - don't know if that, the tires, or something else. So it kinda' bummed me out having that experience this weekend.

Yep, I'm starting to think the forkshield is a must.

Is your AT "snatchy" at all? Mine is irritating at lower speeds because it's so jerky. I have to feather the clutch A LOT.

Snatchy isn't quite how I'd describe it, but yeah, it's a lot of motor at low speeds. I use the clutch a bit to make it gentler. I've not ridden an 1100, do I don't know how different it feels, but I've heard they have more grunt down low in the revs vs my 1000.

As for the airflow, I found the forkshield to be necessary. I also tried a larger windshield first, the Honda accessory one. Didn't help. Still needed the lip on top, but out the lip in my line of sight. Ended up back with the stock screen and the lip with the forkshield. I know the screens are different on the 1100s, so I'm not sure what the the right screen is for that one. I know the standard model got a shorter screen, I'm not sure of the relative height of the AS screen. I'd definitely get a forkshield before writing it off. The little lip can be had on Amazon pretty cheaply too.

I could not find fault with my 2017 DCT AT, and I loved it. A little windshield update, some plastic around the front top of the tank and it was really into the "half decent" wind protection category. I loved the DCT. I can see how the throttle might be too abrupt on a standard AT in various more aggressive ride mode settings which could be the problem. It is that way for my arthritic caffeine shaky hands on my 16' GSA as well if in "dynamic pro" mode, so I stick to basic "road mode" and use cruise control a lot. I did not find an AT to feel like a heavy bike really. It sucks the headlight out of the AT on demand though if you are into that. Some crazy Italian crack head hyperventilating motard would as well, but keep your checkbook close by, you are going to reach for it monthly as you get acquainted with the Duc shop and it's service department.

Another thought on the "snappiness". Try setting the power and engine braking to level two instead of full power level 1. On mine it helps smooth things out a bit at low speed. I think the 1100 has 4 levels where I have 3. Just give them a try. I found level 2 just adjusted the throttle sensitivity without limiting power output.

Another thought on the "snappiness". Try setting the power and engine braking to level two instead of full power level 1. On mine it helps smooth things out a bit at low speed. I think the 1100 has 4 levels where I have 3. Just give them a try. I found level 2 just adjusted the throttle sensitivity without limiting power output.
Hey, awesome! THANKS!!!

The Africa Twin, on there other hand, I love. Easy to handle at all speeds, comfortable, light clutch, plenty of power, etc. Mine is a 2019 standard model. It did take a little adjusting to get the wind protection right. A forkshield (Google it) and a clip on windshield extension did it for me. Both are visible in this pic. The forkshield is behind the bar clamps in front of the tank filler.
What he said. On my 19 I was really disappointed in the amount of buffeting I got. Tried a few things but @misterk recommended the windshield extension so I bought one from Amazon for $15 or so and ordered a forkshield to go with it. It made a world of difference. I'm now riding an RT and it will spoil you, so you may be ruined if that was your previous bike. ;-) That high fender could be part of the issue also, I did that on a 950 Adventure at one point and ended up going back to stock.

Hope you find exactly what you need!

I could not find fault with my 2017 DCT AT, and I loved it. A little windshield update, some plastic around the front top of the tank and it was really into the "half decent" wind protection category. I loved the DCT. I can see how the throttle might be too abrupt on a standard AT in various more aggressive ride mode settings which could be the problem. It is that way for my arthritic caffeine shaky hands on my 16' GSA as well if in "dynamic pro" mode, so I stick to basic "road mode" and use cruise control a lot. I did not find an AT to feel like a heavy bike really. It sucks the headlight out of the AT on demand though if you are into that. Some crazy Italian crack head hyperventilating motard would as well, but keep your checkbook close by, you are going to reach for it monthly as you get acquainted with the Duc shop and it's service department.
Thanks, Ed! Yeah, I usually just used Road mode on my 1250RT as well. I would switch over when going into tighter twisties as it just seemed more "sure," if that makes any sense. But service costs - they always seem to hit just when you need the money for something else, too. Is the Duc a two-wheeled Ferrari? There's an argument there, I think.

