• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TriTon!

Very nice! A screen over the the timing window would be a nice touch, or, if your taste runs that way, you could put a stock cover on it and drill it, then drill the footpeg mounting plates to match. Do you need to put muffler mounts on the back ends of those plates?

rt

I'm going to trim the plates and tie the muffler tabs to the original featherbed pillion peg mount locations.

Personally, I don't like drilling as a decorative function, and a much easier way to lose 10 pounds on a race bike is to stop eating burgers and shakes for 3 months.

Well, I know better than to argue aesthetics, beauty is in the eye and all that, but I personally would find it much easier to drill a thousand holes with a brace and bit than to give up burgers for three months! Shakes, maybe, but burgers - no way!

I admire your work, sir!

rt

No updates. My wyfe got a paying job which started this past Monday, and I've been doing "Mr.Mom" all week, will be doing so again next week and 'till school starts.

Meanwhile I had one of my clients in the shop last week and we built up and installed the forks and rear end with gear drive on his '82 Magna chassis. Besides that, I've sold several featherbed swingarm spindle kits on e-bay and forums, so I've been in my friend's shop turning them out, as well as helping him build new walls to enclose and eventually air condition it.

This week will be slow, as we are finalizing our adoption on Friday, then taking off to the beach for the weekend; so, plenty to do in anticipation of those two events.

As far as the TriTon, I still need to re-orient the kickstarter gear on it's shaft to yield at least 180 degrees of engagement, then re-index the 5-speed box (must have missed a tooth on the quadrant). Not much more besides servicing all the fluids then giving it the heave-ho.

...and a much easier way to lose 10 pounds on a race bike is to stop eating burgers and shakes for 3 months.

When I was bike (bicycle) racing my coach would laugh at the guys who could stand to lose a few obsessing over carbon frames, titanium parts and could they save 20 grams by switching pedals!

Some people say the unit engine looks "lost" inside the featherbed frame, like there's too much empty space; I disagree, I think it looks nicely proportional.

403525757.jpg

"Empty space" my backside (as my Geordie wife would say). By that metric the Ducati 900SS is the ugliest bike ever made.

I think the proportions are spot on. This is a real cafe job not some online-bolt-together or built-in-4-days reality TV special. It looks right in the same way a Boeing 747 or classic Mercedes 300D looks right. Form follows function.

"Empty space" my backside (as my Geordie wife would say). By that metric the Ducati 900SS is the ugliest bike ever made.

I think the proportions are spot on. This is a real cafe job not some online-bolt-together or built-in-4-days reality TV special. It looks right in the same way a Boeing 747 or classic Mercedes 300D looks right. Form follows function.
I'm with Philip; it's perfect! :sun:

Thanx, guys, I appreciate the positive comments.

Believe it or not, there are some Norton purists that verbally crucify even the nicest of the nice TriTons, due to the fact that they don't use Norton engines.

"May as well stick a Harley in there" Well, no, thanx (although I've seen it done pretty tastefully).

Thanx, guys, I appreciate the positive comments.

Believe it or not, there are some Norton purists that verbally crucify even the nicest of the nice TriTons, due to the fact that they don't use Norton engines.

"May as well stick a Harley in there" Well, no, thanx (although I've seen it done pretty tastefully).

Well, actually, a Harley in a Featherbed frame might be really cool! :sun:

(Can you tell I'm not a purist?) :rider:

She is gorgeous.

I have a dream to do something similar. Too bad you live so far from me as I would hire you to help me build it. I have neither the skill, ability, patience, knowledge,.... only the desire.

Well done sir! :clap: love to see (and hear) a video when you give it a kick.

:popcorn:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMwMfIDdkPY"]norton racing bikes in padock at goodwood revival 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I'd love to finish the triton, but we're about to pick a house this weekend, then about a month off to get the move to Austin done!

Yep, I 've seen that bike several times recently. I call it the "FeatherHead".

I don't particularly care for the disc brake, but the rest of the bike is quite nice indeed...

UPDATE: Got an alloy tank on the Triton a few years back. It's still just a show piece...

IMG_7505.JPG

Back