• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is the best Time of Year to buy a bike ?

Reaction score
By "best" I mean "cheapest", when bike prices are lowest. 🙂

I speculate it's around November because...
  • Guys realize and accept they didn't really ride very much all summer.

• They need money for Hunting Season toys: fancier guns, fashionable new gear, 4-wheelers, etc.

• The requirement to fund Christ'smass presents for the Wife and kids is right around the corner.

Maybe it's really February/March when Spring Cleaning of the garage or barn begins? Some other time?

I'm with you. Late in the year before holidays. I try to keep extra disposable cash on hand between November and February. More than just motorcycles. Dudes will sell all sorts of good stuff for cheap to pay for those holiday credit card bills. I'm a vulture that way. Cash in hand, head on a swivel looking for bargains.

As an offshoot on this, I was recently involved in a very spirited discussion on another forum board discussing keeping cash on hand. Seems a lot of people are too paranoid to keep a lot of physical cash at their disposal. Afraid of losing it or being robbed or whatever. As for me, cash at my fingertips constantly. When a smoking deal pops up on the weekend, I'm gonna be there and gone before those other guys can figure out how to get ahold of enough cash to buy it. ATMs limit how quickly they can withdraw on a Sunday or whatever. I'll strike as quick as a rattlesnake counting out those hundred dollar bills if the deal is right.

For years it always seemed like November to February was the time to buy but anymore it looks like if you have cash, patience and enjoy negotiating you can score big.
I only have 1 of the 3.

Right at the end of the year is often the best time to buy a new bike from a dealer. They're more likely to cut a deal to avoid inventory taxes or to get last year's model out before the next year's model comes in. Best deals I've seen have been late November to late December on new old stock bikes.

Last edited:
Right now apparently, lots of great bikes for sale at good prices that folks can't seem to get even a nibble on.
That ain't no lie. I can't for the life of me sell that 13 Bonnie and it's been on Marketplace and CL. I thought 4K for a heavily modified 13 Bonnie with under 10k miles was a good deal. Bueller, Bueller.....
I blame the economy mostly but also less cycle riders now. Heck, I was almost a hood ornament Sunday. The only upside, the driver was hawt.

I'll admit I am way more hesitant on riding these days between the amount of traffic and distracted drivers. Along with working from home full time. Added up, I am way less likely to spend money on another bike.

Late fall, late winter. Not as many bikes bought that time of year. I agree on the motorcycle market softening up. Bikes are staying on the market longer nowadays. To get the great left-over deal in February for my current Tracer purchase I did a trade for my ‘14 V-Strom 1000 ADV. Selling it on the market would have taken awhile for what I wanted for it and I might’ve missed out on the GT, and I at least got close to that from the dealer.

January seems best for price deals but also out of state since their riding seasons are abbreviated. Prices and rates go down come November and December, but January is when a dealer really wants last year's bikes off their floors, so discounts are a little deeper and rates even lower. I bought my Guzzi in January for $3600 under msrp and in Ohio since it was still getting snow. They're happy to move product when riding season is mostly non-existent. A dealer in Maine and New Hampshire was also steeply discounting their MGs in January, about $2500 under MSRP.

Used bike prices have been a roller-coaster since covid kicked in. Prices jumped up as new inventory dropped and a moto ride was a great solo pastime. I guess all those are back on the market and driving used prices back down. Any stats on the used moto inventory over time? My FJ for sale here is, IMO, super cheap right now. I've had three "serious" guys take a look - and all three bought other bikes. Two specifically said they got crazy-good pricing on something else. So, folks ARE buying used bikes now, just slower and cheaper...

I picked up 4 bikes this year, prices are great, I do want to sell a few, but i managed to move one.

Back