• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Weight of the Farkles

Reaction score
So I was curious about the weight of my 2021 T700 as it sits today. Claimed curb weight when purchased was 452 lbs. The farkles that I have added are as follows: Tusk panniers with quick release plates and tail rack, Apache 4800 side boxes, Apache 3800 top box, Motech center stand, replaced stock seat with a Sargent. In the photo, the side boxes are empty, the top box is completely full with the stock tool bag, more tools that I added, a new tube, patching/plugging kit, very small air compressor, 2 tire irons, rags, etc. The bike also has a full fuel tank.

From the feed mill scale where I get supplies: 515 LBS! Wow, I thought that I had been very careful to stay as light as possible when setting up the bike, but instead added 63 lbs. I have been putting off adding engine guards because of their weight. Now I'm glad that I did. I rode BBRSP last month and struggled with the road down into Tres Papalotes. The rainfall since I was last out there has washed the road system to the point that rock shelves and big rocks pepper many of the roads in BBRSP. I was guessing the farkles, tools, and tire necessities would get the T700 to 485ish. Man, I was wrong!
20230306_105518.jpg

I just bought a couple of bathroom scales to measure the curb weight of my bikes. It’ll be fun to see how close the published specs are to reality.

-Jeff

Thanks for posting that weight detail on the T7. Yeah, I don't think the T7 is really "Big Bend Ranch" appropriate. My XR650L was even too heavy for much of those tracks - it made it, but was a handful! The view from inside the Solitario is pretty amazing, though!

Tools can easily add 5 lbs at least, tubes are heavier than you'd expect, and every other little thing also adds up.

I'd be interested to know if you could confirm that 452LB curb weight - I'm always a little uncertain how "claimed curb" actually compared to real-world ready-to-ride weight!

I'd love to put my Africa Twin on a scale to see what it actually weighs. I know I've added a good bit of weight to it but I'm curious as to how much.

> I just bought a couple of bathroom scales to measure the curb weight of my bikes. It’ll be fun to see how close the published specs are to reality.

You can also weigh one wheel at time. Just make sure the wheel off the scale is up on a block that's the same height as the scale. I've done this on a couple bikes and think it's accurate enough for this kinda thing...

This build, I weighed parts off and parts on. I added 30 lbs, 20 off 50 on. Not bad for all that armor.

I love it when I see folks that chase the lightest bike possible and then put 100lbs of junk all over it. My old KLR has an aluminum skid plate, the plastic gas tank instead of the metal one, a set of aluminum hand guards, and a Pelican case bolted directly to the rear of the bike. That is it, no crash bars, no luggage racks, no center stand, no headlight guards, no tool tubes, and so on.

Want a bike to be lightweight for off pavement? Then pull the center stand off of it, ALL the luggage and racks. You need tools and tubes so no getting around that. I'd also look at going aftermarket on the exhaust. The stock exhausts all weigh a ton!

I weighed my T7 on race car scales a while back: Adjusting fuel, dry it would be about 446. Adds: Camel skid plate, Adventure spec bars, saddlebag mounts and rear rack. (aluminum) Huzar exhaust. LED turn signals, tail tidy. One of these days I'll change the battery for L-ION to save another 5#. It still won't be light to pick up!

Getting the weight low makes a BIG difference. Lose the top case and go with soft panniers and you will notice a significant difference, even on a big bike like a GS.

Light is right. I went Giant Loop to keep the weight down. IIRC a Coyote bag weighs about 10 pounds.

Then you have to go down the rabbit hole of ultralight camping gear to pack in it. Then throw away your chair or give it to someone who’s disabled and really needs it. 😁

Back