What he said. On my 19 I was really disappointed in the amount of buffeting I got. Tried a few things but @misterk recommended the windshield extension so I bought one from Amazon for $15 or so and ordered a forkshield to go with it. It made a world of difference. I'm now riding an RT and it will spoil you, so you may be ruined if that was your previous bike. ;-) That high fender could be part of the issue also, I did that on a 950 Adventure at one point and ended up going back to stock.

Hope you find exactly what you need!
Thanks, John!

Unfortunately, you're correct - it DID spoil me. Almost everything I've ridden since the feels crude. (I know that's a terribly unfair statement).

I looked at a 2024 RT at RideNow Austin this weekend. I found myself getting emotional just looking at it. It may not be the sexiest ride - it screams "BMW Dad" - but pretty is as pretty does, and it's pretty baddass in the Triple Black configuration! However, there is something to be said for smaller and lighter in and around the city. I'm not riding through rural and mountain areas of New Mexico and Colorado any more; just around town and maybe the Texas hill country.

Maybe a Duc is really a second bike. I sure can't see taking a V4 Street Fighter on an 8 hour drive to Big Bend and tooling around unpaved roads, ya' know?

It was a family tragedy and a LOT of cash was needed. That’s passed. Sometimes I wonder if there is any difference between Japanese German and Italian bike costs?

There sure as at time of purchase! I do all my own maintenance, so service dept prices don't really apply to me. I'll let someone with more experience chime in in that.

Something about BMW, KTM, and Ducati, that makes the premium worth it. Obviously for some it's not worth it, kinda what makes them standout. Not one on every scooter ride! I've had 5 BMWs, 1 Ducati, and seriously can't count how many KTMs. Other than having to replace the radiator on my current 850 (under warranty), they've been just as reliable as the Jap bikes I've had. I do all my maintenance and as much work as I can. Doubt I'd try the valve adjustment on the Ducati.

Attachments

• 20240225_124607.jpg
    20240225_124607.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 14
Something about BMW, KTM, and Ducati, that makes the premium worth it. Obviously for some it's not worth it, kinda what makes them standout. Not one on every scooter ride! I've had 5 BMWs, 1 Ducati, and seriously can't count how many KTMs. Other than having to replace the radiator on my current 850 (under warranty), they've been just as reliable as the Jap bikes I've had. I do all my maintenance and as much work as I can. Doubt I'd try the valve adjustment on the Ducati.
Thanks for your response woodsguy! That’s a nice GS850 you’ve got there! My first BMW was an 800 GSA. I went EVERYWHERE with that thing.

You know, I’m starting to think that maybe I just want something smaller and “easier.” I don’t live out West anymore, and tall and heavy is no fun in Austin traffic. I think that recent Ducati Desert Sled ride just put a hook in me, and now everything feels big, heavy, ponderous and overpowered. Wind protection was non-existent and it burned my left leg, but I was having too much fun to care maybe I should consider the same route you’ve taken?

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0176.jpeg

Thanks for your response woodsguy! That’s a nice GS850 you’ve got there! My first BMW was an 800 GSA. I went EVERYWHERE with that thing.

You know, I’m starting to think that maybe I just want something smaller and “easier.” I don’t live out West anymore, and tall and heavy is no fun in Austin traffic. I think that recent Ducati Desert Sled ride just put a hook in me, and now everything feels big, heavy, ponderous and overpowered. Wind protection was non-existent and it burned my left leg, but I was having too much fun to care maybe I should consider the same route you’ve taken?

View attachment 375865

View attachment 375866
Well it's still tall and heavy but as you said goes anywhere and just a blast to explore on. Sit up tall in traffic and see whats up. Great on dirt roads. Easy exploring on trails.

Back