• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TxDot Public Road Source

TNC

Reaction score
I had a link or a download of that TxDot site that showed what roads were open to public travel, but apparently I have misplaced it or lost it. I've done a google search looking for the source, but I haven't seen what I had before which I think was county by county. Anyone here able to provide the link or exact source if that info? I believe I originally obtained that info here from the TWT site but just can't find it now.

Can someone clarify this TxDot link we're talking about here? I thought this link displayed all the public roads in each county. Apparently that's not the case. Is there a site somewhere that shows a map of all public roads in the state of Texas?

For the link I pointed to, you have to either print or patch together each of the grid maps using jpg/bmp/etc snapshots within a given county, if you want to see a full county map. I use MyRoute-app for creating my ride routes, but these TxDOT grid maps are useful in cross-checking to identify real accessible country roads. If it is on these grid maps you can ride it, in my experience. They maps do not show any private roads.

Hope that helps.

rlejr...but for example, that road off hwy 170 that goes into the Big Bend Ranch State Park...Bofecillos road...which is clearly public will not show up on that grid for Presidio county.

I have used these grid maps for Kimble, Sutton, Edwards, Kerr, Gillespie, Mason and Menard counties. They only show Interstate, US, SH, FM, RR, RM, LP and county roads. I have seen a few named roads, which I assume to be county or state maintained like Old Segovia Rd in Kimble County. My guess is TxDOT does not recognize Bofecillos Rd as any of those road designation types I mention above. Admittedly that doesn't make sense considering it is a state park. I only use them as one source to help keep me off ghost county roads that show up on some mapping apps. They are lacking in some ways for sure.

I have used these grid maps for Kimble, Sutton, Edwards, Kerr, Gillespie, Mason and Menard counties. They only show Interstate, US, SH, FM, RR, RM, LP and county roads. I have seen a few named roads, which I assume to be county or state maintained like Old Segovia Rd in Kimble County. My guess is TxDOT does not recognize Bofecillos Rd as any of those road designation types I mention above. Admittedly that doesn't make sense considering it is a state park. I only use them as one source to help keep me off ghost county roads that show up on some mapping apps. They are lacking in some ways for sure.
That's what's odd. Bofecillos isn't really even in the park. I'm guessing it's a county road. Then consider Upper Shafter Road over by Shafter. It even has its own highway sign for the turnoff, but it doesn't show on the TxDOT map. I would really like to find a reliable map or source that lays out public roads in the state.

Both Bofecillos and Upper Shafter Rds are on the Statewide Planning map. Bofecillos (on Googlemaps) is called Amarillo Rd and Upper Shafter (Googlemaps) is called Hueso St or Shafter Loop on the planning map.

Last edited:
Notice that you can change the base map on the State Planning Map webpage. Look at the upper section of the left sidebar on the page and try switching to the ESRI or OSM basemaps, locate the road you wish to reference, then switch back to the TxDOT map to see if it shows up.

Both Bofecillos and Upper Shafter Rds are on the Statewide Planning map. Bofecillos (on Googlemaps) is called Amarillo Rd and Upper Shafter (Googlemaps) is called Hueso St or Shafter Loop on the planning map.
JT, I see your suggestions on the planning map, but I'm missing how this helps to determine if they're public roads. Is the TxDOT map you're referring to the one I was looking for to begin with?...the one rlejr cited?...or something else? I see those two roads I mentioned earlier on both the ESRI and OSM maps, but nothing shows for those at Shafter. Even Bocifillos...or Amarillo...stops in the middle of nowhere to the north, and its well before the state park line. This stuff is pretty confusing.

All roads on the DOT Planning Map are public roads. Google maps, Apple maps, Garmin maps and Open Street maps show public and some private roads and some roads that no longer exist. The TxDOT planning map is the best reference we have to locate public roads. I suggested using OSM or ESRI to make it easier to locate the roads you wish to check. Once located, switch to the TxDOT map to see if it shows up there.
If you turn north on Bofecillos Rd from Hwy170, the state park boundary is about +/-570ft from the pavement. The next 5.4 miles of Bofecillos is on state park property.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 10.47.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 10.47.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 10.42.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 10.43.19 PM.png

Back