• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

To Zumo XT / XT2 or stick with my TrailTech

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
So I have the new KTM 890 Adventure R and am starting to add a few things. I am pondering if it is time to get a larger GPS. My TrailTech has served me well for many years, but everyone seems to be putting the Zumo XT or Zumo XT2 on these bikes. They seem a bit large, but my eyes are not what they used to be either.

Looking for input...

Thanks, Mike

I like my XT. It replaced a 396 that died on me. The improved screen resolution is great. I don't think it's too large. Here it is on the Twin in both orientations. I didn't like it vertical.

PXL_20221231_190353620.jpg

PXL_20230113_142437428.jpg

I don't know about the Trailtech but the resolution and brightness of the XT is worth the money all on it's own.

I came from a 595 and had to always tilt it and lift my tinted visor to barely see what I needed to see. Especially bad in Big Bend with bright sunlight and dusty conditions. None of that is necessary with the XT. Can see it from all angles, in bright sunlight, with my visor down.

i concur about the brightly lit screen being a plus... and it's shockproof, buzz proof, don't shut down due to sunlight heating it up...all pluses that a cell phone lacks.

but for navigating on the road, google maps is still better, easier to zoom, shows hotel and gas stations and coffee shops, etc...in split seconds, warns you about speedtraps & broken down cars, and waze's you around gridlock far quicker, better, and more accurate than garmin.

and their bluetooth connectivity wreaks havoc w/ any other bt devices shared. I've also had probs getting gps routes bt in from other buddies zumo xt.

these days, i only use my xt as a back up b/c i'm not all that impressed w/ it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I am used to my TrailTech, but it is really only for displaying tracks you can follow. It is bright, great touch screen, but much smaller and isn't really used for "routing" on the fly. That has been a problem when things go wrong on a ride, and you have to adapt. I had forgot about those situations which makes me think the XT is the way to go. Anybody compare the XT to the XT2. I understand it is a little larger and more modern BT.

Biggest improvement I'm aware of in the XT2 is in the power cable for wiring it to your bike. It runs 12v straight to the unit rather than the XT and older models having a 12v to 5v converter box on the cable.

When you first put the XT on your bike your first thought is "Man that is huge!" and then 10 minutes later you are like "Eh, could be bigger."

<Insert "That's what she said" joke here>

I'd grab up an XT2 if I were shopping now. I'm happy with my XT but have too much money sunk into mounts and cables and Touratech stuff to move up right now.

Which ever you can find the best deal on. Both are great. Put the app on your phone for weather radar and some other useful stuff.

So I have the new KTM 890 Adventure R and am starting to add a few things. I am pondering if it is time to get a larger GPS. My TrailTech has served me well for many years, but everyone seems to be putting the Zumo XT or Zumo XT2 on these bikes. They seem a bit large, but my eyes are not what they used to be either.

Looking for input...

Thanks, Mike
I just Use All-Trails APP for all my rides. I donā€™t even turn on GPS anymore šŸ˜€

Back