• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trail Riding the San Rafael Swell

Many years ago I saw one of Ridefreak's videos of Chloride Canyon in NM. I finally got to ride it in 2019 and two more times since. Check his youtube channel, many great videos.

Yeah, it is difficult to make off road videos others enjoy as well. The drone does a fantastic job. I wonder if the Skydio is not as painful to deal with as the Mavic Pro2.

Chloride Canyon looks really nice JT. Hopefully, I will get a chance to ride it in September.

Last year, we used their Poison Spring Canyon and Bears Ears video to scout some of southern Utah before we went.

I've ridden with Chris and company. They are a fun group who can ride...and yes...Chris' video and editing skills are outstanding. One of the other frequent riding partners sometimes seen in those videos is also from TX, so it proves that Chris will ride with anyone.:lol2:

Why not a group from TX to make a few rides? Should be easy to arrange locals to guide us along. Tons of great riding close to Albq also, easy access and trip.

That drone was moving right along. Seems like they fit better in tighter twisty stuff. Surely adds a cool dimension to videos. It'd be hard to drive through moab along the way without unloading the bikes for a while.

Last edited:
Why not a group from TX to make a few rides? Should be easy to arrange locals to guide us along. Tons of great riding close to Albq also, easy access and trip.
There is a few places starting around Frankston and then east. backcountry dirt road south and east of the Neches.
North of 175 there is some good places.
One place i want to go back to is an overgrown county road that Thrilbilly and i found. has a dectent bridge to get over some creek, then a water crossing, continuing own you run any type of was suppose to be a road.. Once making you way further in the road is washed out and you riding the top of a bank just enough room to call it a single track. Going further the 'road' changes to an uphill wash that is filled with tires (only way to go) so you have to climb out of there is to ride the old tires. once at top of that hill, the road goes through private land (still county road). Gate is unlock, dirt road through farm to 155 (gate unlocked here also).
ThrillBilly and i found a lot places to ride out in that area. Wanting to do it again when bike ready.

That trail looks like a superhighway now compared to just 12 years ago. I miss off road riding so much when I see these videos!

I don't know which was more fascinating, watching the drone in action or the bikes!?

I could never be comfortable riding that close together. They must ride together a LOT to be comfortable doing that.
Trail riding, we ride as close as we can keep up! Sometimes it's close sometimes way back. Now the guys I ride with push but very rarely do we pass. Not racing.

There is a few places starting around Frankston and then east. backcountry dirt road south and east of the Neches.
North of 175 there is some good places.
One place i want to go back to is an overgrown county road that Thrilbilly and i found. has a dectent bridge to get over some creek, then a water crossing, continuing own you run any type of was suppose to be a road.. Once making you way further in the road is washed out and you riding the top of a bank just enough room to call it a single track. Going further the 'road' changes to an uphill wash that is filled with tires (only way to go) so you have to climb out of there is to ride the old tires. once at top of that hill, the road goes through private land (still county road). Gate is unlock, dirt road through farm to 155 (gate unlocked here also).
ThrillBilly and i found a lot places to ride out in that area. Wanting to do it again when bike ready.
Sounds most intriguing. Let me know if y'all want to go stir some dirt.

Back